Bruno Greer Upson Ward
-----Andrews Ince-----
--CMS Orlandi Lualua--
---------Ulloa---------

need lots of pace on the counter, i'd expect us to sit deep until HT

I've gone for pace too. :)

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
It's an interesting one for Oscar. As a manager you don't want to be forced into a substitution. CMS hasn't played 90 minutes all season, he could start sharp, but its a different matter managing your energy over 90 minutes rather than coming on for the final 20. Oscar would have to plan for a half time substitution if CMS started, just in case, so ordinarily CMS wouldn't start.

However, if you wanted to provision for penalties and had a choice between CMS playing the first 45 and, say, a Spanish Dave or Orlandi, Lingard etc. finishing the second 45 to take penalties then you might start with CMS (I haven't seen him score since...I can't remember).

I'd hate to get to penalties and rue the fact we didn't have the players that can actually take them. On penalties I actually fancy us, we have some good dead ball players.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Play a 4-4-2 so the usual defence plus Ince & Andrews can soak up their counter attacking football, while leaving Lingard, March or Buckley, Ulloa, and CMS to cause them problems upfront.

With our 4-5-1 formation too often on thursday was our entire midfield being forced forward to support Ulloa whilst leaving us short at the back.

4-4-2 for me. Keep it solid in defence and im sure were can sneek a few goals.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
It's an interesting one for Oscar. As a manager you don't want to be forced into a substitution. CMS hasn't played 90 minutes all season, he could start sharp, but its a different matter managing your energy over 90 minutes rather than coming on for the final 20. Oscar would have to plan for a half time substitution if CMS started, just in case, so ordinarily CMS wouldn't start.

However, if you wanted to provision for penalties and had a choice between CMS playing the first 45 and, say, a Spanish Dave or Orlandi, Lingard etc. finishing the second 45 to take penalties then you might start with CMS (I haven't seen him score since...I can't remember).

I'd hate to get to penalties and rue the fact we didn't have the players that can actually take them. On penalties I actually fancy us, we have some good dead ball players.

You make a good point, but Ulloa has been pissing me of for weeks so I wouldn't start him. Maybe bring him on if we're chucking players forward in the last 15 minutes. I'd love to see what CMS has to offer all game.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003

Counter to that though, CMS also has a lot of joy on his runs in the final 20 because he is fast and that's when Derby defence legs will be tired and feeling it (only two days rest), but CMS needs Ulloa up front keeping pace or ahead too to bang them in.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
4 changes from the home leg, two enforced due to injuries to Upson and Buckley with Dunk and CMS starting in place of them. Orlandi and JFC relegated to the bench due to both being shockingly poor last game and the midfield being over-run, Ince comes in as the big box-to-box unit and March can hopefully pull the strings from the middle of the park.

Kuszczak

Calderon
Greer (C)
Dunk
Ward

Andrews
Ince
March

Mackail-Smith
Ulloa
Lingard

Substitutes: Brezovan, Chicksen, Orlandi, Forster-Caskey, Rodriguez, LuaLua, Lopez

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
--------Kuszczak------
Bruno Greer Upson Ward
-----Andrews Ince-----
--CMS Orlandi Lualua--
---------Ulloa---------

need lots of pace on the counter, i'd expect us to sit deep until HT

Would go with that although Calderon for Bruno as still injured

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
4 changes from the home leg, two enforced due to injuries to Upson and Buckley with Dunk and CMS starting in place of them. Orlandi and JFC relegated to the bench due to both being shockingly poor last game and the midfield being over-run, Ince comes in as the big box-to-box unit and March can hopefully pull the strings from the middle of the park.

Kuszczak

Calderon
Greer (C)
Dunk
Ward

Andrews
Ince
March

Mackail-Smith
Ulloa
Lingard

Substitutes: Brezovan, Chicksen, Orlandi, Forster-Caskey, Rodriguez, LuaLua, Lopez

If this team is picked we will win

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Kuszczak

Calderon
Greer (C)
Dunk
Ward

Andrews
Ince
March

Mackail-Smith
Ulloa
Lingard

I'd go along with that. It's a really really tricky one for OG. We can't go all out from the off and leave things open at the back. We need something in reserve in case it's still up for grabs late in the second half or into extra time so we can't start both CMS and Lua Lua. Forster-Caskey needs a rest and Ince is talismanic and offers something different for Derby to deal with. Lopez has to be on the bench for penalties or late free kicks. And March will run his heart out. I'd love to start Orlandi but I fear he's a bit too luxury and lightweight. So, long winded way of saying that's the team I'd pick too.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I'd go along with that. It's a really really tricky one for OG. We can't go all out from the off and leave things open at the back. We need something in reserve in case it's still up for grabs late in the second half or into extra time so we can't start both CMS and Lua Lua. Forster-Caskey needs a rest and Ince is talismanic and offers something different for Derby to deal with. Lopez has to be on the bench for penalties or late free kicks. And March will run his heart out. I'd love to start Orlandi but I fear he's a bit too luxury and lightweight. So, long winded way of saying that's the team I'd pick too.

Let Andrews hold, but get Ince a bit further up the pitch to maraud and disrupt. The derby fans think he's a beast so let him go and play like one.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Let Andrews hold, but get Ince a bit further up the pitch to maraud and disrupt. The derby fans think he's a beast so let him go and play like one.

Absolutely. Andrews has played really well in recent weeks and was my MoM yesterday so let him do the holding role and let Ince and his crazy limbs loose and hope he causes chaos.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Koosh

Calderon
Upson? (Dunk)
Greer
Ward

Andrews
Ince

March
Lingard
Lua Lua

Ulloa

CMS to come on earlier than later as a Sub
Pace - Pace and more Pace.
Let Andrews sit.
IMHO We need to start quick (like at the Amex) and put them on the back foot. Be Physically strong, with pace.
Please no Buckley or JFC

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here