Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playing Derby on the back foot.

Can we win the Derby tie if we set up defensively?

• We can win if we set up defensively

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • We will not win if we set up defensivey

Votes: 17 58.6%

• Total voters

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I do not think that playing Derby in a defensive manner can work. Their attacking players are too good as they have demonstrated on many occasions this season. IMHO, we need to attack from the off or we will lose the tie. Thoughts?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
We have to attack at home, we need a goal to put the pressure on for the away leg. If we go away with a draw or loss then its game over.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We played defensively against QPR in both games and it worked nicely

Derby play better team football and work harder for each other than QPR do IMO.

To be honest the truthful answer to this poll is 'neither'. We won't go uber defensive or uber attacking. I think we'll take it slowly, build ourselves into the game and be patient. Then, on 70 minutes, give them LuaLuas pace to worry about and push a little harder.

I haven't necessarily enjoyed how we've been playing this season but we'd be a fool to abandon it now. We do well against the better teams and we can give Derby a good run for their money.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Like all games I am sure that Oscar will set up to be no more than 1 goal down at 60 mins and then go for the win in the last 1/3rd of the game both tonight and Sunday. If things go wrong tonight he may change this for Sunday but I cannot see it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
We have to attack at home, we need a goal to put the pressure on for the away leg. If we go away with a draw or loss then its game over.

I don't agree, a draw would be a cracking result. Derby would feel the pressure if they are still level at half time in their home leg. I would then fancy us to come into the game.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
We need to score more goals than them to win. If we are to score goals, we need to have possession of the ball. If we dominate possession, Derby won't be able to get a look-on goal.

Ergo, attacking play is the only way we are going to win. But that means converting our chances and not wasting them like we seem to have done so often this season.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
And hopefully we've learnt from our last few games about making the most of set-pieces when we have the chance too!

Ironically I think we will do a version of Holloway's tactics from a year ago, keep the tie level for as long as poss and then try and strike late with LuaLua. I've lost count of the amount of times this season I've hoped we would try and attack early so am not getting my hopes up tonight, but hope that the more "patient" tactics work

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Possession football, look to tire them while keeping the ball, then bring Lua Lua on to devastating affect.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The question on the poll is stupid to be honest. We are naturally more cautious & defensive side, if we tried to attack more we'd probably lose due to the fact it's not our normal game style & it would be suicidal to try something mad in a play off game.

Something inbetween is fine, cautious at first though.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Not sure we will try and go toe to toe with Derby in terms of attacking and leaving the game open. I think they have shown with the number of goals they have scored they have bright attacking players and can score a hatful on their day. More likely we will go out and make it hard for them leaving little space between the lines. Daft as it sounds 0-0 is not appalling tonight. At home Derby will attack more and just the one goal away after a scoreless draw will leave them needing 2. We saw that with Palace last year when we needed to chase the game.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
The question on the poll is stupid to be honest. We are naturally more cautious & defensive side, if we tried to attack more we'd probably lose due to the fact it's not our normal game style & it would be suicidal to try something mad in a play off game.

Something inbetween is fine, cautious at first though.

Ahh, bless.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ironically I think we will do a version of Holloway's tactics from a year ago, keep the tie level for as long as poss and then try and strike late with LuaLua. I've lost count of the amount of times this season I've hoped we would try and attack early so am not getting my hopes up tonight, but hope that the more "patient" tactics work

I think we'll be patient and attempt to hit them on the break. We'll try and keep the ball and build but we won't commit too many forward in normal play. When we are defending and get the ball off Derby I think we may break quicker than we usually do though, well I hope so anyway. Depends which Buckley turns up tonight as to how successful this will be though.

Is Bruno likely to play? I hope he is, we are more threatening with him in the team imo.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here