Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the love of God bring Calde to Assistant Manager status...

Dec 29, 2011
Has he got his qualifications yet?

Not as essential as a manager. He wouldn't be picking teams and trying formations, he'd be there to spur on the team, give encouragement and let the players know fully what is expected of them by the fans. Poyet, Tanno, Garcia, Jones.. whatever management credentials they had I couldn't see their passion for the club like you can with Calderon.

On top of that, Calderon's playing days are almost over, so to keep him at the club in some sort of capacity would require a non-playing role. Assistant manager / part-time player would be perfect, much like Tanno did a few seasons ago.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Not as essential as a manager. He wouldn't be picking teams and trying formations, he'd be there to spur on the team, give encouragement and let the players know fully what is expected of them by the fans. Poyet, Tanno, Garcia, Jones.. whatever management credentials they had I couldn't see their passion for the club like you can with Calderon.

On top of that, Calderon's playing days are almost over, so to keep him at the club in some sort of capacity would require a non-playing role. Assistant manager / part-time player would be perfect, much like Tanno did a few seasons ago.

I think of Calde in more of the Oatway role. But yes, must must must be kept on in some capacity for the foreseeable.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think we need Calde's presence on the pitch, not off it. He's a leader and there's precious few of them at the minute.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I think of Calde in more of the Oatway role. But yes, must must must be kept on in some capacity for the foreseeable.

Oatway had full coaching qualifications. As Pavilionare said, I'd want Calde on the pitch with the players.

I think we should leave it to the new guy, give him a completely free hand

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think we need Calde's presence on the pitch, not off it. He's a leader and there's precious few of them at the minute.

I think you're right re him being a leader, but to be honest, he's not good enough at this level as yesterday proved. Would love him to be Assistant.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I don't mean 'Get him in as coach'. I just mean use him as the 'Mr Motivator' type figure.

Precisely, I don't for a second believe that Oatway was coaching Vicente on the technical aspects of the game, he was there to keep the mood light and happy and provide some banter to keep the dressing room together.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
On what basis?

Has he got coaching badges?

Does he even want to be a coach?

Do we need him as a translator when most of the foreigners will be off in the summer?

This is a NSC myth. People moan about 'jobs for the boys', but when a popular player has been around for a while they go the other way and just talk crap basically.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Precisely, I don't for a second believe that Oatway was coaching Vicente on the technical aspects of the game, he was there to keep the mood light and happy and provide some banter to keep the dressing room together.

I'm sorry but that's nonsense. I had the privilege of watching training when out in Portugal and Spain for three years in a row.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The new man coming in might want to stamp his authority on the club, and will do it by releasing Calde.

***putting tin hat on***

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Wouldn't it be wonderful if he'd tried though?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
On what basis?

Has he got coaching badges?

Does he even want to be a coach?

Do we need him as a translator when most of the foreigners will be off in the summer?

This is a NSC myth. People moan about 'jobs for the boys', but when a popular player has been around for a while they go the other way and just talk crap basically.

He has a degree in sports psychology and has proven him self to understand the way a club like ours works with his involvement in the Community and other initiatives. Provided he has the tactical ability to manage I wouldn't doubt his talent as a manager. He's one of the most senior players we have and he's smart to boot. My mate always points out how Oscars substitutions sometimes consisted of this.

Garcia and Jones talk about options while Calde and two others warm up.

Calde then gets the nod.

Calde then talks to the player in question.

Jones then talks to the player with final instructions.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
He has a degree in sports psychology and has proven him self to understand the way a club like ours works with his involvement in the Community and other initiatives. Provided he has the tactical ability to manage I wouldn't doubt his talent as a manager. He's one of the most senior players we have and he's smart to boot. My mate always points out how Oscars substitutions sometimes consisted of this.

Garcia and Jones talk about options while Calde and two others warm up.

Calde then gets the nod.

Calde then talks to the player in question.

Jones then talks to the player with final instructions.

So we're now making appointments on the basis of nodding on the sidelines? Great.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here