Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Atletico Madrid

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
PLEASE win the title this week. It would be lovely to see them do it, beating two of the TWATTIEST clubs in world football in the process.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
Would love to see them do it, but that result against Levante was a massive kick in the balls. Barcelona away last game of the season, with them knowing they win it if they beat Atletico. I hope they win, would be great for Spanish football.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Would be great to see the likes of Pepe, Marcelo and Ronaldo NOT win the league. To me, they come across as snide :wanker: s
Real Madrid are by far the biggest spenders in Spain on a par with Chelski and ManC = buying success.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
Would be great to see the likes of Pepe, Marcelo and Ronaldo NOT win the league. To me, they come across as snide :wanker: s
Real Madrid are by far the biggest spenders in Spain on a par with Chelski and ManC = buying success.

It depends what you mean by spending. If you're talking about wages, for the last few seasons they've been outspent by Barcelona. The difference between them and the two English clubs you mention though is that they actually have the resources without relying on an owner.

Anyway, my prediction is that Atletico Madrid will win the league this Sunday without the need to take it into the final day.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
It depends what you mean by spending. If you're talking about wages, for the last few seasons they've been outspent by Barcelona. The difference between them and the two English clubs you mention though is that they actually have the resources without relying on an owner.

Anyway, my prediction is that Atletico Madrid will win the league this Sunday without the need to take it into the final day.

That's because Real are funded by the Spanish government. Even worse.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012

When that great lie gets repeated and repeated, people come to believe it's true. So, give me any evidence at all that Real Madrid is (or ever has been) funded by any government and I'll concede.

You won't be able to produce any evidence, though.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Yep that's right. The independent reports on global club finances that show they earn more revenue than any other club in the world are clearly made up to hide this hideous fact. It is also because of this that they have managed to avoid ffp penalties that have been imposed on PSG and Man City? :dunce: The reality is that about 15 years ago when Reals finances were precarious the Madrid council purchased their training ground for quite a lot of money. Still probably not right but think you'll find English clubs where councils own grounds of our clubs. Didn't Hull's ground get paid for by the local council?

Would love too see Atletico win though.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
Yep that's right. The independent reports on global club finances that show they earn more revenue than any other club in the world are clearly made up to hide this hideous fact. It is also because of this that they have managed to avoid ffp penalties that have been imposed on PSG and Man City? :dunce: The reality is that about 15 years ago when Reals finances were precarious the Madrid council purchased their training ground for quite a lot of money. Still probably not right but think you'll find English clubs where councils own grounds of our clubs. Didn't Hull's ground get paid for by the local council?

In fact, Dan, being members' clubs their finances are more open, far more open, than those of the top English sides - Barcelona couldn't even cover up the extent of their own shady transfer dealing because of it.

Just to address that point of the training ground sale in 2001, this has become another urban myth. I am no Real Madrid supporter but I dislike the way their history is always tarnished; Santiago Bernabeu himself was a real football visionary. After he became President he constructed a massive ground through public subscription in an area outside the city that was in the middle of precisely nothing. Over the years Madrid, like all major cities, moved inexorably outwards, so much so that by the end of the century the stadium was sitting in the centre of the financial district. That land had become a very valuable piece of real estate. Not that they wanted to move the stadium, but their training ground was also cited in the area.

In order to pay off the club's debt and take part in the vanity project of the galacticos, Florentino Perez decided to sell that land. It was NOT sold to the council, all of it was sold to private developers. The Council's involvement was to agree to re-zone the land so that it could be sold at all. For this the football club had to agree to give the Council some of the land, therefore the Madrid Council made a tidy sum themselves out of the deal.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I hope Barca win it. There seems an inevitability that Messi will lead them to glory, the ending is tailor-made for him. It's been a thrilling title race, no question.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I'd love them to win. What I like about Atletico Madrid is that whoever they are playing, the Vicente Calderon always seems to be rocking, especially the main home end. This is in contrast to the Bernabeu, where only the "Ultras Sur" section seems to sing (I will admit that I have never been to a match there, though), and the Nou Camp, where it's only the low bits behind the goals, which used to have terracing, that seem to be active (again, see the rider above). And their fans do seem to travel, too, unlike most clubs in Spain. Other stadiums with great atmospheres are the Ramon Sanchez Pichuan (Sevilla, sp?) and the Mestalla (Valencia).

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
When that great lie gets repeated and repeated, people come to believe it's true. So, give me any evidence at all that Real Madrid is (or ever has been) funded by any government and I'll concede.

You won't be able to produce any evidence, though.

I wouldn't know anything about that but it clearly isn't a fair system when the two biggest clubs in Spain (Real and Barca) receive far more TV money than the chasing pack.

Yes they are more marketable, but even out the prize money/games on tv and in a generation there could be a small shift in power.

Until that day though, the likes of Atletico gunning for the title is nothing short of fantastic.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
where only the "Ultras Sur" section seems to sing (I will admit that I have never been to a match there, though), and the Nou Camp, where it's only the low bits behind the goals, which used to have terracing, that seem to be active (again, see the rider above). (Valencia).

So you mean almost like every club in the world they have a main singing section and its quiter in other parts of the ground? I've been to both Madrid clubs and its always been very noisy.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
RM and Barca have 2 of the 3 biggest debts in football (1st & 3rd with United 2nd), you'd expect them to win with that level of borrowing, who lends them the money?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
PLEASE win the title this week. It would be lovely to see them do it, beating two of the TWATTIEST clubs in world football in the process.

Is there such a word? all i know is i love it

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I went to the Vicente Calderon about a month ago to a game without much entertainment value that Atletico sneaked a victory from. What stood out though was the constant singing from start to finish from the hardcore section. Amazing to be near. The rest of the fans did join in too at times as the buzz of championship-winning possibility infected all attendees. Great stuff. Typically, as a pasty Englishman, with a temperature not topping 17 degrees, my forehead and face were burned for sitting in the sun during the match. Burnface and bloated hangover are a wonderful advert for travelling Brits that i wore with a shameful pride.
I hope they win it too.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
I wouldn't know anything about that but it clearly isn't a fair system when the two biggest clubs in Spain (Real and Barca) receive far more TV money than the chasing pack.

Yes they are more marketable, but even out the prize money/games on tv and in a generation there could be a small shift in power.

Until that day though, the likes of Atletico gunning for the title is nothing short of fantastic.

The imbalance of TV money in Spain mostly makes it difficult for the other Spanish teams to hold onto their best players and they're then moved on not only to England but also Germany, Italy, Russia etc. That's why I hope Atletico win it this season as I don't think they will be able to repeat this level of performance even with this group of players, let alone some high-profile departures.

Strangely, and especially considering this week's barmy F.A. panel findings, the departure of good players out of all but Real Madrid and Barcelona is probably having a positive impact on the Spanish national team as it means that young players are finding their way into the first team even quicker than normal.

RM and Barca have 2 of the 3 biggest debts in football (1st & 3rd with United 2nd), you'd expect them to win with that level of borrowing, who lends them the money?

There was a good analysis of this done a couple of years ago by swissramble. When the debts were compared like-for-like both Barcelona and Real Madrid had an almost identical level of debt to Arsenal (around £100m each). Manchester United's debt was four times that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here