Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 Things I didn't like about the First Leg

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
1) I didn't like the attitude of the Derby players. Played like a bunch off Dan H ardings - too good to be on the same pitch as us. Chris Martin celebrated his penalty goal with a finger to his lips at the Brighton fans. Hate that! Plus they were another team who seemed to have the officials in their collective pocket, especially the centre back marking Leo who got every decision.

2) Which brings me to the officials as above. A ref who certainly played the first 20 minutes as if we were a lower league outfit trying to raise our game against a classier team and therefore Derby should get a benefit of the doubt even where there was none. We should surely have had a couple of pens, but he couldn'even give us a foul early on, or at least until Derby were back in it.

3) Their fans had a collective smugness and air of entitlement after they got their pen. Silent up till that point. But singing Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio was over confident smugness personified. They are one goal up with 90 minutes to play for goodness sake!

This tie has a few twists and turns in it and at least there will be a different ref at their place. Let the expectation pile the pressure on them instead. Despite last night, we have the defence to keep a clean sheet and the pace to rattle any defence. Luckily this isn't over by a long chalk.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I am hoping that they all get a bit too focused on who they will play at Wembley between now and Sunday. They are a good side, their position in the league tells us that, but there are plenty of examples where teams think that the away leg was a good result and then cocked it up at home! (Us last year for example, Chelsea this year!) I didn't expect us to go through if I am honest (I didn't before last night), but going there just a goal down means they have a decision to make..they will say "we need to win the game" but in their minds, they have a lead to defend...we don't need to score until the 90th minute as long as we don't concede, and everything is to play for!! I am strangely relaxed, and will enjoy it..

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
1) I didn't like the attitude of the Derby players. Played like a bunch off Dan H ardings - too good to be on the same pitch as us. Chris Martin celebrated his penalty goal with a finger to his lips at the Brighton fans. Hate that! Plus they were another team who seemed to have the officials in their collective pocket, especially the centre back marking Leo who got every decision.

2) Which brings me to the officials as above. A ref who certainly played the first 20 minutes as if we were a lower league outfit trying to raise our game against a classier team and therefore Derby should get a benefit of the doubt even where there was none. We should surely have had a couple of pens, but he couldn'even give us a foul early on, or at least until Derby were back in it.

3) Their fans had a collective smugness and air of entitlement after they got their pen. Silent up till that point. But singing Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio was over confident smugness personified. They are one goal up with 90 minutes to play for goodness sake!

This tie has a few twists and turns in it and at least there will be a different ref at their place. Let the expectation pile the pressure on them instead. Despite last night, we have the defence to keep a clean sheet and the pace to rattle any defence. Luckily this isn't over by a long chalk.

sour grapes methinks ? If Derby supporters duplicate your 1,2 and 3 on Monday morning, you won't bat an eyelid.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Bit of Devil's advocate:

1) I can understand, if not like, his reaction to scoring. He was getting a collective booing from the most vocal part of the home support - he maybe subconsciously thought to celebrate that way. Even Ashley Barnes celebrated like that - to his own supporters!

2) Certainly didn't get all of the decisions right, but I didn't think he/they were as bad as you make out. The East stand lino limply raising his flag for a throw-in, just about after said throw-in was taken was a bit poor, though.

3) I thought the "Cheerrio" chant was to the people that started drifting out from around 83 mins. The fans reactions afterwards didn't strike me as smugness - they know their team can play better than that - they got away with last night (for whatever reasons) so it might have been relief more than anything.

:shrug:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
On number 3: I really thought that the celebrations from the away end at the end were OTT for what is effectively half-time. I hope that the over confidence and expectation of the fans spreads to their team on Sunday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree the 'Cheerio' was directed at those that heard the fire alarm (which was evidently quieter than usual as not so many heard it)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I didn't like our set pieces one bit, if we had a 9ft player on the far post he might just about get his head to a couple of the over hit balls into the box, although some would be too high even for him.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
On number 3: I really thought that the celebrations from the away end at the end were OTT for what is effectively half-time. I hope that the over confidence and expectation of the fans spreads to their team on Sunday.

Much like our fans last season at Selhurst (and that was only a draw).

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
On point 3. Weren't we signing "we going to wembley" after a 0-0 at selhurst last year? Can't have a pop at another teams set of fans for enjoying winning an away leg of a play off game ffs

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bit of Devil's advocate:

2) Certainly didn't get all of the decisions right, but I didn't think he/they were as bad as you make out. The East stand lino limply raising his flag for a throw-in, just about after said throw-in was taken was a bit poor, though.

:shrug:

The throw-in awarded, from some distance, when the ball had so clearly not even touched the line, let alone crossed it, was rather funny.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I didn't like our set pieces one bit, if we had a 9ft player on the far post he might just about get his head to a couple of the over hit balls into the box, although some would be too high even for him.

They've been poor all season. Please God can we work on them before Sunday. A corner or a freekick could win us the game. It's vital we do something more dangerous than a shithouse lofted ball to the far post that misses everyone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They've been poor all season. Please God can we work on them before Sunday. A corner or a freekick could win us the game. It's vital we do something more dangerous than a shithouse lofted ball to the far post that misses everyone.

It's completely bizarre that we KEEP persisting with the same ball that as far as I recall never works. How hard can it be to have a bit of variety to set pieces?

Now watch us get the winning goal on Sunday from exactly the ball I'm moaning about :lolol:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's completely bizarre that we KEEP persisting with the same ball that as far as I recall never works. How hard can it be to have a bit of variety to set pieces?

Now watch us get the winning goal on Sunday from exactly the ball I'm moaning about :lolol:

:lolol: you're 100% right, we need to do more and actually threaten them. It amazes me that we have Upson, Greer and Ulloa in the mix and yet can't seem to win anything. Get Calde and Solly practicing dead balls all day please!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

1 & 2... ok. Leo seems to have a reputation now and NEVER gets the decision because he tries it on so much. KLL seems to have a similar problem (but wasn't obvious yesterday).

3... really? And we wouldn't have been smug if the result was reversed? We were pretty smug on Saturday when we scored again. Having endured nearly 20 mins of "that's why you're staying down...", singing it back at them straight after the goal was the definition of smug! Nothing wrong at all wrong with their attitude while inside the ground (seemed to turn into complete ars*h*les outside though!)

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

- the one that floats past every player in the box and lands in an empty patch of grass close to the opposite corner - yeah, that'll happen! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here