Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby Pre Match Boozers

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Where are people planning on drinking pre match Sunday? I think it may end up being tricky.

Can see a lot of people wanting to watch the Prem final day over a few jars before going to the ground and from memory a lot of pubs are home only. The one a lot of us drank at in January near the station was decent but no TV's if I remember correct.

anyone gone into town pre match there before and any recommendations?:drink:

Whirlwind_Ram

May 6, 2014
Where are people planning on drinking pre match Sunday? I think it may end up being tricky.

Can see a lot of people wanting to watch the Prem final day over a few jars before going to the ground and from memory a lot of pubs are home only. The one a lot of us drank at in January near the station was decent but no TV's if I remember correct.

You're probably thinking of The Brunswick near the station? Haven't been in for a while but no tv's as I recall. It's a good real ale pub though.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
You're probably thinking of The Brunswick near the station? Haven't been in for a while but no tv's as I recall. It's a good real ale pub though.

Any recommendations on somewhere a few away fans could sit and watch the prem beforehand?

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009

hey matey, i live up here. Brunswick is best real ale pub but not really a sports boozer. royal derby telegraph just round corner on london road near westfield centre is a sky sports pub (no idea though about locals/derby fans?) http://www.inapub.co.uk/venues/royal-telegraph/derby/de12qs/10253k there's a big walkabout pub in Market street (other/nice side of centre) about 15 mins walk from station, address 9-11 Market Square DE1 3QE, will mean a 20 min walk back to ipro or cabs.....

Whirlwind_Ram

May 6, 2014
Any recommendations on somewhere a few away fans could sit and watch the prem beforehand?

I wouldn't go to Walkabout

Yes, it is a very good sports bar but on Thursday night it was packed full of Rams fans and I'd imagine that will be the same on Sunday

The Brunswick is an 'away friendly' pub but no Sky Sports as far as I'm aware

There is The Merlin on Pride Park. I have no idea what it's like on a match days but they do have Sky Sports
It's a Hungry Horse chain so it's very family orientated and they do food
You could always give them a ring although I phoned them on Thursday and asked "have you got the game on tonight" to which I was asked "what game?"

1 Orient Way, Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL T: 01332 386241
http://www.themerlinderby.co.uk/

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I wouldn't go to Walkabout

Yes, it is a very good sports bar but on Thursday night it was packed full of Rams fans and I'd imagine that will be the same on Sunday

The Brunswick is an 'away friendly' pub but no Sky Sports as far as I'm aware

There is The Merlin on Pride Park. I have no idea what it's like on a match days but they do have Sky Sports
It's a Hungry Horse chain so it's very family orientated and they do food
You could always give them a ring although I phoned them on Thursday and asked "have you got the game on tonight" to which I was asked "what game?"

1 Orient Way, Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL T: 01332 386241
http://www.themerlinderby.co.uk/

Cheers :thumbsup:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
The Navigation on London Road was full of Albion last time it has screens, a small but welcoming establishment I think.

It is just a short walk over the rail Bridge to the stadium but not actually near the station.

google map

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Tricky choice. Have done both the Navigation and the Brunswick in last 2 years. What favours the Navigation is that you can park for free in Alvaston Park and then walk back there along the river after the game. Suspect we will do that again this year.

PG

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013
The Navigation is the best pub for away fans if you're driving. There is some on-road parking available and the Conference Centre opposite the pub does parking for about a fiver IIRC.

The Merlin on Pride Park is generally packed with Rams fans. I've not noticed away supporters there TBH but never seen any trouble either. It's also used by allot of families, so I doubt there would be any problems for Brighton fans, but it's likely to be heaving, which is OK if the weather is good because there are large outdoor areas.

If coming from the station via the footbridge over the railway onto PP, there is a Harvester and a Chiquitos that are away-friendly and also do match-day parking IIRC.

Around the stadium there is a Frankie & Benny's which is away friendly. The DW bar next door is Rams only though.

From the station main exit, best options are the Crown & Cushion at the top of Midland Road, and the Brunswick and the Alexandra (turn right outside the station) - all away-friendly (if you're sensible) but no TVs. Don't try to get in the Waterfall or Victoria, but the Merry Widows often allows away fans in. I haven't been in the Royal Telegraph recently, but I doubt that sensible fans would have a problem there and I know they have Sky Sports because mates of mine drink there.

If heading into town, I think any of the main real pubs on the Derby Beer Trail http://www.derbycamra.org.uk/derby-pubs/ will welcome you and they all do Camra discount. I can't think of any that have Sky though.

Given the general friendly demeanour of Brighton fans on Thursday night, I doubt if sensible fans will have any problems pre-match. If you win, my advice would be to celebrate in the stadium, then head out of town for any further celebrations, which is what I'd do in the same circumstances.

MrRamtastic

May 6, 2014
I think The Merlin is good for away fans too my Forest Mrs and her family have been in there before so if they can make it i'm sure you guys can though it does get pretty crammed being close to the ground.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The Navigation is the best pub for away fans if you're driving. There is some on-road parking available and the Conference Centre opposite the pub does parking for about a fiver IIRC.

The Merlin on Pride Park is generally packed with Rams fans. I've not noticed away supporters there TBH but never seen any trouble either. It's also used by allot of families, so I doubt there would be any problems for Brighton fans, but it's likely to be heaving, which is OK if the weather is good because there are large outdoor areas.

If coming from the station via the footbridge over the railway onto PP, there is a Harvester and a Chiquitos that are away-friendly and also do match-day parking IIRC.

Around the stadium there is a Frankie & Benny's which is away friendly. The DW bar next door is Rams only though.

From the station main exit, best options are the Crown & Cushion at the top of Midland Road, and the Brunswick and the Alexandra (turn right outside the station) - all away-friendly (if you're sensible) but no TVs. Don't try to get in the Waterfall or Victoria, but the Merry Widows often allows away fans in. I haven't been in the Royal Telegraph recently, but I doubt that sensible fans would have a problem there and I know they have Sky Sports because mates of mine drink there.

If heading into town, I think any of the main real pubs on the Derby Beer Trail http://www.derbycamra.org.uk/derby-pubs/ will welcome you and they all do Camra discount. I can't think of any that have Sky though.

Given the general friendly demeanour of Brighton fans on Thursday night, I doubt if sensible fans will have any problems pre-match. If you win, my advice would be to celebrate in the stadium, then head out of town for any further celebrations, which is what I'd do in the same circumstances.

Thanks, good advise.

PG

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sorted, heading to the Navigation Inn

Whirlwind_Ram

May 6, 2014

Cheers Crewton Ram, that's actually good advice for me too especially regarding the real ale pubs :)

I usually go to Silk Mill, Dolphin, Flower Pot and Seven Stars, sometimes Five Lamps but I'll be checking out some of the other pubs on that map now :cheers:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Went in The Merlin last time up there but they were turning away fans away. Only got in as I was with my Mrs and had no colours so would avoid that.

devonsi

"By-The-Sea"
Dec 26, 2008
Plymouth

Only could you confirm still open ¿ as website suspended, no mentions in over a tear & no answer to calls when ringing :-\

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013
If you mean is the Navigation still open, well, it was last time I passed it ( a couple of weeks ago). It could have closed I suppose, but I haven't heard anything to suggest that. It was actually tarted up outside not long ago, but it has changed hands a few times. To be honest, it's not a great pub and hasn't been for some years, but it's one of the designated away pubs and is very handy for the Ipro and getting away quickly afterwards.

If it is closed (which I doubt TBH), your best bet is probably to park up there and drink at Frankie & Benny's at the stadium. The beer is basic, but it'll still do the job!

Don't be tempted to go in any of the pubs in Alvaston that you pass on the way up London Road eg : The Blue Peter or the Roundhouse - they're not friendly full stop!

devonsi

"By-The-Sea"
Dec 26, 2008
Plymouth
If you mean is the Navigation still open, well, it was last time I passed it ( a couple of weeks ago). It could have closed I suppose, but I haven't heard anything to suggest that. It was actually tarted up outside not long ago, but it has changed hands a few times. To be honest, it's not a great pub and hasn't been for some years, but it's one of the designated away pubs and is very handy for the Ipro and getting away quickly afterwards.

If it is closed (which I doubt TBH), your best bet is probably to park up there and drink at Frankie & Benny's at the stadium. The beer is basic, but it'll still do the job!

Don't be tempted to go in any of the pubs in Alvaston that you pass on the way up London Road eg : The Blue Peter or the Roundhouse - they're not friendly full stop!

Apols, yes the Navigation, thanks again for your most excellent feedback, will be heading there as previously recommended by Nigel Summers in 'Football Grounds UK' iPro stadium section & what he doesn't know about best boozers... :) uta

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Does the Frankie and Benny show football? Will the football be shown at the ground before? We are getting the coach so not sure of best option?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here