Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did our team selection and tactics not reflect the fact we had to WIN the match?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Unforgivable.

How would the game have turned out if we'd started with CMS and Lualua and tried to actually ATTACK?

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Why did our team selection and tactics not reflect the fact we had to WIN the...

The management team don't know how to set up as an attacking side. Not that we needed to turn around a goal deficit or anything. They are clueless.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Possibly because we don't have the players capable of playing Garcia's way since none of them seem to be able to retain a ball and release it accurately...

But they did know how to do this under Poyet.

That's what's really struck me this season, players who seemed comfortable in possession last season seem to have lost the ability to pass and keep the ball.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I just don't get it - we needed to turn the tie round. We play with one forward and a winger who is obviously unfit (despite the fact there are two decent fit wingers on the bench). If ever there was a game when we needed a more attacking philosophy, this was it.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Here's a counter way of looking at it that I expect will be slated but what the hell...

I assume the game plan was frustrate them and keep to game scoreless until the middle of the second half and unleash KLL and CMS. With a one goal deficit at the start of the match this setup was what some of us on NSC were calling for instead of going gung-ho from the start and risk getting stuffed (which happened anyway, I know). The moment that changed the game was Greer's substitution. I had hoped OG would have taken Greer off, moved Ince to CB and put JFC or Augustien in the middle of the park but instead he put the only available defender in at the back and moved Ward to the middle. THAT was what cost us IMO. If OG had been braver in that initial substituion the game could have been totally different. But it's all ifs and buts. The fact of the matter is that Derby were just much better than us and played with confidence and desire.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Then we need a manager who can use the players we have

The ones which most are out of contract in the summer? Wow, surely you're more intelligent than that.

But they did know how to do this under Poyet.

That's what's really struck me this season, players who seemed comfortable in possession last season seem to have lost the ability to pass and keep the ball.

So because they've forgot, that's OG's fault?

:ffsparr:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Here's a counter way of looking at it that I expect will be slated but what the hell...

I assume the game plan was frustrate them and keep to game scoreless until the middle of the second half and unleash KLL and CMS. With a one goal deficit at the start of the match this setup was what some of us on NSC were calling for instead of going gung-ho from the start and risk getting stuffed (which happened anyway, I know). The moment that changed the game was Greer's substitution. I had hoped OG would have taken Greer off, moved Ince to CB and put JFC or Augustien in the middle of the park but instead he put the only available defender in at the back and moved Ward to the middle. THAT was what cost us IMO. If OG had been braver in that initial substituion the game could have been totally different. But it's all ifs and buts. The fact of the matter is that Derby were just much better than us and played with confidence and desire.

I can't understand why the subs weren't made at half-time. Why wait when we're two goals down?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

In hindsight I would agree with you, but we would have still lost Ward on the left who has been an attacking provider down that side all season. Not sure how Ince would have done on the left but I’m pretty sure he couldn’t have matched what Ward has done.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Possibly because we don't have the players capable of playing Garcia's way since none of them seem to be able to retain a ball and release it accurately...

Nail on head. With the right players we will look significantly better.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
I can't understand why the subs weren't made at half-time. Why wait when we're two goals down?

They were about to come on when Derby scored. It was unfortunate for Garcia that just as the CMS an Lua Lua were about to come on Derby killed the game.

In response to your thread question, I assume Garcia was trying to make sure Derby didn't score at least until half time. At 2-1 we still has a decent chance of nicking it, but at 3-1 with the way Derby counter attack we would have had a real up hill struggle to win the tie.

Last edited:

Pickles

May 5, 2014

Herein lies the problem.

Oscar wants to play the Barca way, which is lovely to watch but can only be done with players of a certain level, which is above what we currently have, Orlandi excepted on his day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here