Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The World Cup

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not very far away at all, now.

I know we're in the play-offs etc but nevertheless why am I not very excited? I'm usually lapping it up from here on in. Anyone else feeling like this?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not very far away at all, now.

I know we're in the play-offs etc but nevertheless why am I not very excited? I'm usually lapping it up from here on in. Anyone else feeling like this?

The build up to the WC officially starts on 25th May :) (or Monday morning :( ). Right now, there is no WC.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nah, I'm well up for it, have been for weeks.

Granted the play-offs have temporarily taken over for a bit, and obviously will continue to do so if we got to Wembley and then somehow got up.

But the kids have been going the Pannini album, and a few things of their own about each country involved, flags. money, food etc.

And this is Brazil. It's the best country to have the WC, whatever happens to England. Wish I was going (like my bloody nextdoor neighbour who seems to be getting a three-week freebie via working for BA), but will really enjoy it on the TV.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
I can't get PROPERLY excited until my exams finish on June 2nd.

The days have been rolling by nicely though, just under 5 weeks now! Have a feeling in my water that this WC will be one to remember.:love:

Anyone entered any work/college SWEEPSTAKES? That's always something that helps with the anticipation. I got Ivory Coast and Chile.:tosser:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Imagine if we got promoted AND England made it through to yet more quarter final GLORY.

Best. Summer. Ever.

Oct 25, 2003
I talk about the world cup on average about 17 times a day...it's my favourite time. My excitement is building, it seems like a country is releasing their squad each day (england on monday), my panini sticker album is coming along nicely, i've been enjoying the bbc's "100 world cup moments" videos each day....it's just the ruddy WORLD CUP

the CUP of the WORLD

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Imagine if we got promoted AND England made it through to yet more quarter final GLORY.

Best. Summer. Ever.

In the (hugely unlikely, obviously) event that we were to go up, Oscar and Burke can treat the World Cup games like the Shopping Channel. :clap2:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is the World cup this year ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can't bloody wait. Sort yourselves out. It's the WORLD CUP. In BRAZIL. Regardless of what happens to England, this is what we dreamed of as kids, this is why we love football. C'mon.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Just wait for all the inevitable endless Mars/McDonalds/Carsberg adverts (you know, all the healthy stuff).

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I can't bloody wait. Sort yourselves out. It's the WORLD CUP. In BRAZIL. Regardless of what happens to England, this is what we dreamed of as kids, this is why we love football. C'mon.

Nah. If England are there - it is all about England. Until we are knocked out at least. Then the nation can relax and start to enjoy the football.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I mean you are right. But of the the great tournaments was 1970 - my first proper watching, and all I can think of is Leon, Uwe Seeler, and Peter Bloody Bonetti.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Nah. If England are there - it is all about England. Until we are knocked out at least. Then the nation can relax and start to enjoy the football.

I think there's a different approach with this world cup when to comes to England, as nobody, not even England fans are expecting them to win it for once.

This could work in their favour as there's no pressure on them. Due to this if they can get through that tricky group then they could get to the quarter final or maybe even, yes... the semi final, granted the ceiling is hit then though.

All of this depends on whether ROY get's it right on Monday obviously too. I just think a young England team mixed with the experience of Gerrard/Baines/Hart/Rooney ect playing with no pressure has the potential to go very far.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Unlike any previous WC I find myself with little interest this time round, a combination of the Endemic corruption at FIFA along with billions spent on this tournament in a country where widespread poverty and Social unrest is common coupled with the inevitable failure of our national side have lead me to an attitude of complete apathy. I'm sure the Brazilians will put on a decent show even with barely finished venues and a chaotic infrastructure but I'm hoping that the people of Brazil will protest like they are promising to and disrupt the WC and cause FIFA the maximum embarrassment and aggravation. My biggest wish would be Sepp Blatters motorcade getting ambushed and seeing the smug flabby faced **** get a good kicking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here