Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do Derby play tomorrow?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I wonder how they will approach the game,seems slightly surreal situation for them to be in really,defending a lead from the 1st leg and not having to attack?
One would suppose they will do as they always have,but will they switch off?

Is the pressure on them or us,we know they like to attack and also are good on the counter but it's for me all about mindset now,logic says a Derby win over two legs,but that can go out of the window if attitudes are wrong.....

Brighton could surprise and play out of their skins,i feel it could go either way,but i would like to think the desire will be with us,and just sometimes that makes the difference.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

southstandSam

May 5, 2014
The problem is, if they score first it's pretty much game over….

I am not sure it would be game over, you are capable of scoring two and we are more than capable of conceding two !

I will predict one thing though i would not have thought we will play as bad as we did on Thursday, not like us at all to sit back.

We will be free flowing and you will have to contend with that as well as having the problem of needing to score at least one goal, tactically Garcia will have to be on the ball and it all contributes to what will be an intriguing encounter.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Derby just have to do what they did on Thursday really. Then we'll be backing off, passing sideways and generally posing no real threat on goal. On the other hand, some same old Albion MAGIC may just occur to fkuc them up :clap:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I am not sure it would be game over, you are capable of scoring two and we are more than capable of conceding two !

I will predict one thing though i would not have thought we will play as bad as we did on Thursday, not like us at all to sit back.

We will be free flowing and you will have to contend with that as well as having the problem of needing to score at least one goal, tactically Garcia will have to be on the ball and it all contributes to what will be an intriguing encounter.

Good evening Southstand-if your side prevail i wish for you to go all the way.....QPR have tried to spend their way up,Wigan are a good side but your side try to play decent football and are perhaps the most lively team in the play offs thus far,besides you did finish 3rd...

Also one of my main regrets was never getting to you old ground...

southstandSam

May 5, 2014
Good evening Southstand-if your side prevail i wish for you to go all the way.....QPR have tried to spend their way up,Wigan are a good side but your side try to play decent football and are perhaps the most lively team in the play offs thus far,besides you did finish 3rd...

Also one of my main regrets was never getting to you old ground...

You have a smashing ground and ours is not topo shabby but the old grounds for me were far better for atmosphere, The Baseball Ground was a fab little ground and the atmosphere was electric as you was so close to the pitch.

We have played some great football this season and it has been a real joy to watch, i suspect you have not seen too much of us but in all honesty i do beleive we deserve to have a place in the play offs.

It sounds really arrogant to say i thought we were poor Thursday especially as we won, but i will say i bloody hope we play a lot better than that.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I saw enough of Derby's hesitant defending to give me hope. They will be more positive tomorrow, but we know we can defend well and have the pace on the break to cause them trouble.

It's still game on.

PG

southstandSam

May 5, 2014
I saw enough of Derby's hesitant defending to give me hope. They will be more positive tomorrow, but we know we can defend well and have the pace on the break to cause them trouble.

It's still game on.

PG

I agree Pete, we have had a whirlwind of a season and it has been refreshing to have the all out attack mentality of McClaren instead of the boring must not lose approach of Clough.

We are weak defensively but have got away with it time and time again by simply outscoring the opposition, i am still not sure if that is because we are an half decent side or the opposing side are not good enough to beat us ??? lol

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You have a smashing ground and ours is not topo shabby but the old grounds for me were far better for atmosphere, The Baseball Ground was a fab little ground and the atmosphere was electric as you was so close to the pitch.

We have played some great football this season and it has been a real joy to watch, i suspect you have not seen too much of us but in all honesty i do believe we deserve to have a place in the play offs.

It sounds really arrogant to say i thought we were poor Thursday especially as we won, but i will say i bloody hope we play a lot better than that.

The baseball had an amazing atmosphere that away end was one where i thought,be great for us to draw them in fac tie up there and take many thousands-

The Amex is great,the transport not so although when the trains are good it's ok and will take a few years to get the atmosphere sorted and the true fans from the new staying,but it's home..

Perhaps you might have another off day and we will win but in all honesty we have had a good season,our overall progression remains on an upwards curve,i think others and this includes myself to some degree,it's the thinking that we could be doing things quicker,but overall we are doing ok.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
they will come out to try and score an early goal to kill the tie

I'm sure they'll do just that and we'll need to be very alert for the first 10 to 15 mins. I think their attitude will change after our first serious attack. Then they'll realise they have a lead to defend and I think they'll be much more like the first leg. If we can hold them until half time we can have a real crack in the second half - though a bit like Forest with some caution too. It wouldn't be a surprise for it to go to extra time.

The last time Derby were in the playoffs they beat Southampton 2-1 away and lost 3-2 at home (won on pens though - and went on to be promoted).

ramraider

May 7, 2014
The tie is balanced like our last playoff campaign when we went up under Billy Davies. We went a goal down early at Southampton but won the first leg 2-1. We scored in the first minute of the second leg but lost 3-2 on the night but went through on penalties. I hope it doesn't go that way tomorrow as besides Thursday our penalty record this season is worse than yours! I think we'll be more attacking than Thursday but still think it could go either way.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Just seen the highlights. The looked better than the actual match from the Albion point of view.

http://www.player.seagulls.co.uk/vi...lights:-Brighton-and-Hove-Albion-Derby-County

Same impression though. Derby were wilting towards the end and could not hold out for another 90 minutes.

Some pertinent comments from the Derby forum. Never have Derby conceded so much possession in a game all season. I knew we had the edge (the best part of our game) but not that significant, just relieved because I thought they might outcompete us.

Ulloa looked he played badly at the match, but looking at the highlights, he did not do so badly as I thought. You have had to listen the commentators to think Derby broke quickly. I think we were slow at covering. They were not slow and wasted a lot of time by running with the ball and looking more dangerous than they were in reality.

Game on.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think it will be like Hull City away. Then a set piece won the game for Hull.

Derby will try to win the advantage in possession like they have done for almost every game under Mc Claren. They have successfully done this in most games although the better teams have evened it up.

So we will just have to be patient and see if we can get a goal when the players on both sides get tired. Just as likely to concede as score though.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here