Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pleased to see the back of Oscar

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Best thing to happen to the Albion for a while:
- hopefully an end to our stifingly boring style of football
- we can get a manager with some personality who can inspire the team
- a manager who might just consider that the fans would like to see some attacking football
- no more embarrassment of being the 6th lowest goal scorers in the division
- no more home games with three wingers on the bench and none in the starting line-up
- a manager who knows when a player is off form before (or at least at the same time as) the fans, e.g. Spanish Dave (how long did it take Oscar to finally drop him?); Lingard who was obviously too lightweight for this division (March should have played in his place yesterday - a much stronger player with equal talent); JFC who clearly is very much work in progress and was totally lost in the first leg
- a manager who does not bring in players and then not play them e.g. Agustein, Spanish Rod, Lita, Obika - if they're no good don't sign them
- a manager who won't throw away a real chance of reaching an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley by playing a weakened team

It appears that many on NSC are sorry to see him go. Personally I am confident that Tony and the Board will get us someone very much better who will become a firm favourite with ALL Albion fans.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
oscar.jpg

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
My head says that Oscar did well in the circumstances.

My heart says that I found this season dull and for someone has been a season ticket holder for 25 years, a little dispiriting. We never quite clicked on the field - a Poyet-lite style with little attacking intent. The management team, as personalities, never really resonated with fans or media.

However, despite the obvious issues our coaches have with budgets, we're now a well established top-end Championship side that seems well placed to go up. Who will be the man to do that?

Personally I like the idea of Tim Sherwood. Premiership experience, good contacts, strong / outgoing personality and something to prove. Would also be happy with Malky.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So much hand-wringing and blame on here right now, for what? Why so gutted we've lost Oscar? I'm bloomin' delighted!

This is a guy who took over an excellent team, a team that with the additions of Upson and Ulloa in the January transfer window was the best in the championship in the second half of last year, and somehow stumbled them into 6th place. A 6th place finish based SOLELY on the defence, a defence assembled and schooled by our previous manager. Oscar's task was to make us better attacking and he failed. He presided over the departure of Bridcutt, Barnes and El-Abd, heroes of our fantastic last three years and brought in dross. To quote Burke "the manager gets the final say on all transfers". Players have been fighting on the field, great players in the last few years have suffered massive losses of form. The football has been stultifying dull and boring with exciting moments few and far between. He gave up on the cup-tie with Hull before we even kicked off.

At the end of it all he is the gall to quit on us after just one year. Perhaps he thinks the jammy 6th place, built entirely on his predecessors foundations and injury 'excuse' will stand him in good stead to get his next job?

This is the guy that we head-hunted, that encouraged Bloom to give up on repairing relations with Poyet, and to what end?

NOW we rebuild. NOW we can get back to fulfilling the vision. Tony, get it right this time.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
- a manager who might just consider that the fans would like to see some attacking football
- no more home games with three wingers on the bench and none in the starting line-up
- a manager who knows when a player is off form before (or at least at the same time as) the fans, e.g. Spanish Dave (how long did it take Oscar to finally drop him?); Lingard who was obviously too lightweight for this division (March should have played in his place yesterday - a much stronger player with equal talent); JFC who clearly is very much work in progress and was totally lost in the first leg
- a manager who does not bring in players and then not play them e.g. Agustein, Spanish Rod, Lita, Obika - if they're no good don't sign them
- a manager who won't throw away a real chance of reaching an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley by playing a weakened team

It appears that many on NSC are sorry to see him go. Personally I am confident that Tony and the Board will get us someone very much better who will become a firm favourite with ALL Albion fans.

Errrrrr. .......but 'Tony and tbe board' have, according to you, f****d up already by signing OG - so what's going to stop them doing so again next time?!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
So much hand-wringing and blame on here right now, for what? Why so gutted we've lost Oscar? I'm bloomin' delighted!

This is a guy who took over an excellent team, a team that with the additions of Upson and Ulloa in the January transfer window was the best in the championship in the second half of last year, and somehow stumbled them into 6th place. A 6th place finish based SOLELY on the defence, a defence assembled and schooled by our previous manager. Oscar's task was to make us better attacking and he failed. He presided over the departure of Bridcutt, Barnes and El-Abd, heroes of our fantastic last three years and brought in dross. To quote Burke "the manager gets the final say on all transfers". Players have been fighting on the field, great players in the last few years have suffered massive losses of form. The football has been stultifying dull and boring with exciting moments few and far between. He gave up on the cup-tie with Hull before we even kicked off.

At the end of it all he is the gall to quit on us after just one year. Perhaps he thinks the jammy 6th place, built entirely on his predecessors foundations and injury 'excuse' will stand him in good stead to get his next job?

This is the guy that we head-hunted, that encouraged Bloom to give up on repairing relations with Poyet, and to what end?

NOW we rebuild. NOW we can get back to fulfilling the vision. Tony, get it right this time.

Bloody hell - reading this is like reading Animal Farm where history gets re - written. We all know you love Poyet but that love appears to have affected your memory.

It was impossible to 'repair relations with Poyet' simply because he didn't want to be here. Perfectly illustrated by him offering his resignation on March 17, the day of the Palace game. You tell me why Tony Bloom would even want to attempt repairing relations with a man who did that? A man that was constantly covetting other clubs after being his big chance as an untried, unproven, unemployed assistant manager. And how do you know attempts weren't made?

As for Garcia presiding over the departure of Bridcutt, Barnes and el Abd, don't you think there was nothing he could do about it? Poyet had already ensured we had an under performing Bridcutt who quite obviously didn't want to play for The Albion anymore. Barnes wanted a move in the same way Murray did when Poyet was in charge and el Abd didn't fit in with Garcia's plans (and isn't exactly setting the world alight in Bristol).

I'm not in the loop that you appear to be in where you know that it was Garcia who brought the replacements in rather than by Burke as now looks probable. I say probable simply because I don't know if that was the case or not, whereas you clearly do.

Be happy that he has gone but don't pad out your delight with nonsense.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Goldstone. Having slept on yesterdays goings on, I feel in, I think a similar vein from you. For most of the season the product on the pitch has been uninspiring, and my judgement of how the team has progressed has been due to the current run into the playoffs, where I personally believe we had no right to be there.

One of the big issues with Oscars formation and tactics, was that there was not enough movement off the ball. Especially from the midfield, so that the centre forwards were isolated for most of the time. Yes it could be said that with the injuries the team had, especially up front, that created another problem, but due to the midfield lack of movement, to me he had no creative idea of any plan B. And adding to that, the club found a wonderful player in Ince, who made my heart skip a beat in his first performance at Whitehawk, who could run forward and terrify defenders, and he plays the man in a deeper defensive role, or not at all, with little, or no explanation.

To be honest, i think, it's another hissy fit, from a manager who thinks he knows better. I hope we find someone that can and will work with David Burke, who although no day to day manager with the players, understands that germ of a seed in a player at a young age, that can bloom and blossom. He, I think is the new Peter Taylor, who needs a Clough up front, and then the seagulls will soar.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Bloody hell - reading this is like reading Animal Farm where history gets re - written. We all know you love Poyet but that love appears to have affected your memory.

It was impossible to 'repair relations with Poyet' simply because he didn't want to be here. Perfectly illustrated by him offering his resignation on March 17, the day of the Palace game. You tell me why Tony Bloom would even want to attempt repairing relations with a man who did that? A man that was constantly covetting other clubs after being his big chance as an untried, unproven, unemployed assistant manager. And how do you know attempts weren't made?

As for Garcia presiding over the departure of Bridcutt, Barnes and el Abd, don't you think there was nothing he could do about it? Poyet had already ensured we had an under performing Bridcutt who quite obviously didn't want to play for The Albion anymore. Barnes wanted a move in the same way Murray did when Poyet was in charge and el Abd didn't fit in with Garcia's plans (and isn't exactly setting the world alight in Bristol).

I'm not in the loop that you appear to be in where you know that it was Garcia who brought the replacements in rather than by Burke as now looks probable. I say probable simply because I don't know if that was the case or not, whereas you clearly do.

Be happy that he has gone but don't pad out your delight with nonsense.

You're free to take all the Poyet stuff out of my post, yes I liked him, no you didn't, but the rest of the substance stands. This is about Garcia.

I'm not in the loop that you appear to be in where you know that it was Garcia who brought the replacements in rather than by Burke as now looks probable.

I repeatedly heard Burke and Barber state that the manager has the final say on signings and no-one is brought in without the manager's approval.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings

Hallelujah. Same as that.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
You're free to take all the Poyet stuff out of my post, yes I liked him, no you didn't, but the rest of the substance stands. This is about Garcia.

I'm not in the loop that you appear to be in where you know that it was Garcia who brought the replacements in rather than by Burke as now looks probable.

I repeatedly heard Burke and Barber state that the manager has the final say on signings and no-one is brought in without the manager's approval.
I'd read the Naylor article, perhaps that will change your mind.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks

My heart says that I found this season dull and for someone has been a season ticket holder for 25 years, a little dispiriting. We never quite clicked on the field - a Poyet-lite style with little attacking intent. The management team, as personalities, never really resonated with fans or media.

Personally I like the idea of Tim Sherwood. Premiership experience, good contacts, strong / outgoing personality and something to prove. Would also be happy with Malky.

Pretty much agree with all that.
Am I happy he's gone - No. Am I sad he's gone - No.
I'm just a bit meh about the whole thing and that's because I never really warmed to Garcia. Though similar in playing style as a personality he was the anti-Poyet and I often found the silence deafening.

Keith at Work

Jul 28, 2003

However, despite the obvious issues our coaches have with budgets, we're now a well established top-end Championship side that seems well placed to go up. Who will be the man to do that?

Absolutely spot on. My thoughts entirely.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here