Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Station Pre Match Last Night

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Anyone else caught up in the absolute shambles? Hundreds of fans queuing on one platform only for the train to come in on the one on the other side, suddenly there is a surge from the back and all hell breaks loose. Those of us at the front (who had been their longest) ended up not being able to get on the train. Missed the first 20 minutes as a result. Asked a hapless female plod what the fudge they are playing at, and all she could say was 'erm - it was them at the back they pushed through! What are we supposed to do?' How about actually 'police' the crowd?

I've never been the biggest fan of Sussex Police but Jesus Christ this was incompetence on another level even for them!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Southern staff were shocking too. That short woman that worked for Southern was letting trains go between 6.45 and 7, with massive spaces towards the back, and her excuse was, we're doing the best we can, but they have to run on time. :ffsparr:

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I was at Brighton Station at 6.55. Took my seat at 8.07.

Southern Rail are *****!

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
All the trains were 3 or 4 coaches and not the usual 6-8 and they were half empty. It was the worst i have known it there in 3 years

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
utter shambles from the police, I was in that queue too - there is nothing that makes you more mad than queuing up and then the people at the back are allowed to get on a train before you

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I was there and frankly if some arsewipes lift up a barrier and hundreds of people push through there is nothing a dozen BTP and rail staff can do.
Earlier trains should have been filled up more though, and obviously if rail was nationalised it would be far easier to arrange extra trains and carriages.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Problems arise every night game, why does this surprise people? Leave slightly earlier than usual (I aim for the 18:38 train to Falmer for night games, never fails).

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This is what club/council/rail operators don't understand in relation to these kinds of incidents on the way to a big game - you only suffer it once. You just can't risk trusting it. Then you find an alternative, be it car or anything else.

Mill Road, the most convenient P&R for many fans was full and closed by 6pm last night.

Still, at least the Coldean NIMBYs had some nice empty streets.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For the umpteenth time this season, drove to Lewes, parked in town, got a train about 6.50 (fullish) and was in the ground just after 7. Afterwards, clapped the team off, queued for a while (not sure how long, maybe 15 mins) just behind the top of the ramp, then shuffled slowly all the way to the platform without stopping and was back in Lewes about 10.20 and home by 10.40. Transport has been great this season.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The organisation at the station was piss poor last night. The usual queueing system wasn't there and it was pretty much a free for all outside the gate, while the police and station staff just stood there getting paid for doing nothing.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
And the first shall be the last.

So sayeth The Lord.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I took my 3 kids last night (sorry school for whatever state they're in today) and given no baby sitter and both my wife and I wanting to attend, my toddler also came.

Anyway, with a.pushchair, got to Brighton station at 6.20 and queued. Without asking for help (I was happy to wait) A member of station staff took me out of the queue and moved me to the front so I got on the 6.51 in an area with wheelchair, pushchair space.

So I didn't get on an earlier train but in a calmer fashion. So thanks due to the staffing also to confirm that getting there by 6.30 meant getting stadium by just after 7

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Problems arise every night game, why does this surprise people? Leave slightly earlier than usual (I aim for the 18:38 train to Falmer for night games, never fails).

Sure it is great when you can do it. It just isn't always possible and that impending panic that you are going to miss kick off, when you are queueing up for a train an hour before kick off is not pleasant. We are stuck between a rock and a hard space here. Anyone who commutes in Central London knows that they could cram an extra 30-40% more people on many of the trains they let go. Many who don't get irate at people invading their personal space, for what is a short space of time, if they have to move up to let more people on the train, or god forbid, move away from the doors.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
For the umpteenth time this season, drove to Lewes, parked in town, got a train about 6.50 (fullish) and was in the ground just after 7. Afterwards, clapped the team off, queued for a while (not sure how long, maybe 15 mins) just behind the top of the ramp, then shuffled slowly all the way to the platform without stopping and was back in Lewes about 10.20 and home by 10.40. Transport has been great this season.

Ssssshhhhh, keep it quiet, don't encourage more fans to go that way

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The thing that grips my shit is fans not squeezing up inside the carriage to let more on, we all want to get there. The :tosser: 's that jumped on from the back of the queue and those that got on earlier trains and didn't squeeze up are what made me miss the first 15 mins. And maybe the pint I had in the Albert.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton

That's not the point though Luke. As I said, I got to Btn Stn at 6.55 and took my seat at 8.07. By the time I'd seen the 2 and 3 carriage trains come and go and then everyone else at the back push through the barriers; we were 1-0 up.

The point is that a lot of people stayed away last night because of transport issues that the club (not their fault) haven't been able to iron out with the various companies.

27118 I believe the crowd was. Pss poor for a play off game.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I left as early as possible precisely for this reason. On the NR app there was an 18.11 to Lewes but the queue were not allowed on to it as it had come from the west coast and was departing platform 3. My friend's wife was on it but he had to wait in the queue for the 18.22. The excuses given varied from 'it was for normal customers' to 'it was for London Rd and Moulscoombe' (where it didn't actually call). Basically a whole train left empty an hour and a half before kick off. Coming back it was all three and four car. Big wait even at 10.45 and some poor bloke was wedged in with his son who must have been about seven or eight looking absolutely terrified.

The Southern Rail twitter account didn't know about the first train and basically said 'we're doing our best' after the game. I'd agree this is the worst it has been since we moved there. If we do go up and Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U et al are on a weekday night god help Southern. They simply won't cope.

Yoda

English & European

Wish I had a job that would allow me to do that all the time. At 18:38 I was halfway between Worthing & Brighton after not getting back from work until 18:00.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
That's not the point though Luke. As I said, I got to Btn Stn at 6.55 and took my seat at 8.07. By the time I'd seen the 2 and 3 carriage trains come and go and then everyone else at the back push through the barriers; we were 1-0 up.

The point is that a lot of people stayed away last night because of transport issues that the club (not their fault) haven't been able to iron out with the various companies.

27118 I believe the crowd was. Pss poor for a play off game.

So you were at the station 50 mins before kick off for a.journey that takes 15 mins, that you may wait for 15 mins and have a.potential 7 minutes from train to seat. 37 mins in all without queues. Sounds tight to me even on a good day

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here