Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thierry Henry on BBC's World Cup broadcast team? Inappropriate choice perhaps?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
He might have been chosen to give first hand opinion on any contentious decisions, like goals being scored after blatant handballs, that might cheat a team out of progressing ???

If the smug muppet laughs about it if it is brought up, I will only watch nice ITV for the remainder of the tourney :ohmy:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He might have been chosen to give first hand opinion on any contentious decisions, like goals being scored after blatant handballs, that might cheat a team out of progressing ???

If the smug muppet laughs about it if it is brought up, I will only watch nice ITV for the remainder of the tourney :ohmy:

Bit over sensitive! He got away with it, not his fault but that of the officials. Don't tell me an Irishman or any other wouldn't have done the same and then owned up!!! If you want to be picky, then what about the fact that Ireland have been to world cups with very few Irishmen in the team!!!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Absurd to call Henry a cheat. He was a world class player, and maybe a very good pundit, let's wait and see. Also he's a good looking bloke so think he'll go down well with the ladeez.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I expect Roy Keane will be on ITV's coverage who was far more of a cheat than Henry.

And lets face it....he prevented inflicting the Irish on Africa so is probably up there with Geldof for what he's done for the continent.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
For me he is nothing but a cheat, and it would seem from some of the above replies that it is seen as acceptable

That blatant cheating, along the lines of Buckley and KLL throwing themselves theatrically to the floor in vain attempts to 'win' freekicks, is no doubt deemed acceptable, convinced me to not renew my season ticket, and watch non-league footy next season, which I believe to be more honest

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why? He cheated a team of players out of probably the biggest tournament of their careers? He is a cheat.

Did you shout cheat to Nicky Forster when he played for us? I remember Reading winning 1-0 at Withdean with a Forster hand hall.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
People still crying about that goal? Get a grip, tell you what if it was me I'd do whatever it takes also to get my country there.

Just because he scored a goal with his hand does not make him a 'cheat'

For me he is nothing but a cheat, and it would seem from some of the above replies that it is seen as acceptable

That blatant cheating, along the lines of Buckley and KLL throwing themselves theatrically to the floor in vain attempts to 'win' freekicks, is no doubt deemed acceptable, convinced me to not renew my season ticket, and watch non-league footy next season, which I believe to be more honest

Mate I hate to tell you but even in Sunday league people cheat & dive, it's football. Not nice, but it is.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

There have been far worse cheats - for example Maradona, or the Brazilian who had the ball kicked at his knee and then went down clutching his face.. It is part of the game I don't like, but it would not be a reason for giving up the season ticket, which to me would smack of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

And Thierry Henry is a well respected footballer worldwide, who might actually have something worthwhile to say.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Well you're going to get a rude awakening then.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Bit over sensitive! He got away with it, not his fault but that of the officials. Don't tell me an Irishman or any other wouldn't have done the same and then owned up!!!
Precisely this.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I wasn't summing up his career, just saying he was a cheat.

There is a massive difference between someone being a cheat and someone cheating, but this is an Internet message board and everything must be as black and white and concise as absolutely possible.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
There is a massive difference between someone being a cheat and someone cheating, but this is an Internet message board and everything must be as black and white and concise as absolutely possible.

I'm not really sure of the difference tbh. Obviously he didn't cheat in every match but did in one of the biggest of his career. As it turns out France were shit in the finals anyway but he still deprived those players possibly the high point of their careers.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I wasn't summing up his career, just saying he was a cheat.

You say that he deprived the Irish out of the biggest tournament of their careers, but you can't really say that with any certainty can you? France might have scored again, or scored from another move.. or Ireland could have scored ..after all there were still 18 minutes to go.. so what you say just doesn't stand up. We'll never know.

And, you're also being a tad pedantic by totally ignoring what he achieved. Henry was simply one of the best ever footballers to have played in the Premiership. He had a long and fantastic career. He also comes across as articulate and intelligent. He scored countless brilliant goals and exhibited huge skill and humility in doing so.

To label him a cheat is just wrong. Football needs more people like Thierry Henry.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
He cheated the Irish team whp only beat Georgia that year due to a massively dodgy penalty.

Everyone cheats

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here