Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help! XPtether.inf shows in My Computer but not in 'browse to'

My Mobile Broadband dongle has packed up and I need a way of tethering via USB cable otherwise it means a change of plan for Sunday PM. Its SIM works in my Android phone, but the problem is that my PC is still running XP (via Chrome) and XP requires a file (which is actually named tetherxp.inf) to configure the tethering drivers that XP already holds. I've downloaded it but it won't appear when Windows asks me to browse to it. What am I doing wrong, please?
xpteth.PNG

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Right Clink your .inf file and choose the install option which should be there?

(Google is a WONDERFUL thing by the way)

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
The 'Browse to' is asking you to point to a FOLDER not a file. It will then search the folder for relevant driver files. So in this case it looks like the file is in the root directory so just select Vaio (C:).

The 'Browse to' is asking you to point to a FOLDER not a file. It will then search the folder for relevant driver files. So in this case it looks like the file is in the root directory so just select Vaio (C:).
I tried that. I also tried moving the file into one of those folders, but it still wouldn't appear in the 'browse to' window.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I tried that. I also tried moving the file into one of those folders, but it still wouldn't appear in the 'browse to' window.

You won't see the file, you just point to the folder so it will only show you folders!

So as I said before select the c drive exactly like you have in the screenshot and press ok.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
How do I tell if it supports wifi?

Do you still have a manual and is this a Sony Vaio running Windows 7 ?

Looking at your screenshot above, if WiFi is activated you should see another small icon appear at the bottom right of the screen. It will either be a set of bars rising left to right, or a fan/seashell shape. Try clicking on the icon showing two monitors with a red cross on the bottom right of your screen.

Alternatively If you know how to get to your network settings under the control panel, take a look there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here