Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Give The Man A Break

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
I don't understand all the criticism Oscar's getting. He took his first job in English football last July, nearly 2 months after all our challengers had to plan for this season. For the first couple of months he was without half the first team regulars and even up to recently without CMS and Orlandi, also we've lost 2 important players, Bridcutt and Crofts. Despite this we still ended up with just 3 points less than last season. I think he should be given a chance to sign the players he needs in the summer then be judged in May 2015.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I don't understand all the criticism Oscar's getting. He took his first job in English football last July, nearly 2 months after all our challengers had to plan for this season. For the first couple of months he was without half the first team regulars and even up to recently without CMS and Orlandi, also we've lost 2 important players, Bridcutt and Crofts. Despite this we still ended up with just 3 points less than last season. I think he should be given a chance to sign the players he needs in the summer then be judged in May 2015.

If he's still here. It seems he doesn't want to be.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Well said young man,unfortunately in the days of the modern internet it gives people the chance to rant if they don't get instant success...trying to say they could do better...if they could they'd be a football manager now.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Agreed, i think he has done a decent job considering the injury list and what he came into.

However I think he will now go

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I think he should be given a chance to sign the players he needs in the summer then be judged in May 2015.

I think that's his issue. He doesn't feel he will be given the chance to sign the players he needs.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

You're by no means the only one to think it, it's just that those who dislike him/his approach tend to be more vocal about it.

I'm unlikely to start a 'I'm quite happy with how things are' thread as I don't think it'd really need sharing. There's no such restraint on a nice reactive 'Garcia out!' one though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have reservations after yesterday about the way we are playing but I'm happy for him to be given another season as I believe he has been managing with one and sometimes both hands tied behind his back this season.

Whatever the outcome at least he didn't stick the knife in after another very disappointing result in a play off semi final by having a hissy fit during the after match interview, I'm at least grateful for that :smile:

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I think that's his issue. He doesn't feel he will be given the chance to sign the players he needs.

This in spades! It seems he has ideas in the way he wants to add to the team, and at the end of the interview yesterday, he was inferring that it's not in his hands, so he can't continue in the role unless he gets that chance to shape the squad.

I know if I was the manager of a football team, I would want the players that fit my style and playing ideas in my squad.

I'm thinking maybe G.Poyet was right that we do have a "ceiling", and no manager is going to be allowed to exceed it at any time in the near future.

An interesting summer close season lies ahead again! :albion2:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
This in spades! It seems he has ideas in the way he wants to add to the team, and at the end of the interview yesterday, he was inferring that it's not in his hands, so he can't continue in the role unless he gets that chance to shape the squad.

I know if I was the manager of a football team, I would want the players that fit my style and playing ideas in my squad.

I'm thinking maybe G.Poyet was right that we do have a "ceiling", and no manager is going to be allowed to exceed it at any time in the near future.

An interesting summer close season lies ahead again! :albion2:

You need to change your footer to something slightly more depressing.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Looking at the players he had at his disposal yesterday he needs a break, 5 under 21s in the squad. Good on him for selecting them but he has no other options. But, if it is his policy to play just one up front in a system that clearly is not producing goals then he has to accept criticism. If however he plays one up front because thats all he has then he does need a break. WE did well to get so far this year and in reality did not have a squad that could take us to the prem, maybe Derby did us a favour in not just beating us, but showing how limiting our football style has been whether by design or accident.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
You need to change your footer to something slightly more depressing.

Lol, I vaguely remember a game at the Withdean, which my sister brought me hospitality for, Brighton 1 - Derby 5, I think it was, and the sponsors gave Mark McGammon the man of the match! We've come along way since those days, and I'd much rather get into the play-offs every year just for the excitement factor!

Although losing to Derby has eased a clash of dates, so that's a relief! Lol

Here's to the future and the ups and downs of being a Brighton & Hove Albion supporter :albion2:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd give them all a break. If we were a team of slackers, then the cursings would be louder and even have the tiniest slither of validity to them, but that's not the case. Sometimes you come up against better sides and Derby were by far and away that. I don't think Oscar is getting the best out of everyone, but that will happen at times and i much prefer a full pre-season of him at the helm to prepare us fully for his chosen style of play. It wasn't a season of failure. I just hope everyone gets together and makes the path for future tidings an agreed one, the spats and fightings within lessened and not taking centre stage at all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here