Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon- not good enough defensively

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I await a flaming, and I love Calde but for a team looking to get promoted from this division he simply isn't good enough defensively. How many times have we seen him commit a silly challenge early on and get a needless yellow, meaning he can't defend properly for the rest of the game? I think he'd be far better suited to being a winger, he carries great attacking threat and is a good crosser of the ball, but for a team famed for a great defensive record he is not a patch on Bruno imho.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I don't think he is pacey enough to be a winger, if i was oscar id play 3 CBs and have Ward and Calderon as wing backs,

Perhaps not but our wingers with 'pace' are so inconsistent crossing wise. Ulloa was feeding off scraps as per usual.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Perhaps not but our wingers with 'pace' are so inconsistent crossing wise. Ulloa was feeding off scraps as per usual.

exactly why i would play them as wing backs, because they can go forward, but there are 3 defenders to cover when hit on the break rather than 2, thus reducing the vulnerability of the team when hit with a counter attack as fast as derby's, as i saw that once in the first half ward stayed forward and greer and upson couldn't have covered for him so lingard had to defend.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Sadly agree with the OP. Great going forward but defensively not up to it. It was when Zaha switched wings in the playoffs last year that the game turned. Bridge had him in his pocket, Calderon couldn't handle him.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Sadly agree with the OP. Great going forward but defensively not up to it. It was when Zaha switched wings in the playoffs last year that the game turned. Bridge had him in his pocket, Calderon couldn't handle him.

Pretty much a carbon copy of last year unfortunately, he can get away with it against the weaker sides in this division but when we face a side with pacy, tricky wingers he doesn't have the positional awareness.

D

Deleted member 2719

Disagree Upson left short passes all game, why go at calde?

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex

which is how holloway outthought Poyet, most managers would tell the defenders to swap places in that situation

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here