Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the wrong time

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
For most of our team promotion should have come 2 years ago when they would still have had a chance at the premiership. How many would have survived this summer or played next year if we had gone up? I have felt all year that this must have played on the minds of Bruno, Lopez, Orlandi, Greer, Andrews, Upson, etc . Even the younger players like Ince and March may prefer still to be in the championship at the moment. So I wonder how much collective ambition there really was for promotion? It was not a young team itching for the challenge. Of course they would presumably have earned a handsome bonus but maybe that was not enough. The "moment" had passed

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
For most of our team promotion should have come 2 years ago when they would still have had a chance at the premiership. How many would have survived this summer or played next year if we had gone up? I have felt all year that this must have played on the minds of Bruno, Lopez, Orlandi, Greer, Andrews, Upson, etc . Even the younger players like Ince and March may prefer still to be in the championship at the moment. So I wonder how much collective ambition there really was for promotion? It was not a young team itching for the challenge. Of course they would presumably have earned a handsome bonus but maybe that was not enough. The "moment" had passed

While I personally feel that EVERY player involved in getting the team promoted deserves their place in the promoted team (until the prove otherwise) i do wonder whether this is the view shared by our management.

Certainly yesterday and occassionally in the games building up to it this season, a number is players have given less than 100%.
With 10minutes to play, we had ONE player on the pitch giving any descernable display of effort, KLL.

If the players had been told/warned they wouldn't make a PL squad or even, with the younger ones, weren't reassured thy had a place, then I'd not be surprised if we weren't ever destined to make it up. Certainly any reading this board regularly would probably believe they were universally hated by the fans and had no skill at all!

The other thought that has crossed my mind is pure hearesy! What if TB doesn't want us to go up? Championship football, for now at least, seems to suit his budget (for which I will always be eternally grateful) but the PL realistically requires something with an extra nought on the end and Tony may be reluctant/unable to pump that sort I cash in for no guaranteed return. I know he loves this club as much if not more so than ANYONE on this board, but does it love it enough to lose ten times the amount of money he loses now?

The championship is a hugely competitive league, in which we are doing well... Was promotion in anyone's interests?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
There does appear to be a lack of desire and motivation from the players and the club as a whole. The players maybe lack confidence and belief that they could go up, the club seem like they don't actually want to be promoted. It seems to me (just IMO) that the club have some sort of plan to push for promotion in a couple of years time when they feel they club will be 'ready' with the training ground up and running and more cash in the bank.

The truth is a club is never 'ready' for the step up from Championship to Prem And the club may have missed their chance. TV money in the Prem and parachute payments increase dramatically this year and the divide between the clubs who are receiving these payments and those who are not is only going to get bigger as the years go by.

There has been a failure to buy the right players at the right time.

The club had huge momentum moving to the Amex. I hope I'm wrong but they may have missed out on a great chance to build quickly in the first few seasons. With 20 players out of contract, the manager potentially on the way out it could be a bit if a shell of a club come August.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Leicester have said they'll stick with the team that got them up next season in the prem.

If I was the coach/manager I would certainly give the players who got us the chance to play in the Premier League a chance to be the squad for next season. Surely it's every players dream who plays in this country to ply their trade in the Premiership??

It seems for two seasons in a row we haven't wanted it in the 2nd leg of a play-off semi final :annoyed:
Managers or players throwing a wobbler because they wouldn't be signed-up for the season after maybe? :ohmy:

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
we had a good, young-ish squad in 2011-12, much like derby's, unfortunately, the players got older and we bought ex top flight players in which didn't work

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
we had a good, young-ish squad in 2011-12, much like derby's, unfortunately, the players got older and we bought ex top flight players in which didn't work

we are talking 2 years here...bridcutt(kingpin) gone , barnes (workhorse) gone, lita , obika , rodney all meh .....kemy ...who knows wtf is going on with him and stephens who appears to have promise but is now injured , along with , bruno, matt , greer and will whoi would congratulate for taking the field last night and having a go.

last night underlines the fact that we are simply not good enough and we only play when the oppo "lets" us .....orlandi was guilty of producing one of the most indifferent displays i have seen since the last away game at derby coincidentally...!! swanning around like a ponce is a term used by one of my fellow viewers( tottenham fan so he would know).

we need a group of players who have a bit of pride and team spirit...this is exactly what Derby County have , they simply steam rollered us , i think we need to trim down on the airy fairy spaniards and adopt a more work-man like approach....flame away ,the truth hurts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here