Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar: “The club has been aware of my thoughts for several weeks"

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
For me this is the most concerning part of the whole affair. He may have handled himself with more dignity than Gus but the net outcome is the same. He's told the board, before the season is up, that he won't be staying, even when we were still in with a shout of potential glory.

What is so rotten inside our club that these men cannot stand to stick at it? You're in a lovely location with a fantastic stadium, excellent facilities, huge crowds and what looks to us on the outside as a pretty decent setup... But something obviously isn't right.

What is it that stinks? What is the problem here?

By picking inexperienced managers do we leave ourselves open to this kind of behaviour because they've not seen enough of the footballing world to know what it's really like and reckon the grass may always be greener elsewhere? Or is there a genuinely deeper problem that we have to address?

We never did get to the bottom of Gus' leaving and you just know exactly the same thing will happen here. We're left in the dark. Again.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
A pretty important point.

2 promotion pushes, 2 playoff pushes, and at the very same time, two managers wanting out right in the thick of the fight.

Excuse me but WTF.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Where did GUS end up? and where is OSCAR likely to end up??

They are AMBITIOUS, YOUNG and SUCCESSFUL MANAGERS.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Pretty clear he perceived a disconnect between our comparative budget and expectations. Which is a problem if you don't control the playing budget but have to deliver results.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
For me this is the most concerning part of the whole affair. He may have handled himself with more dignity than Gus but the net outcome is the same. He's told the board, before the season is up, that he won't be staying, even when we were still in with a shout of potential glory.

What is so rotten inside our club that these men cannot stand to stick at it? You're in a lovely location with a fantastic stadium, excellent facilities, huge crowds and what looks to us on the outside as a pretty decent setup... But something obviously isn't right.

By picking inexperienced managers do we leave ourselves open to this kind of behaviour because they've not seen enough of the footballing world to know what it's really like and reckon the grass may always be greener elsewhere? Or is there a genuinely deeper problem that we have to address?

We never did get to the bottom of Gus' leaving and you just know exactly the same thing will happen here. We're left in the dark. Again.

I think I just said similar on my Money thread, playing budget plain and simples.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Last edited:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

As mentioned in another thread - we do not know what has gone on behind the scenes.

It is quite possible that Chairmen of other Clubs have seen what Oscar has achieved - despite inheriting the mess following Poyet's departure and recognising his own achievements given all the other constraints he has worked under this season.

Maybe Oscar now has other options elsewhere, so it will be interesting to see the calibre of job he is offered next.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

But why quit? Gus didn't walk into another job. He had to wait until somebody was desperate enough to take him on.

The chairman has never suggested he'd stand in the way if bigger clubs came calling. Don't just do one because you reckon you can do better. Wait and see if you get the offer.

If I quit my job tomorrow thinking "it'll be ok, I'll just get a better one" I'd be utterly screwed. Do a good job and the offer's will come. Walk out and you just look like you can't hack it.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
But why quit? Gus didn't walk into another job. He had to wait until somebody was desperate enough to take him on.

The chairman has never suggested he'd stand in the way if bigger clubs came calling. Don't just do one because you reckon you can do better. Wait and see if you get the offer.

If I quit my job tomorrow thinking "it'll be ok, I'll just get a better one" I'd be utterly screwed. Do a good job and the offer's will come. Walk out and you just look like you can't hack it.

I'll stick my neck out and say I doubt this was the scenario you just described.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

It's pretty hard to argue with that, IMHO.

The only possible good thing is the fact that, when it happened once, everyone - and it was pretty much everyone - dumped all the blame on Poyet. But when it happens again, this time with a quiet, studious guy like Oscar? Tricky.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

I mean no disrespect to anybody, but when I imagine the qualities I like to see in a manager, the qualities that will make a young, ambitious manager a successful one, they include being completely focused when you are in a fight and have a job to do. Telling Tony that they wanted out, during a promotion race, when the prize is the Premier League - is really bad form in my opinion. Not something I can admire or respect, and not a sign of a good manager in my opinion. That goes for both Gus and Oscar.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
All this mention of budgets being the problem does beg the question why decide to leave when you don't know whether on not you may even be in the Prem next year. Oscar clearly decided well before he knew the final outcome of this season.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
The only good thing that can be said about this ( and I'm clutching at straws here) is that if TB has known about this "for several weeks" he may well have already got someone in mind and this mess can be sorted out quickly. As I say - I'm clutching at straws . . .

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Turn it around perhaps the club were not sure about Garcia and were not prepared to back him ,leading to what has happened today.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'll stick my neck out and say I doubt this was the scenario you just described.

I'm not sure I follow. Please explain

I mean no disrespect to anybody, but when I imagine the qualities I like to see in a manager, the qualities that will make a young, ambitious manager a successful one, they include being completely focused when you are in a fight and have a job to do. Telling Tony that they wanted out, during a promotion race, when the prize is the Premier League - is really bad form in my opinion. Not something I can admire or respect, and not a sign of a good manager in my opinion. That goes for both Gus and Oscar.

EXACTLY. There was no telling where we may have got at the end of the season. What if we had gone all the way, on either occasion? Would these young, ambitious managers want to walk out on their first chance to manage in the Premier League?

All this mention of budgets being the problem does beg the question why decide to leave when you don't know whether on not you may even be in the Prem next year. Oscar clearly decided well before he knew the final outcome of this season.

Spot on. As above.

It's pretty hard to argue with that, IMHO.

The only possible good thing is the fact that, when it happened once, everyone - and it was pretty much everyone - dumped all the blame on Poyet. But when it happens again, this time with a quiet, studious guy like Oscar? Tricky.

Quite. That's why the eyebrows are being raised. You can sort of see, with hindsight, maybe Gus had felt he genuinely had taken the club as far as he could, and he'd had some bloody good times along the way. Bowing out then was ultimately annoying as it went messy, but you can't grumble about what he achieved in his time here. However, with Oscar, he's hardly given it a good crack. I was quite optimistic that two playoff setbacks could have actually been the making of us and that next year we could properly give it a go. I know the money's not up there with the big boys, but a bad workman blames his tools

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

No one was "desperate enough". He's a ****ing good manager.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Both Oscar and Gus are ambitious young managers and to make us a success built on young talent development and minimal funds is a long time project with no guarantee of success. Can see why they would prefer to take chances elsewhere and a shortcut to the top

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here