Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IF we play 1 up front sunday

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Then we do not want promotion-

The goal scored at forest on the last day of the season came as a direct result of 2 genuine out and out striker/forwards telepathically linking up..

I don't want to see caution i want to see us fly at them from the off,otherwise we will lose probably by a high score,once heads drop.

We have nothing to lose so lets just restore some pride and beat them,for if they beat us 4 times in 1 season that's got to hurt the players,i hope the players are hurting at the moment and want some payback..

So whoever tells Oscar what to do( :lol: ) please listen and tell him to play CMS from start.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Ok I will tell him, put CMS on the wing as he crosses a good ball.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Would play Jesse on the wing (probably instead of Buckley), as Calderon needs protection and CMS just behind Ulloa in a 'free' role.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel

The goal scored at forest on the last day of the season came as a direct result of 2 genuine out and out striker/forwards telepathically linking up..

I don't want to see caution i want to see us fly at them from the off,otherwise we will lose probably by a high score,once heads drop.

We have nothing to lose so lets just restore some pride and beat them,for if they beat us 4 times in 1 season that's got to hurt the players,i hope the players are hurting at the moment and want some payback..

So whoever tells Oscar what to do( :lol: ) please listen and tell him to play CMS from start.

Forgive my memory but how did we do at Leicester with 1 up front? We cant just go kamikaze, we've got a great record away...we mustn't let in that second goal. Trust OG

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Forgive my memory but how did we do at Leicester with 1 up front? We cant just go kamikaze, we've got a great record away...we mustn't let in that second goal. Trust OG

I know but any team could have beaten Leicester that night.

We risk getting hit on the counter,but the pressure is all on them,if we give them a goal in the opening 20 minutes it's all over,how do we stop that happening,play our normal game (that has taken us to 6th) and hope we get a result,or set the tempo,change style and go direct much more direct.

Perhaps losing in the first leg was a blessing in disguise.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick

I agree, we may need to resort to a more gung-ho approach later on, but we need to remember that Derby's real strength is the speed of their counter-attack. Going all out from the outset could be suicide and play into their hands.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
it could be a cagey 0-0 for 70mins and then KLL and CMS come on to attack......this has worked for us alot, and derby would surely defend what they have (as they did in 2nd half).

no need to completely change tactics and formation at this stage......save lingard, orlandi, and jfc need replacing in the starting 11.

if we went gung-ho and they hit us on the break its all over.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Ŷ
I know but any team could have beaten Leicester that night.

We risk getting hit on the counter,but the pressure is all on them,if we give them a goal in the opening 20 minutes it's all over,how do we stop that happening,play our normal game (that has taken us to 6th) and hope we get a result,or set the tempo,change style and go direct much more direct.

Perhaps losing in the first leg was a blessing in disguise.

They gave us a goal inside 20 mins and still won 2-1 so I don't see why we can't

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Two up front does not work in modern football, the midfield would be completely over run. Derby controlled the midfield enough on Friday without taking another of our players out.

Personally I think we should be patient and look to defend. Look at games in recent weeks where the defending team has won... Chelsea, Real Madrid, Crystal Palace, Derby.

Based on Derby's strengths and how they played on Friday we need to let them come at us a little bit. They were only dangerous on the break and we struggle massively to break down 10 players in a team's half.

I think we should go for -

Kuszczak
Calderon/Bruno Greer Upson Ward
Ince Andrews
March Stephens Lingard
Ulloa

We then have the stability at the back with some pace to break. We have one of the best defensive records in the league, lets play to that strength. The only way I see us winning is but not conceding. If it's 0-0 after 60-70min then look to introduce Lua Lua, CMS, David/Orlandi (to play a killer pass or set piece)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Ŷ

They gave us a goal inside 20 mins and still won 2-1 so I don't see why we can't

It's either going to be a classic Brighton away win or a heavy defeat.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Two up front does not work in modern football, the midfield would be completely over run. Derby controlled the midfield enough on Friday without taking another of our players out.

Personally I think we should be patient and look to defend. Look at games in recent weeks where the defending team has won... Chelsea, Real Madrid, Crystal Palace, Derby.

Based on Derby's strengths and how they played on Friday we need to let them come at us a little bit. They were only dangerous on the break and we struggle massively to break down 10 players in a team's half.

Kuszczak
Ince Andrews
March Stephens Lingard
Ulloa

We then have the stability at the back with some pace to break. We have one of the best defensive records in the league, lets play to that strength. The only way I see us winning is but not conceding. If it's 0-0 after 60-70min then look to introduce Lua Lua, CMS, David/Orlandi (to play a killer pass or set piece)

Then we need to spend in the summer and spend big on pace at the back and central midfield and also get rid of a few of the forwards at this club....

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I don't understand how anyone can think throwing players forward against a team with Derby's pace is a good idea. They would destroy us.

Also, we don't know how fit CMS is. Keep it tight for an hour and hope to nick one. If not, make attacking substitutions and go for it last half hour.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I don't understand why people expect us to change our system. What we do is pretty much set in stone. The only way we'll be playing two up front is if we need a goal 15 minutes from time. 1 up front works well for us.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I don't understand how anyone can think throwing players forward against a team with Derby's pace is a good idea. They would destroy us.

Also, we don't know how fit CMS is. Keep it tight for an hour and hope to nick one. If not, make attacking substitutions and go for it last half hour.

Why go for it with 30 minutes to go when we are tired,we should have cms right and ulloa right up the arses breathing down the last defenders necks,we want to make them edgy and nervous and not settle, perhaps play 5-3-2 if everybody is worried about their pace.

Tactics are great but 11 players are on that pitch and at least 7 of them need to have a really good game and that starts in the mindset....caution in a one off cup tie (in essence what it is) is asking for defeat.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming

Kuszczak
Ince Andrews
March Stephens Lingard
Ulloa

Friday? Thursday surely.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I'm glad you're not the manager. Putting players into an unfamiliar system against a team in red hot form, guaranteed loss.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Why go for it with 30 minutes to go when we are tired,we should have cms right and ulloa right up the arses breathing down the last defenders necks,we want to make them edgy and nervous and not settle, perhaps play 5-3-2 if everybody is worried about their pace.

Tactics are great but 11 players are on that pitch and at least 7 of them need to have a really good game and that starts in the mindset....caution in a one off cup tie (in essence what it is) is asking for defeat.

I can't believe I have to explain this as it's really simple. Derby's strength is counter attacking. If we throw players forward from the first minute we will leave ourselves exposed in defence and probably lose heavily. So we play our usual away tactics and try to score from a break away or set piece. Last 20/30 minutes, if we're still behind, then go for it.

Also, as I said in my last post, we don't know if CMS can last 60 minutes (let alone possibly 120) so he will probably start on the bench.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

Imagine if all the world class managers in the world knew this amazing secret formula- the more strikers you play, the more goals you score.

We finished in 6th by playing a system that Oscar feels gets the best out of the players we have. We've done it all season and we've for to where we wanted to be, beating some of the top teams in the division. So, tell me why, on the most important game of the season, we should now decide to change it and do something completely different that we don't have a whole season's experience at and we don't practice week in, week out, and the players don't know their jobs exactly because they've been drilled in them over and over and over again.

Explain to me how throwing away a whole season's planning is a better option. Let me guess, you can't, because you don't understand why we play one up front in the first place, and you don't understand how a football team with one striker is not necessarily any less attacking as a football team with two strikers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here