• sign 2.jpg
    sign 2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,028

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
You know what they say...

Pride comes before a fall...

INTO HELL

(Seriously though, avoid pride, it's genuinely bad for you :p)

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
The meaning of pride has changed in our modern society, its a reference to conceit and inflated, unrealistic, feelings of self worth, which work to the detriment of others. Pride can be seen as good e.g. pride in your work but latterly the aggressive pride of beating your chest and telling everyone how great you are has been projected as a good thing. It just depends on your personal viewpoint as to which is preferable. Sermon over :wrong:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Pride is one of the seven deadly sins, isn't it?

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
Pride is one of the seven deadly sins, isn't it?

yes in the Old Testament
Christians and Jews holy book has pride as a deadly sin
an abomination to god
but the old greek gods were always inventing eternal punishments to humans
with attitude hubris

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The meaning of pride has changed in our modern society, its a reference to conceit and inflated, unrealistic, feelings of self worth, which work to the detriment of others. Pride can be seen as good e.g. pride in your work but latterly the aggressive pride of beating your chest and telling everyone how great you are has been projected as a good thing. It just depends on your personal viewpoint as to which is preferable. Sermon over :wrong:

Now I am somewhere near to understanding, so thanks for the sermon. Left me really confused this morning. Most religious things do to be honest but that just had me completely flummoxed as I see pride as a good thing generally

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
You know what they say...

Pride comes before a fall...

INTO HELL

(Seriously though, avoid pride, it's genuinely bad for you :p)

We are Brighton fans. We above all should know this. We were all preening ourselves after sneaking past Reading...look where that got us.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The way I see it, this is the exact same message as the one in the poster, except that it is delivered in a more sophisticated and less terrorizing way:

"There is no formula for generating the authentic warmth of love. It cannot be copied. You cannot talk yourself into it or rouse it by straining at the emotions or by dedicating yourself solemnly to the service of mankind. Everyone has love, but it can only come out when he is convinced of the impossibility and the frustration of trying to love himself. This conviction will not come through condemnations, through hating oneself, through calling self love bad names in the universe. It comes only in the awareness that one has no self to love."

- Alan Watts

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
See also Hubris
(/ˈhjuːbrɪs/, also hybris, from ancient Greek ὕβρις), means extreme pride or self-confidence.

Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence, accomplishments or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it is in a position of power.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Is that a UKIP election poster?

No. You can spot UKIP election posters because they are written in the blood of small children and cute animals.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No. You can spot UKIP election posters because they are written in the blood of small children and cute animals.

and oppressed minorities

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here