Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supermarkets selling Halal meat......

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Major supermarkets, including M&S and Tesco, admit to selling Halal meat and not labeling it as such.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27322350

I would rather know that my dinner was slaughtered in something approaching a humane manner. What is, and isn't humane is open to discussion, but Halal meat should be labelled correctly in my opinion.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
It should be banned full stop. Nothing should suffer more than it has to in the name of religion.

Certainly should be labeled correctly. I don't want to eat Halal meat without my knowledge.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Since when did carnivores get so squeamish? When you see birds having necks wrung etc there is no nice way to do it. The thinking behind this uproar is more likely to be.bigotry rather than animal welfare

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Since when did carnivores get so squeamish? When you see birds having necks wrung etc there is no nice way to do it. The thinking behind this uproar is more likely to be.bigotry rather than animal welfare

Bloody RSPA i knew they were a racist organisation all along.

If your a veggie or vegan I could undertstand but I think a lot of people are now more in animal welfare and Halal meat is exempted from the basic legal guidelines which I think is worth being concerned about

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

It's such a nothing story. Birds gets slaughtered inhumanely at an enormous level whether it's halal or not, and I'm a bird lover. The Sun's 'story' is so bent and anti-muslim it's ridiculous.
If people were so concerned they wouldn't eat chicken to begin with.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This - or probably the opposite of it in a way! I'm a carnivore and am happy to eat shot game and foie gras because they're delicious things reared in the countryside that is part of my culture. I'm not going to get squeamish about Hal Al. Besides if you've ever had a kebab you've probably had Hal Al........or dog.....

Oct 25, 2003
This - or probably the opposite of it in a way! I'm a carnivore and am happy to eat shot game and foie gras because they're delicious things reared in the countryside that is part of my culture. I'm not going to get squeamish about Hal Al. Besides if you've ever had a kebab you've probably had Hal Al........or dog.....

Most 'Indian' take aways round this neck of the woods are run by people of Bangladeshi origin so their meat is probably halal as well

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I'm a carnivore and not squeamish ( especially having spent a large part of my childhood on a working meat farm ). That said I do believe information like this should be displayed. The supermarkets don't do so purposely as they know it would lose them sales. Is accurate labeling so much to ask ? Given the horse meat issue recently I can understand why people don't trust supermarket meat. I buy all my meat from the butchers - it's better value and better quality. I'm sure I saw Tesco adverts after the horse meat thing saying they would be open, honest and transparent from now on ...... hmmmmm ......

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Since when did carnivores get so squeamish?
Probably since they stopped catching/killing/gutting their food.
The thinking behind this uproar is more likely to be.bigotry rather than animal welfare
Not really. People are very squeamish about their food, they don't like eating offal etc. And the English are fairly against animal cruelty too. I think white Fois Gras and white Veal are less popular amongst Brits than other European countries, for example.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If the people who are outraged about this care so much about the suffering of animals and want it banned, why not suggest the ban on animal slaughter completely?

Why not create a law so that animals who are killed for food recieve an accepted level or care while this is being done? Oh there is one, but Halal meat is exempt.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If the people who are outraged about this care so much about the suffering of animals and want it banned, why not suggest the ban on animal slaughter completely?

this
but its never going to happen is it, all the time you have animal exporters find every loophole going and councils allowing them to use the ports in there area. Shoreham harbour is the prime example the entrance was in Hove and hove council sat on their hands and the little old ladies who were there demonstrating went out and voted the knobs out and even voted for a Labour MP.

its always in the hands of the people .....................if they care enough

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
thCA0RS4RX.jpg

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
As long as it is pre-stunned before slaughter then I'm fine by it (I don't really care if someone at the slaughter is chanting religious rubbish or not, it makes no difference :D)

As I understand it, most Halal is pre-stunned in this country?....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here