Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Commission report - the plan to save English football = B Teams

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
http://www.thefa.com/news/thefa/2014/may/fa-commission-report

If you want to read the 84 page report it is here: http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/pdf/england/the-fa-chairmans-england-commission-report.ashx

The primary proposals being focussed on right now are the introduction of Premier League B teams into English football (in a newly created League 3 merging B teams and Conference teams), and the development of Strategic Loan Partnerships between clubs

They are also looking at revamping the home-grown player requirements for matchday quads, and the availability of visas for non-EU players

Last edited:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Nice work - The FA appear to want to kill lower league football.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
They're using the situation in Germany as a case study for why the B team thing is a good idea.

Only problem is that Germany are thinking about scrapping it and sending players on loan instead as they are too expensive and the gap between the Bundesliga and the lower league level B teams play is too big. It has also all but killed football below the third division

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I made the point on the other thread about it (when it was rumoured) that football clubs need fans - how many people are going to go and watch - for instance - Bolton B v Burnley B? Teams are about the fans, not necessarily about players. Yes, in an ideal world I would love to see England as dominant as Spain, Germany etc, but the problem isn't solved by generating a new league with meaningless, unwatched football. It's solved by investing in the youth academies, and grass root's sport. I don't think it's the German or Spanish route we should be following - it's the Australian, or South African models which, I feel, would suit us better.

Absolutely hideous decision, made by men in suits who have no background in football. Total mess.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Oh no! Is this GOING to happen, or is there any more hurdles it has to pass? :nono:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I made the point on the other thread about it (when it was rumoured) that football clubs need fans - how many people are going to go and watch - for instance - Bolton B v Burnley B? Teams are about the fans, not necessarily about players. Yes, in an ideal world I would love to see England as dominant as Spain, Germany etc, but the problem isn't solved by generating a new league with meaningless, unwatched football. It's solved by investing in the youth academies, and grass root's sport. I don't think it's the German or Spanish route we should be following - it's the Australian, or South African models which, I feel, would suit us better.

Absolutely hideous decision, made by men in suits who have no background in football. Total mess.

Isnt this what they are trying to address, that is what is happening now with the Development Squad games ??.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Fiii....

The thing they over look that the Germans also do and i'd like to see is having a minimum number of overseas/non-homegrown young players in the squads. that's something that would be possible and positive.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
They're using the situation in Germany as a case study for why the B team thing is a good idea.

Only problem is that Germany are thinking about scrapping it and sending players on loan instead as they are too expensive and the gap between the Bundesliga and the lower league level B teams play is too big. It has also all but killed football below the third division

There has never been football below the third division really. In fact, the national third division didn't exist until ten or so years ago

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It is disgusting that an organisation that represents football at all levels has jumped into bed with the premier league and put forward proposals that would destroy the league tradition. Shame on you the FA

I hope the whole of the football league makes a stand against this shambles. If premier league clubs want to blood youngsters then send them out to existing clubs on loan

The B Team thing will only involve Youth Development Squads from Premier League clubs, not Championship (or lower) clubs.

How would that work - three B teams disappearing as the parent club is relegated to be replaced by new ones every year? And what happens if a B team won a league shortly before being 'disappeared' - would the new club 'inherit' the promotion or be forced to start again in League 3? Looks like this would only benefit the ten (or less) clubs that are more or less guaranteed Premier League football (and therefore League football for the B team), not even all Prem clubs. Ridiculous idea.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Sounds like a lot of hot air to me.

If there is such an abundance of academy players not getting enough competitive games, the simple solution is to loan them out to clubs in lower divisions and subsidise their apprenticeships, so that the foster club can stay within FFP.

I haven’t read the report but does anyone know what will happen to the B Teams if they get promoted four times, will we end up with Liverpool A playing Liverpool B?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Sounds like a lot of hot air to me.

If there is such an abundance of academy players not getting enough competitive games, the simple solution is to loan them out to clubs in lower divisions and subsidise their apprenticeships, so that the foster club can stay within FFP.

I haven’t read the report but does anyone know what will happen to the B Teams if they get promoted four times, will we end up with Liverpool A playing Liverpool B?

They are not allowed to be promoted above league 1 under the current proposals

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can it really happen? Everybody with an interest in football outside the top ten clubs will be up in arms about it, with the armchair "Buckinghamshire reds" types totally indifferent.

Utter tail-wagging-the-dog bollocks that makes you wonder how the people at the FA ever got into a position to run the national game.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
So within this new League 3 of 10 PL B teams and 10 conference teams I assume there will be promotion/relegation?? So with it a very real chance that a few years after this comes to fruition the likes of Man U B, Chelsea B, Arsenal B, Man City B will be dominatiing the Championship.

:nono:

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I would love to hear Oscar's views on this bearing in mind how much his career benefited from Barca B

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
So presumably when we had lots of English players playing top-flight football (in the 70s and 80s say) we were awesome?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here