Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradford Fire Anniversary

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Is there a 1 min Silence today nationwide?

56 empty seats - 54 Bradford supporters 2 Lincoln Died

The forgotten disaster?

29 years ago today

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Awful,remember seeing it on the tv at the time,terrible.......thank you for the reminder,i will now say a prayer.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
I was on The Chicken Run watching Albion fans fight the Pigs on the pitch after a bore draw when the news started filtering through. The fact that people were dying at what should have been an end of term party played a sad counter point to the stupidity we were watching being played out on the Goldstone pitch.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
No, nor is there still an outcry over the recklessness of locking exit gates to obstruct the safe exit of people from the ground which, in my opinion, was almost as bad as ill judged attempts by the police to reduce crowd pressure in one place only to create a bigger disaster elsewhere.
It was a terrible day for everyone, really horrific and shocking scenes played out on the TV, and one I shall never forget.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The image of that man with his hair on fire, who I think later died, is haunting. The inferno that consumed that stand is one of the most frightening things I have ever seen, simply because I know what is going at the back of it. The Bradford fire is permanently etched in my memory. Being 29 years ago, some may not remember. Here is the live footage.

To give the usual warning, some scenes are upsetting. The commentator says 'Thankfully I can tell you everybody is out of there'. Sadly, they weren't.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Truly horrific and must never be forgotten. I think most of the poor souls who died tried to leave the ground behind the stand only to find the gates locked and this brought about many changes in health & safety at events.

Notice how people are cowering from the heat whilst on the pitch seemingly away from it. Nightmare.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Whats really hits home is that in 10 minutes that stand went from alight to virtually all gone

That film is not quite 9 minutes and the first minute and a half is football

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I have had the opportunity to talk to a man who was in the stand and luckily escaped all though he still had the scars from the burns he received. I also have conversed with the officer in charge of the first fire appliance to arrive who as mentioned above found the gates locked which delayed their actions. Both stories were horrific and I am glad that I was not involved as either a spectator or a firefighter.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pretty poor tweet from a Palace fan that I saw only yesterday. It's not something you joke about IMO.

aje4yreh.jpg

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Was also at the Goldstone that day. Rather sobering to think that this could have happened at just about any ground in the country. Truly awful. Puts tonight into a bit of perspective really.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
awful scenes upsetting then and upsetting now

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Pretty poor tweet from a Palace fan that I saw only yesterday. It's not something you joke about IMO.

aje4yreh.jpg

I think the tweet has since been removed on the advice of the lads followers. It's a shame to see messages like this, whoever they are designed to offend. The account appears to be re-tweeting news items about the fire now in a show of contrition.

The thing that saddens me the most is that the kid who posted it has little understanding of possible implications, and no sense of his accountability. I hope he has learnt his lesson. I would imagine that almost all supporters of Crystal Palace would be quite annoyed at seeing such material.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here