Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy EU Day!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Heaven take thy soul, and Europe keep my bones. European by the grace of god, have a great day everyone.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Heaven take thy soul, and Europe keep my bones. European by the grace of god, have a great day everyone.

Just what we need this morning, a smug Tory ******* advocating the positives of suffocating anti democratic global capitalism under the auspices of an anniversary no one gives a f*** about.

You could of course refer to this as Schuman day, as it is known in other EU countries, a day of celebration amongst some EU supporters that lacks that little bit of je nais se quoi.

The answer..................

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1469768/Vatican-resists-drive-to-canonise-EU-founder.html

How is the campaign going?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
:clap: *Sits down with bowl of Rice Krispies and awaits a hoped for binfest*

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Oddly enough the predictions are that the European Parliament will probably have 1/3 members from anti EU parties. What a mess it is over there in Brussels.

I also understand that, even if the entire parliament was anti EU, they couldn't dissolve the union. Oh no, that is down to the unelected commission.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Would this be the right thread to point out that your beloved Germany lags behind us little Englanders when it comes to education? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27314075

2nd best in Europe and 6th best in the world - poor old Germany doesn't even make the top ten. Ah well, maybe next year eh?

"They also include higher-education graduation rates, which helped the UK to a much higher position "

I knew all those sport, media and tourism degrees would be of use at some point.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
"They also include higher-education graduation rates, which helped the UK to a much higher position "

I knew all those sport, media and tourism degrees would be of use at some point.

Take Britain out of the equation and Germany would still be behind Poland and Ireland and still out of the top ten. Gott im Himmel! That's got to hurt.

Ode an die Freude!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But enough of that. Let's celebrate EU Day and where better than the EU's own website listing all the events going on around Europe. I can see Austria, Italy gets mentioned twice...but no mention of events in Germany. That can't be right, can it?

http://europa.eu/about-eu/basic-inf...day/index_en.htm#odd_activities_across_europe

Maybe that's because you're looking in the wrong place? If I wanted a gig guide to London I would not go looking on the governments website and complain about a lack of listings.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Maybe that's because you're looking in the wrong place? If I wanted a gig guide to London I would not go looking on the governments website and complain about a lack of listings.

Err...This is EU Day. Surely the first place to look would be the EU website, wouldn't it?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. The What's On guide in Berlin doesn't seem to have any listings for EU Day celebrations either. There's Dirty Dancing Live Tour but it's not quite the same thing.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Which campaign in particular? I am engaged in many altruistic battles.

That is as maybe, however there was evidently a campaign a few years ago by the swivel eyed religous nutjobs who run the EU to get "Blessed Robert Schuman" beatified as a saint................proof if ever it was needed that when it comes to the EU the truth can be stranger than fiction.

http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/robert-schuman-nearing-beatification-exemplified-faith-and-politics

Given you are celebrating the miracle of Schuman Day courtesy of this deity, I would imagine you would be full square behind this particular campaign?

So.................how is it going?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That is as maybe, however there was evidently a campaign a few years ago by the swivel eyed religous nutjobs who run the EU to get "Blessed Robert Schuman" beatified as a saint................proof if ever it was needed that when it comes to the EU the truth can be stranger than fiction.

http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/robert-schuman-nearing-beatification-exemplified-faith-and-politics

Given you are celebrating the miracle of Schuman Day courtesy of this deity, I would imagine you would be full square behind this particular campaign?

So.................how is it going?

No-one puts Robert Schuman in the corner....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here