Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next season optimism or pessimism?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I'm pretty optimistic about next season, having just looked at the contracts thread, I think we might have an issue getting players due to FFP. However, our number of strikers is improving, CMS with a full pre-season under Oscar could work wonders, he has been fairly impressive with the limited minutes he has had so far but I personally believe he's going to be pivotal for us next season.

I don't believe we'll be promoted, but I don't see that entirely as a negative thing; 6th place this season with a largely depleted squad is impressive irrespective of individual's opinions of OG. We've made incredible progress over the past few years, so it only feels natural to think we could be challenging for the top 2 places next year if we get a squad with the right attributes for OG's system. Both bosses we've had at the Amex prefer patient, passing and movement tactics, but both haven't really had the midfield to conduct this.

JFC and Orlandi last night were essentialy shadows, this proved our midfield engine to have virtually no drive and alas, getting forward was a major issue. Every time we lumped it up field, our players were bullied off the ball and Derby broke on the counter. If we passed around the midfield, we either passed sideways, backwards and very rarely forward. Ball retention wasn't great and a lot of passing I felt wasn't up to scratch. I personally believe this is where OG's problems lie, he needs players who can receive quickly scan for a quick pass forward and move to receive the ball again. In the first 20 minutes, that happened and we had triangles for the player on the ball for options to pass, unfortunately a lot of them weren't made. We're also physically weak in midfield, McClaren was clever in shoving his hefty players in the midfield knowing this would break down our passing and ball winning capabilities. We also need a new advanced playmaker, Orlandi was wonderful last season. But his comeback has been deflating, we know he can set a goal up and chip a few in himself. Maybe extend his by a year and see how he gets on till January, when we can see if we can ship him off.

If OG and Burke can identify a few midfield players who fit this bill or atleast can be quickly developed into these fast passing and quicking moving midfielders, I'd be confident the goals will come. As for our defence, I'm not so sure what to make of Upson. He's a fan favourite, hard fighter but he's getting on. We need to develop Dunk now, get him into a ball playing defender. I would also like to see us try and sign Ward, I think he has along side Upson, been our most consistent player who can also chip in with a goal or two. We have Chicksen who has done well when he has been relied upon, but we'd still need to get another LB if we don't sign Ward.

The right-back situation is one that puzzles me, I like Bruno; but I often feel he forgets he's a RB and therefore exploited (Ipswich at home, he was way out of position). I don't know if I would renew his contract. Calderon is a fan favourite, bleeds blue and white, I'd renew his contract but only as a rotation player. I think we're quite weak here at RB. But I'm at odds about Bruno, it maybe time to seek a younger RB.

The bid from Leicester is tempting, but are we going to find a striker for the same price with the same qualities? Maybe Rhodes, but I doubt Blackburn will sell him and I'd imagine his wages being fairly high. I think as much as it is tempting, it needs to be declined. With CMS and Ulloa now together, I think we have a formidable strike force therefore making the attacking options sound.
What's everyone's thoughts on pre-season and the transfer window? Where would you improve?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It depends almost entirely on our Summer dealings. Who we keep, who goes, and who we bring in.

Also, pessimistic/optimistic depends entirely on what you're expectations are. Play-offs? Pessimistic. Mid table? Optimistic.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here