Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Derby (home)

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Kuszczack 6. Not a lot to do except pick the ball out of the back of the net. One great punch out in the 2nd half. Probably not to blame for the goal.
Calderon 7. Great cross for the goal. Got forward well and defended OK.
Greer 7. One of his better displays.
Upson 7. Can't comment on blame for the penalty as difficult to see from WSU, but otherwise a decent game.
Ward 8. Defended very well and some great forward runs. MOM.
Andrews 5. Gave the ball away far too often.
JFC 2. Awful. Should have been hauled off at h-t or before.
Orlandi 7. Some moments of real class, but on occasion knocked off the ball too easily. Looks like still not 100% fit.
Buckley 6. One or two moments of class, but overall didn't do enough and still a shadow of his former self.
Lingard 6. Well taken goal, but his game deteriorated as the game progressed. The sponsors must have been Man U supporters to give him man-of-the-match.
Ulloa 6. So-so game. One great shot, but not much decent service.

Subs:
KLL 7. Did bring some much needed urgency to the game, but a number of poor crosses and off-target shots.
March 8. Brought the kind of energy and skill to the game which we had been sadly lacking.
CMS. Not on long enough to rate, but as with March gave 100% and should have been brought on much much earlier.

Manager 4. Should have taken JFC off at h-t and given CMS at least twice as long on the pitch.

Albion fans get an 8 for the first 25 mins, but went awfully quiet from then on. Could take a lesson from the Palace fans who continued to make an enormous amount of noise even when 3 down against Liverpool and undoubtedly influenced their team's fight back.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Kusczack 6
Calderon 6
Greer 7
Upson 6
Ward 7
Andrews 6
JFC 5
Orlandi 6
Buckley 6
Lingard 6
Ulloa 6

Subs:
KLL 6
March 7
CMS 6

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
On a disappointing night I will not give ratings until tomorrow. The only comment to be made is that our midfield was too lightweight, static and not forward looking, hence the long ball from the back as it misses out the midfield. This needs to be addressed for the replay.

Orlandi lightweight, casual and ducking tackles, work rate poor
Andrews - slow, predictable, sideways playing and caught in possession
Buckley- needs to see a sports psychiatrist as we cannot continue with this hamstring issue that isn't an issue, tonight he was a waste of selection
Jesse- great that he scored, but his touch was poor, is still lightweight but at least tried harder tonight.
JFC- bad choice to shoot from so far out which led to the catalyst to their first goal, had his back to play after his shot when they moved so quickly up the pitch.

Where's the ball winner or creative player in there.

Criminal waste of dead ball plays tonight also.

Frustrating, but we're still in the tie!!!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Kusczak - 6
Calderon - 7
Ward - 5
Upson - 4
Greer - 8 MOTM
Andrew - 6
JFC - 3
Orlandi - 5
Buckley - 5
Lingard - 7
Ulloa - 6

Lua lua - 5
March - 7
CMS - 5

We seemed to play into their hands tonight. They are an excellent counter attacking side and we seems hell bent on diving in all night, rather than staying on our feet and getting men back behind the ball.

When we did have the ball our delivery from wide areas was appalling coupled with our inability to get bodies in the box means we look pretty toothless upfront. Playing 4-5-1 you need to get the attacking midfielder as well as a winger on the back post. No one gets ahead of the ball from midfield and Ulloa is generally isolated.

We really lack athleticism in midfield, we don't cover enough ground going both forward and backwards and that is a huge problem against teams that break with pace.

I like JFC but he was totally overawed tonight, and needed to be taken off for Ince, that being said Orlandi & Buckley weren't much better and surely Ince and March need to come in after tonight.

Buckley has to be carrying an injury or something is not right mentally, like Saturday his not using his main attribute his pace. So many times he could have turned at run at the full back but kept looking to turn back or go sideways.

We are still in the tie, the next goal is key but we have a chance.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
Kusczack 6.5
Calderon 6.5
Greer 8.5 - MoM
Upson 6
Ward 6.5
Andrews 4 - words fail me - far too careless in possession.
JFC 4 - :shit:
Orlandi 5.5
Buckley 6
Lingard 7.5
Ulloa 6.5

Subs:
KLL 7
March 7.5 (Great Cruyff turn)
CMS 7

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What is it with former England internationals making the mistake that lets our opponents score against us in play offs? Last season Bridge lost his man, this season Upson concedes a penalty.

We had two teams playing, one in the first 20 minutes and from 60-80ish minutes and a second team playing the rest of it. A team that player with confidence and attacking intent. A team that looked dangerous when it went forward. A team that knew how to pass and who to. For the other 50+ minutes we had their opposite. Passes going astray, attacks being slow and indecisive. The first twenty minutes reminded me of the the first thirty or so v Doncaster and Wigan that had me thinking the team was clicking and finding its groove, only for us to slip back into slow defensive play in following games.

Yet again we have no one trying to get in the box. I feel like a broken record, but when you only have one attacker in the box, you make it easy to defend against because defenders know where the ball is being aimed, and it needs to be a peach of a cross to pick out that one man in 6, and at this level those crosses don't come along too often. Case in point, free kick in the second half; Kuszczak on the edge of his area, three players on the half way line, one outside the box taking the free kick leaving 6 albion players in the box among 11 derby players, almost 2:1 meaning they can just easily crowd us out. (I believe in that instance it was played short, possession was lost and Derby ran up the other end). It is so frustrating to see exactly why we don't score that often and see no changes made over the course of a season. If we want to score more goals, we need to get more men in the box. It's that simple.

Kuszczak 5.5 - Unlucky with the goal, but I'm unconvinced by his dive on the initial shot, seemed desperate like the sort of dive you see when a keeper is well beaten. Despite more clean sheets, he seems to have made more mistakes this season
Calderon 6 -
Greer 6 -
Upson 5.5 - uncharacteristic performance, passes going astray, penalty conceded
Ward 6
Andrews 5.5
JFC 5 - Seemed to make a decent start, but after that first 20mins seemed to get worse as the game went on
Orlandi 6
Lingard 6
Ulloa 5.5 - Stop getting so caught up in trying to win free kicks and just play football.
Buckley 5.5

Lualua 5 - one of those performances that make me wonder why people get so excited by him. So many wasted shots, so many opportunities to go at Derby but hesitated too much, so slow to get back when an attack break down
March 7 - Ran at them, provided a real threat
CMS Showed more desire and effort, harrying the defence than most of the rest of the team in that last ten minutes.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Kusczack 6
Calderon 8 MOTM
Greer 6
Upson 6
Ward 7
Andrews 7
JFC 4
Orlandi 5
Buckley 7
Lingard 6
Ulloa 6

Subs:
KLL 6
March 7
CMS 7

I agree apart from Buckley who I wouldn't score any. Someone who "claims" to have hamstring problems gets subbed but then states at the end of the game he's all right needs his head examined.

Done once too often he's a light weight and not a team player. If he had half of what Calderon has he might be a decent player.

Anyone who still believes Bruno is better than Calderon knows f**k all about football in this country.

The man is better going forwards, far far more dangerous, better defending and a real team player.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
PIG - 6 - a couple of punches, but otherwise nothing to do other than pick the ball out of the net twice, once having been hot on the back. Distribution reasonable by his standards.

Calde - 6.5 - very good early in first half getting forward. Dumb booking made him vulnerable at the back. Faded.

Ward - 6.5 - solid as usual, not the usual quality on his deliveries.

Greer - 7 - MOM but still too inclined to lump aimless balls forward.

Upson 5.5 - moments of class but a poor challenge for the pen cost us badly.

Andrews - 6.5 - a limited player - is never going to have the drive of crofts or stephens (who we missed badly) but played well

JFC - 3 - not up to it sadly, looked like a league 1 player in a championship play off match. Should be replaced by ince on sunday

Orlandi - 6 - not fit, very good first 20 mins to which he was vital but faded badly

Buckley - 4 - something's seriously wrong - doesn't seem to trust his hamstrings enough to use his pace which is his main (only?) weapon

Lingaard - 6 - well taken goal but otherwise average

Ulloa - 5.5 - seemed like a thankless task competing for numerous aimless long balls but then, did he win any of them? Failed to attack the near post for a couple of good lua lua crosses

Subs

Lua lua - 6 didn't quite happen for him - a bit predictable at times but at least he seems to care

March - 7.5 - exciting cameo, should start for Buckley on Sunday

CMS - 7 - ran around even more than usual - like he was trying to prove he's fit enough for more than 10 mins. If he is, he should get them, adds pace and urgency to our play.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
We had two teams playing, one in the first 20 minutes and from 60-80ish minutes and a second team playing the rest of it. A team that player with confidence and attacking intent. A team that looked dangerous when it went forward. A team that knew how to pass and who to. For the other 50+ minutes we had their opposite. Passes going astray, attacks being slow and indecisive. The first twenty minutes reminded me of the the first thirty or so v Doncaster and Wigan that had me thinking the team was clicking and finding its groove, only for us to slip back into slow defensive play in following games.
that ...!! our passing in the second half was woeful......crosses to no-one , passes hit short and long. Orlandi noticably off pace , jfc just not upto it.

think oscar got the team wrong ....surely cms should have played a greater part

pig 4
calde 6
greer 7.5
upson 7 cant blame him for the pen as the rest of our lot just stood there and let the guy run.
ward 6 very quiet today not helped by starting line up maybe.
jfc 4 not up to it
andrews 6
orlandi 5.5 off the pace today , again.
lingard 7
ulloa 6 for **** sake have a go at the ball instead of the ref
buckley 7 one of his better games i thought

subs march 5
kaz 4 scared off by wisdom soon after entering the game
cms not on long enough to warrant a score.....why not is beyond me to be honest

ref 4 gave us virtually nothing i thought although no arguments with their pen , we had two decent appeals waved away.

oscar 6 hmm....i'm not going to say it cos i love him.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm not sure how I score individuals for that game. Why when our only tactic was to float crosses in, were we not attacking both posts. Why was the only cross driven on the ground in the second half a mis-kick from Greer. How were we supposed to defend those quick breaks with those personnel in midfield. I could score many players very positively for their attacking play and very negatively for their defensive play.

but in the spirit of the thread

K 5
Ward 6
Upson 5
Greer 6
Calderon 7
JFC 4
Andrews 5
Orlandi 6
Buckley 6
Lingard 7
Ulloa 5

Lua Lua 5
CMS 6
March 6

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I cant believe the ratings upson is getting. I thought it was hia worst display for us. Backed off constantly. Sloppy passes and had free headers and would knock it down to a derby player

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Kuszczak 5

Calderon 7
Greer 6
Upson 5
Ward 7

Andrews 4
Forster-Caskey 4
Orlandi 5

Buckley 6
Ulloa 6
Lingard 7

Subs:

Lua Lua 6
March 6
CMS 7

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
PIG - 6 - a couple of punches, but otherwise nothing to do other than pick the ball out of the net twice, once having been hot on the back. Distribution reasonable by his standards.

Calde - 6.5 - very good early in first half getting forward. Dumb booking made him vulnerable at the back. Faded.

Ward - 6.5 - solid as usual, not the usual quality on his deliveries.

Greer - 7 - MOM but still too inclined to lump aimless balls forward.

Upson 5.5 - moments of class but a poor challenge for the pen cost us badly.

Andrews - 6.5 - a limited player - is never going to have the drive of crofts or stephens (who we missed badly) but played well

JFC - 3 - not up to it sadly, looked like a league 1 player in a championship play off match. Should be replaced by ince on sunday

Orlandi - 6 - not fit, very good first 20 mins to which he was vital but faded badly

Buckley - 4 - something's seriously wrong - doesn't seem to trust his hamstrings enough to use his pace which is his main (only?) weapon

Lingaard - 6 - well taken goal but otherwise average

Ulloa - 5.5 - seemed like a thankless task competing for numerous aimless long balls but then, did he win any of them? Failed to attack the near post for a couple of good lua lua crosses

Subs

Lua lua - 6 didn't quite happen for him - a bit predictable at times but at least he seems to care

March - 7.5 - exciting cameo, should start for Buckley on Sunday

CMS - 7 - ran around even more than usual - like he was trying to prove he's fit enough for more than 10 mins. If he is, he should get them, adds pace and urgency to our play.

I agree with most of your ratings, but Orlandi had a truly shocking first 20 minutes. He didn't retain possession once and every flick and layoff went either out of play or to a Derby player. Delivery was generally poor and like Buckley seems to be playing with no confidence.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Kusczack 6
Calderon 8 MOTM
Greer 6
Upson 6
Ward 7
Andrews 7
JFC 4
Orlandi 5
Buckley 7
Lingard 6
Ulloa 6

Subs:
KLL 6
March 7
CMS 7

Agree with these :)

Dead ball delivery and crossing was very poor - No point only having one on the box if the ball goes sailing over his head or is blocked at the edge of the box.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I agree with most of your ratings, but Orlandi had a truly shocking first 20 minutes. He didn't retain possession once and every flick and layoff went either out of play or to a Derby player. Delivery was generally poor and like Buckley seems to be playing with no confidence.

I guess this is why football will always be a game of opinions! Whilst some of what he did didn't come off I felt orlandi gives us a bit of tempo and something different in the final third with the speed of his lay offs and willingness to try the unexpected. I thought that was key to how we started the game. He faded out of the game after that and so did we as a team. Agree his set piece delivery was shocking though - as was theirs - what the hell do they do in training every day?!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Kuszczak 5.5

Calderon 7
Greer 7
Upson 4.5
Ward 6.5

Andrews 4
Forster-Caskey 4
Orlandi 5

Buckley 6
Ulloa 6
Lingard 6

Subs:

Lua Lua 6
March 6.5
CMS 6

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Kuszczak - Unlucky with the goal, little to do otherwise: 6.5
Calderon - Good going forward but looked defensively shaky at times: 6.5
Greer - Good performance from him yesterday, looked to be driving the team on at times: 7.5
Upson - Surprised by how he played, some sloppy passes and not like him to dive in for that tackle which resulted in the penalty: 5.75
Ward - Solid: 7
Andrews - I actually thought he was okay, several misplaced passes though: 6.5
Forster-Caskey - Poor heading put us under pressure, not enough influence on the game when we had possession. He is young though and will improve: 5.5
Orlandi - Quiet, looked lively at times but didn't really create much: 6
Buckley - Very saddening how he has declined due to injuries, didn't do much wrong but offered little: 6
Lingard - Well taken goal but quiet thereafter: 6.75
Ulloa - Some decent hold up play: 6.5

Subs:

Lualua - I don't think I've ever been more frustrated by a player. Could offer so much in attack but seems to prefer standing still, having 3 or 4 Derby players descend on him before shooting/crossing erratically wide: 3
March - Good performance from him, great strength and pace. I'd start him ahead of Buckley on Sunday: 7
CMS - Not on long enough to mark but had a great run down the East side and harried their players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here