Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will you celebrate if we get into the play-offs next season?

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
after 2 years of embarrassment and losing managers, If oscar leaves, if we were to get there again next season would you be happy.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
For me, I am still happy we made it. It wasn't the best of season's for us but to secure the playoffs in the manner which we did was still an unforgettable moment. As for next season, it all depends how we are playing going into it and the character of the squad. For the past two seasons the amount of big games we have bottled has been ridiculous, lets face it we did our best to miss out on the playoffs this season with some of our home performances. If we played like Derby going in (scoring goals for fun and having secured their playoff place about a month ago) i'd be very confident.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
We now need to change our attitude of being happy to being in the play offs to one of thinking we can kick on and get automatic. Clearly it depends on the summer activities but now we shouldn't just be "happy to be in play offs" as mentally it's almost as if the job is done just by getting in them.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If we played like Derby going in (scoring goals for fun and having secured their playoff place about a month ago) i'd be very confident.

Like we did last year, you mean?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
after 2 years of embarrassment and losing managers, If oscar leaves, if we were to get there again next season would you be happy.

Feeling rather sensitive and insecure?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Like we did last year, you mean?

I seem to recall we had a very poor record against the top teams, and we were scoring goals when we were 'forced' to play attacking football. Once we made the playoffs Poyet reverted to type and played 2 defensive midfielders. Where's Derby, from what I understand, have played free flowing attacking football all season and showed no sign of stopping in the playoffs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I seem to recall we had a very poor record against the top teams, and we were scoring goals when we were 'forced' to play attacking football. Once we made the playoffs Poyet reverted to type and played 2 defensive midfielders. Where's Derby, from what I understand, have played free flowing attacking football all season and showed no sign of stopping in the playoffs.

We were playing stunning football towards the end of that season, won one of our final games 6-1 and a number of other games very convincingly. We were the form team of the division bar Charlton.

Is it just me who thinks we can still do a Burnley/Derby if we get our shit together next season?

Get in a decent manager with knowledge of the league. Make 4-5 decent signings. Why shouldn't we be challenging for automatic? Too much pessimism!! Oscar is no loss

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We were playing stunning football towards the end of that season, won one of our final games 6-1 and a number of other games very convincingly. We were the form team of the division bar Charlton.

Yeah, but as I say we reverted to type in the playoffs making all our previous results redundant.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

2 managers have left in 2 consecutive seasons due to the clubs lack of ambition, who is going to take the job this time

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah, but as I say we reverted to type in the playoffs making all our previous results redundant.

You said you'd be excited if we did exactly what we did 2 years ago coming into the playoffs. Is all I'm saying.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
2 managers have left in 2 consecutive seasons due to the clubs lack of ambition, who is going to take the job this time

Cannot agree, and such an obtuse viewpoint that you must be a WUM.

1. Poyet could have completed the job but chose not to because he had a personal agenda and failed as manager in the play offs. I will not forgive him for that as we were 'the form team'. No excuses.

2. Oscar has not enjoyed the same budget as Gus plus we sold key players and haven't found the right calibre of new signings. Plus he has been badly constrained by long term injuries. To reach 6th place and a play off place is remarkable. OK yesterdays performance was disappointing but for me it serves to underline just how we have probably played well above ourselves. He has now chosen to move on then so be it. There will be plenty of candidates ready to jump at the chance of managing The Albion.

3. To suggest the Club lacks ambition is frankly barking mad. Tony Bloom would laugh (if not weep) to hear that, having invested £150m and given us an infrastructure that most clubs and prospective managers would dream of. But he is constrained by FFP - it is not unique to us. Tony is not taking a s**t or bust approach. We don't enjoy parachute payments either. So it should be blindingly obvious for any prospective managerial candidates that they will have to contend with life under FFP. Promotion won't be easy and would certainly be that bit sweeter if we can spend our restricted FFP budget wisely, improve the squad, keep the existing players fit and find a playing style that is effective and entertains the fans. Realistically that's the sort of formula we can hope for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here