Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You're the manager - The Great Penalty Shoot-Out Conundrum

would you keep one substitution back to bring Brez on for Tommy K

• Yes - what the hell, Brez is a penno intimadator

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No - All subs should be done long before this is an issue.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Maybe - not bothered either way.

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think we've kicked this around a bit without making it official.

If the game is edging towards that obvious tipping point that indicates penalties, would you keep one substitution back to bring Brez on for Tommy K after 119 minutes?

I think Buckley is the key.
He's one guaranteed substitution, as is Solly and CMS.

If Buckley doesn't feature, Solly and CMS are still coming on, joining KLL.
This still leaves one 'spare' sub, who I'd keep back for the nothing to lose Brez gamble.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I doubt Buckley will play today, he barely made it through to half time when injured on Thursday.

I would try to keep one sub back for Brezovan if it looked like a stalemate. Does Oscar & co know how good he is at saving penalties? Jonah might remember as he saw a Yeovil one saved on Brez's debut.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I wouldnt change the keeper during a match unless forced too, psychologically bringing on Brez for Tommy wouldnt be good for anyone

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Would I like to see it happen? Yes, if we made it to penalties. Would we ever here the end of it if Brez flapped at a cross in injury time giving Derby an open goal? No. That's why it won't happen.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Perhaps we could start with brez and avoid the need for such stress in the first place? ...........what?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If we got to the 118th minute with a sub left, we'd be very, very stupid not to.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I wouldnt change the keeper during a match unless forced too, psychologically bringing on Brez for Tommy wouldnt be good for anyone

This would for sure wave goodbye if there was any chance at all of keeping the number 1 for next year.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Wouldnt really make much difference, and taking Kooshack off right before penalties would clearly mean the manager has no faith in you - therefore he will probably leave in the Summer. Besides, its down to us actually scoring anyway, they could blaze theirs over.

You could argue that we should bring on Spanish Dave as he's the normal penalty taker. But football is littered with instances of a normally reliable penalty taker missing really important ones. Nobody - except possibly Lambert - scores every time.

By the same token Kuszczak never seems to save penalties so he must be due one or two stops.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

He's talking about, at the 119 minute mark, in readiness for a shoot out.

Psychologically, it absolutely would be a good thing.

For Brezovan, it's telling him "you are brilliant at saving these, Pete. Get out there and make yourself a hero"

To our players, it will give them confidence to know they actually have a chance of an opposition penalty or two being kept out.

To the opposition takers, it plants a seed of "hang on, wtf is going on here? They're bringing this giant on just for the penalties! He must be amazing at them. Shit! I'd better try and hit it really hard, or take a bit of risk and aim just inside the post"

I doubt Kusczcak would appreciate it, but all it is saying to him is "Sorry Tom, but you never save penalties. Big Pete's got this. Sit back and enjoy, and get yourself focused for Wembley next week"

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'd take penalties right now,can you imagine from the supposed position of advantage they are in now,to having to get through on penalties,the pressure on them would be immense..

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
He's talking about, at the 119 minute mark, in readiness for a shoot out.

Psychologically, it absolutely would be a good thing.

For Brezovan, it's telling him "you are brilliant at saving these, Pete. Get out there and make yourself a hero"

To our players, it will give them confidence to know they actually have a chance of an opposition penalty or two being kept out.

To the opposition takers, it plants a seed of "hang on, wtf is going on here? They're bringing this giant on just for the penalties! He must be amazing at them. Shit! I'd better try and hit it really hard, or take a bit of risk and aim just inside the post"

I completely get what he's talking about, I just don't think it would be a good think to take Tom out of goal...smells of desperation and not a good sign to the PIG, who is much more valuable to us than Brez and Ankergren put together! I can see the positives of it, but think the negatives outweigh them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Derby mugged Tommy K for the first leg semi penalty.
Derby will be studying 'tape' of TK's penalties and will be preparing for them.
TK would have had 120 minutes of match concentration.

Brez is BIG, and fills the goal more.
Derby will have no idea what's going on.
Brez would have spent the last 2 hours sat on the bench chillin with his homies. (I have no idea what that means)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I completely get what he's talking about, I just don't think it would be a good think to take Tom out of goal...smells of desperation and not a good sign to the PIG, who is much more valuable to us than Brez and Ankergren put together! I can see the positives of it, but think the negatives outweigh them.

Tom is a professional. If it's for the good of the TEAM he'd just have to suck it up. If he's walking out at Wembley next Saturday, do you think he'd still be upset, that Brez had helped get us there?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Derby mugged Tommy K for the first leg semi.

Brez would have spent the last 2 hours sat on the bench chillin with his homies. (I have no idea what that means)

Rather than just chilling, Pete will have spent that time doing his revision, on their takers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I haven't voted 'yes' in the poll though. I wouldn't go so far as to deliberately keep a sub back. The ebb of the game will dictate whether they need to be used earlier. If they do, so be it.

If we do have one let though, I'd definitely do it.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Derby mugged Tommy K for the first leg semi penalty.

Your suggestion is more crazy than my all guns blazing 2 strikers effort-however..............

I suggest we say to the officials that Brezovan instead of chilling out in the hood,requires some time in the treatment room first,perhaps as long as 2 hours,whilst we secretly have him saving penalties in the lower depths of the ipro.......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here