Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Bloom Biten Off More Than He Can Chew?

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Yes, incredible investment into the stadium and training complex, but seemingly out of his depth as far as player investment is concerned.

Is FFP a smokescreen for him to justify a lack of player investment?

IMO we should be eternally grateful for what he's done for the club, but is it time he lowered his and our expectations?

We constantly hear "Top six is the target" yet sell Barnes, Bridcutt and El Abd at the end of a January transfer window.

Time for our targets to reflect the level (or lack off) on field investment

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Yes, incredible investment into the stadium and training complex, but seemingly out of his depth as far as player investment is concerned.

IMO we should be eternally grateful for what he's done for the club, but is it time he lowered his and our expectations?

We constantly hear "Top six is the target" yet sell Barnes, Bridcutt and El Abd at the end of a January transfer window.

That's the balance he's looking for - fairly good players on short contracts with a great youth system. Look at Southampton, they may lose two players this summer (Shaw and Lallana) but they'll be £47m better off for it.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

If he was out of his depth , surely he would have turned to outside investment , as there are enough people who would want to take a stake in the club

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I am pretty sure that he has invested a fair deal of money in CMS, Buckley, Vicente (wages) Bruno (wages) Tommy K (wages) and many more

Just because these players don't have a fee paid for them it doesn't mean they have come cheap and that Tony isn't investing. Yes those three went and we didn't replace them but we tried.

Lets see whether we replace them this summer but even if we don't he has invested more in players than any Chairman we have had

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Erm. If the 'target' was 'top six' and we finished 4th and then 6th, did we not HIT those targets?

What a very strange post.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
That's the balance he's looking for - fairly good players on short contracts with a great youth system. Look at Southampton, they may lose two players this summer (Shaw and Lallana) but they'll be £47m better off for it.

Exactly this. Good players balanced by good youth players. Some will hopefully be sold on at a large profit in years to come (March and Ince currently come to mind)

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
So this is what happens when we lose a game? If we'd defeated Derby, this thread wouldn't exist.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The wages for the club (not just players) were 14 million and 21 million in the last two years. That looks like a lot of investment to me.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As his investment(s) in the club have been a small percentage of his personal wealth I doubt very much he is out of his depth. A very shortist comment may I add.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I think Bloom is probably sensible enough to realise that throwing crazy money at a promotion push is no guarantee of success. We'll get to the Premier League one day, but I doubt we'll break the bank to do it, any more than Palace or Burnley did. We can start spending big once we're there.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So this is what happens when we lose a game? If we'd defeated Derby, this thread wouldn't exist.

We haven't lost 'a' game though. We've been twatted in the play offs, again.

I do think we need to ask questions of the board. Is the plan working, and why can we not keep hold of young, inexperienced managers? Seemingly these managers are doing the job, and hitting the objectives, but they feel they can't take the club forwards.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

Unbelievable!

At times like this, NSC resembles an infants' school playground with numerous individuals blubbing, wailing and stamping their feet because they haven't been given what they want.

Their reactions show that they are clearly so immature that they have no realistic grasp of common sense, logic, reality or the knowledge of the relevant facts required to make a credible judgement.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

I thought we'd hit the glass ceiling of stupidity with some of yesterday's posts, but nope. This effort is astounding.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Top six is NOT the target, the target last year was, and I assume still is, to go 'Straight Up'

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Unbelievable!

At times like this, NSC resembles an infants' school playground with numerous individuals blubbing, wailing and stamping their feet because they haven't been given what they want.

Their reactions show that they are clearly so immature that they have no realistic grasp of common sense, logic, reality or the knowledge of the relevant facts required to make a credible judgement.

Could not agree more. Some of the post-Derby wailing has been embarrassing.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Good point. Bloom needs to be a little more expansive. Top six in the world is unrealistic right now, given the level of investment. Our floundering Chairman, should really have made it clearer that the target was top six in the Championship.

I think Bloom is probably sensible enough to realise that throwing crazy money at a promotion push is no guarantee of success. We'll get to the Premier League one day, but I doubt we'll break the bank to do it, any more than Palace or Burnley did. We can start spending big once we're there.

As long as the growing influence of parachute payments doesn't create a two-tier Championship of haves and have nots. Then staying "patient" might put us out of the game.

The business arguments I think are more complicated than merely stay frugal and you'll get your rewards.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here