Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Derby have beaten us three times this season . Oh the irony if the Albion won .....

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

D

Deleted User X18H

The fourth encounter .

It's set up for it I tell you.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Why would it be ironic?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Derby have had the rub of the green against us in all three games this season, I think we can turn them over at their place though.

D

Deleted User X18H

Why would it be ironic?

Well the teams play each other 4 times. Three of those encounters Derby win . Finish well above Albion in the League placings.

The fourth encounter the Albion win. And (possibly ) go on to the Play Off Final.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Irony - the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

So not sure what was ironic in your statement since you did not actually say anything.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well the teams play each other 4 times. Three of those encounters Derby win . Finish well above Albion in the League placings.

The fourth encounter the Albion win. And (possibly ) go on to the Play Off Final.

That's not irony.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If we were to win 3-0 at Derby I think it would be ironical. 1-0 and winning on penalties is more borderline irony.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If we were to win 3-0 at Derby I think it would be ironical. 1-0 and winning on penalties is more borderline irony.

Did you read the definition of irony above?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Strangely having to go there to win I think is beneficial to us. I would be more worried if we only needed a draw. Anything can happen in a one-off game. I never expected us to make the p/offs, so everything is a bonus.

I agree with you. Imagine if we'd taken a 1 goal lead and blown it? After the meltdown after last night (which is only half time) I don't think we'd hear the end of the Oscar out threads until the summer. So tedious and boring yet so predictable.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think HB&B is correct with the use of irony as far as the Oxford description is concerned:

'A state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result'

To win away at Derby, after having been beaten twice at home and once away already this season, would be contrary to what is expected, and it would certainly be amusing (to us).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It would be funny, regardless of whether it's ironic (or even ironical). For once, HB&B is on to something.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I agree with you. Imagine if we'd taken a 1 goal lead and blown it? After the meltdown after last night (which is only half time) I don't think we'd hear the end of the Oscar out threads until the summer. So tedious and boring yet so predictable.

I wasn't particularly thinking about fall-out if we lost, I just don't think only needing a draw is very helpful.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Did you read the definition of irony above?

Irony : a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result.

synonyms: paradox, paradoxical nature, incongruity, incongruousness.

No I didn't but have now and it is not relevant. You shouldn't believe all you read on the internet. a 3-0 victory could be construed as ironical but hoveInBred ,as you point out, is not being ironical himself on this occassion.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
2-1 or 3-1 to Derby in second leg. McLaren and Clough's youth/scouting system have produced a proper team with pace all over the pitch, and on the counter they will pick us off. Not the end of the World - highlights to the Board and OG to please deal with the lack of pace in the Summer. For example, are Greer and Andrews really now at this stage in their careers promotion class?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I wasn't particularly thinking about fall-out if we lost, I just don't think only needing a draw is very helpful.

No I know, but I agree I don't think it would suit us Derby piling on the pressure and us desperately defending. As I said on another thread, will be interesting to see what tactics Derby employ, I'd imagine they'll continue to go for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here