Would Tony Bloom...

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Go all-in on a pair of 7s?

No poll. But I'm curious.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Then no... he's better than that. Nothing lower than a pair of cowboys for our man Tony to throw down.
Eh? If he was short stacked with big blinds, of course he would.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It was a simplistic metaphor, from someone who doesn't understand poker, or Zen.

In our efforts to be responsible, are we being too cautious as a club?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Depends upon the circumstances. My worry is that as increasing numbers of clubs get parachute payments the chances of getting into that top two are getting harder each year. There must come a point where you have to gamble (Not sure we have reached it yet, but within 3 seasons or so, I think the new parachute payments will make it very difficult for anyone else to get promotion and stay within FFP)

PS. I would go all in with a pair of 7's heads up, it's a pretty good hand then, even versus AK in that scenario.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
If he is the big blind & all players have folded up to the small blind, who is short stacked & limps in then an ALL IN bet on a pair of 7s is the only bet TB would do

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If he is the big blind & all players have folded up to the small blind, who is short stacked & limps in then an ALL IN bet on a pair of 7s is the only bet TB would do

In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king. Fact.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If you are a club owner and you gamble in anyway you are risking the clubs future. You are a bad owner if you risk a clubs future, no matter how small the odds. I think you are confusing being sensible with being cautious, they are not the same.

Not all gambles risk the clubs future. Gus was a gamble, but not a risk to the club (...)

Do you think we are being sensible or cautious?

Oh look, I do know a little zen!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think being cautious is sensible.

Me too. How cautious is too cautious? Or not cautious enough?

Pair of 7s? What do you do?

That's how I see our odds in the championship. Pair of 7s. Decent chance. But it's not a sure thing, and it's possible only if you are prepared to take some degree of risk.

Like a pair of 7s, the Championship is a game of balls.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Go all-in on a pair of 7s?

No poll. But I'm curious.

Depends on the circumstance really

At the moment we have Bloom who has brought in for £100m+ and it's still the early stages of the competition, we have increased our stack a little but there are bigger stacks at that table and it would be hard to match them at present. So going all in on a pair of sevens this early in the proceedings and against a lot of competition is a bad move.

You might consider it if down to a few battling it out but at present the risk outweighs the reward and caution is the better approach. You can't win a tournament in the first few hands but you can certainly lose it!!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Not trying to be a ****, but this is a horrible analogy. There are so many different factors that would affect your decision in the stakes of Poker that Tony plays at.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Lots of things would affect the answer to this.
Current stack
How many players left in
Who has already bet what
Prize

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Depends on the circumstance really

At the moment we have Bloom who has brought in for £100m+ and it's still the early stages of the competition, we have increased our stack a little but there are bigger stacks at that table and it would be hard to match them at present. So going all in on a pair of sevens this early in the proceedings and against a lot of competition is a bad move.

You might consider it if down to a few battling it out but at present the risk outweighs the reward and caution is the better approach. You can't win a tournament in the first few hands but you can certainly lose it!!

Good points, well made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here