Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky with no signal

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
My son moved into a property and went to get Sky fitted and the fitter said he couldn't fit the dish because the trees in his garden would be in the way of the signal .
Even wanted my son to tap up next door to have the dish fitted to his neighbours house
Yer right.
Anyone else come across this problem before or is the fitter trying it on ??

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sky fitters can't go up ladders so have to go them at low level. Get an independent ariel installer to fit it on the roof.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
We lost our signal because of our neighbours trees growing so had to have the dish moved.

Last edited:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
We've got a sky dish on a 6ft pole sticking out the top of our house but a tree on the railway embankment near our house renders Sky useless from most of the summer once it gets leaves on it. He's not having you on.

Arnois2

Apr 15, 2011
Sirindhorn, Bangkok.
This can be the case sometimes getting no line of sight of because of trees. But most of the time you can put the dish on the chimney or onto an S pole which I think are 1.5 metres in length. Was it an actual Sky Engineer or a Sky Contractor? I used to work for Sky and if I had trouble getting a line of sight it would get escalated to the team manager who would come and take a look or send or the SE Engineers to come and take a look. The Sky boys carry 14 foot ladders and roof ladders.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My son moved into a property and went to get Sky fitted and the fitter said he couldn't fit the dish because the trees in his garden would be in the way of the signal .
Even wanted my son to tap up next door to have the dish fitted to his neighbours house
Yer right.
Anyone else come across this problem before or is the fitter trying it on ??

Sounds like a subbie rather than an installer directly employed by Sky. Sometimes they will make excuses for not doing the job because there is an alternative but it will take longer and they can't get away with a cowboy effort. The dish has to be attached or within the boundaries of your property. Sky have "care bear" engineers (installers) who mainly rectify the cock ups of subbie standard installs and get lumbered with the difficult and awkward callouts.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Not true.

Not sure what the issue is, bit I've had official sky installers twice, who both refused to put the dish on my chimney (1 house and 1 bungalow) would only put them in the wall of the house. In the first instance regarding the house I told Them not to bother and got the local firm on Pulborough to do it. On my current bungalow, they told me on the phone that they (Sky) would not fit it on my chimney and that I'd have to have the dish on the wall on the side of the house, I got my electrician to fit it to the existing ariel mount.

Same for my in-laws, they ended up with the dish fitted to a post in the ground in the garden as the wall of the house wasn't suitable due to trees, and they wouldn't go on the roof to the obvious position, the chimney.

So whether they can't, won't or simply want an easy install I don't know, but one thing for certain, they refused to go up a ladder onto the roof for me twice.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Not sure what the issue is, bit I've had official sky installers twice, who both refused to put the dish on my chimney (1 house and 1 bungalow) would only put them in the wall of the house. In the first instance regarding the house I told Them not to bother and got the local firm on Pulborough to do it. On my current bungalow, they told me on the phone that they (Sky) would not fit it on my chimney and that I'd have to have the dish on the wall on the side of the house, I got my electrician to fit it to the existing ariel mount.

Same for my in-laws, they ended up with the dish fitted to a post in the ground in the garden as the wall of the house wasn't suitable due to trees, and they wouldn't go on the roof to the obvious position, the chimney.

So whether they can't, won't or simply want an easy install I don't know, but one thing for certain, they refused to go up a ladder onto the roof for me twice.

Putting the dish on a chimney isn't a standard install and it should have been processed as a special heights install if you had mentioned it when booking. Apart from being a 2 man team they have additional safety equipment for working on roofs to comply with H&S regs.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Putting the dish on a chimney isn't a standard install and it should have been processed as a special heights install if you had mentioned it when booking. Apart from being a 2 man team they have additional safety equipment for working on roofs to comply with H&S regs.

Sounds right. To clarify, I just had a live chat with Sky's installation team and this was the reply

"Just to inform our installers wont be able to put the dish on the chimney"

They will only agree to fit it to the side wall of the house, which does not require a ladder, well maybe a step ladder. They might have a special heights division, but they don't offer it, and looking on their website it says that will be at the customers cost, which is fair enough I guess.

I ended up asking a local ariel installer who was quite happy to go on the roof and fit it properly in the most suitable location, the chimney, which is not obscured by the trees around the house. He was certificated for working at heights and charged the same as Sky do to do a relocation install ( about £65 I think).

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sounds right. To clarify, I just had a live chat with Sky's installation team and this was the reply

"Just to inform our installers wont be able to put the dish on the chimney"

They will only agree to fit it to the side wall of the house, which does not require a ladder, well maybe a step ladder. They might have a special heights division, but they don't offer it, and looking on their website it says that will be at the customers cost, which is fair enough I guess.

I ended up using a local ariel installer who was quite happy to go on the roof and fit it properly in the most suitable location, the chimney, which is not obscured by the trees around the house. He was certificated for working at heights and charged the same as Sky do to do a relocation install ( about £65 I think).

Rod Hull and Emu have a lot to answer for :smile:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here