Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When Oscar`s Maccabi Tel Aviv won the Israeli Championship..

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
...What was his playing style for his team? Is what we have seen by the style of play from the Albion this season Oscar's way? Or has he been forced to adapt to a new style due to injuries and transfers? Given a new start next season and some new players ( hopefully he is still at the club ), will it be the same patient build up from the back or a quicker tempo counter attack from the back? Not fishing, genuinely unsure about Maccabi.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I don't know anything in detail, but there was a video of all their goals from last year on YouTube; it showed that they were quick, and also that they weren't afraid to have a shot on goal from anywhere. Something lost a little in translation between there and here.

Dec 29, 2011
A poster on here a few days ago said he rarely played 1 up front for Maccabi TA, and sometimes played 3 at the back with 2 wing-backs. Not sure if that's true but it's believable.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Do we have players capable of playing quick passing and attacking football? I don't think we do, we lost Crofts and Orlandi has been a shadow of his former self. We don't have the midfield capable of supplying the attack.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Do we have players capable of playing quick passing and attacking football? I don't think we do, we lost Crofts and Orlandi has been a shadow of his former self. We don't have the midfield capable of supplying the attack.

That's kind of why I asked the question. If it is a more attack minded style then Oscar will need to dabble more in the transfer market than if his style is that of what we have seen this season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A poster on here a few days ago said he rarely played 1 up front for Maccabi TA, and sometimes played 3 at the back with 2 wing-backs. Not sure if that's true but it's believable.

That poster is just plain wrong. Oscar's pretty dogmatic about the way he plays. Think about it: he's been pretty inflexible with his formation this year; do you really think that this is some sudden Damescene conversion; or do you think that he played at Maccabi Tel Aviv with a 4-3-3 system?
As backson indicates, the youtube compilation of MTA's goals last season indicated that they played with pace, width and counter-attacked well. What also stood out was that they scored early and often, which beyond the first few games (which we went on to lose), he didn't manage to achieve here.
He was exactly helped out by our forward players this season. Of these, only three have pace:
CMS -- out for about 95% of the season
Buckley -- the 'hamster-twinger', who has been a shadow of his former self this season, only producing against Bolton (curiously at home and away) and no-one else; please Gus, get your cheque book out
KLL -- flatters to deceive, can only use his pace in one way.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
That has been the real issue in my view.
With Crofts back and on sing and with Stephens to challenge him for a starting place (I think they are too much the same style to both start, at home anyway) and Toko (if the rumours are true) backed up by Ince we will be better equopped but we don't have the creativity on this season's form. Maybe Joe Cole (another rumour) to help bring March through and LuaLua as the main wide player (can't see Buckley staying if Poyet offers decent money). CMS and Ulloa as a central pair should be a match made in heaven but we need to move forward much more quickly and accurately.

I am sure Oscar has it in him if he stays. Would love to see Calde on the coaching team to bring some energy

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
That's kind of why I asked the question. If it is a more attack minded style then Oscar will need to dabble more in the transfer market than if his style is that of what we have seen this season.

It has been in my mind the entire season, however, one thing that really has bothered me was the basic possession based football Poyet installed appeared lost with the players, despite the vast majority of them playing under Poyet. I don't think Garcia can be held responsible for the fact our players appear to be awful at ball retention and passing, which surely has caused the defensive approach Garcia has had to take. If we were on the attack, our midfield was incapable of creating an opportunity to attack and we lost 90<% of possession in the midfield, that created an issue for our aging defence.

The handling of Kemy is one thing too, possible personality clash? I don't know, but the man's built like a tank and does have that ability to create something, but he has been rotting away and I kind of feel for him. I hope next season, who ever is in charge utilises Kemy, strengthens our defence with younger, hungrier players who want the ball at their feet and a play maker who can create something out of nothing.

If we can sort those areas out, I don't think we're going to struggle next season, hell we could even be challenging for automatic. I'm confident our strikers will remain, we just need them to have the service they require and that stems from the midfield's inability to string 2-3 passes together.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here