Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Kat

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In the last two home games against Derby,* they've tried to stop us playing out from the back, and have been very effective at it, such that Top Kat has had to resort to kicking the ball. He is not very good at this. There were two general types. The first was aimed at Bruno but invariably sailed over his head and into touch. The second was the hoof up to Ulloa, which usually resulted in Derby reclaiming possession. Given what's happened with Ulloa over the past six months or so, this will probably result in him throwing himself to the ground, arguing with the ref, and getting frustrated (to the detriment of his play?).
If Derby are to persist with this strategy, we need to develop alternative options. I'm scratching my head about what they are. The only one that I can think of -- and I can see problems with this too -- is to start with Dunk, hoping that we can find a way to get the ball to him, and then leave him to launch those precision exocets that he regaled us with against Yeovil.
Has anyone else got any thoughts on this?

* I didn't go to this season's away game against Derby, but watched it on a stream and it was so dull, I don't remember anything about it, including whether Derby repeated this strategy in that game. This is a significant point, as they were managed by Clough in the two games I'm referring to, whereas in this season's away game, they were managed by McLaren.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't remember any particularly good passes by Dunk (or in fact anyone) against Yeovil

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
* I didn't go to this season's away game against Derby, but watched it on a stream and it was so dull, I don't remember anything about it, including whether Derby repeated this strategy in that game. This is a significant point, as they were managed by Clough in the two games I'm referring to, whereas in this season's away game, they were managed by McLaren.

I saw it on stream as well and it looked like they parked the bus. I thought at the time that they would be my choice team to play in the playoffs.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I recall the fantastic "offside" incident at the end of the Derby game last year when we managed to actually play almost their entire team offside in the dying seconds! Funniest thing I have ever seen at football.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In the last two home games against Derby,* they've tried to stop us playing out from the back, and have been very effective at it, such that Top Kat has had to resort to kicking the ball. He is not very good at this. There were two general types. The first was aimed at Bruno but invariably sailed over his head and into touch. The second was the hoof up to Ulloa, which usually resulted in Derby reclaiming possession. Given what's happened with Ulloa over the past six months or so, this will probably result in him throwing himself to the ground, arguing with the ref, and getting frustrated (to the detriment of his play?).
If Derby are to persist with this strategy, we need to develop alternative options. I'm scratching my head about what they are. The only one that I can think of -- and I can see problems with this too -- is to start with Dunk, hoping that we can find a way to get the ball to him, and then leave him to launch those precision exocets that he regaled us with against Yeovil.
Has anyone else got any thoughts on this?

Well there is a simple answer though I doubt it would go down too well...play Casper. Can't remember which game it was at the Amex ( the one where Kuz had an argument and stormed out of the ground :lolol:) recently but the difference in the quality of distribution from the keeper was MASSIVE.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Since the last games, Kuszczak's distribution to the full backs has significantly improved - there are far few passes caught by someone in Row C. Also the team is getting better at dealing with balls played to Leo. The nature of that style fo play means that a) he won't be able to control it every time and b) they won't always retain possession, but it's definitely improving.

Also "Top Kat" as a name makes me physically sick.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I recall the fantastic "offside" incident at the end of the Derby game last year when we managed to actually play almost their entire team offside in the dying seconds! Funniest thing I have ever seen at football.

Lmao you just reminded me of this moment, that was absolutely hilarious :lolol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well there is a simple answer though I doubt it would go down too well...play Casper. Can't remember which game it was at the Amex ( the one where Kuz had an argument and stormed out of the ground :lolol:) recently but the difference in the quality of distribution from the keeper was MASSIVE.

Your stark answer raises the issue of how big is the problem that I've identified.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A thread posted just to try to get people to use an invented nickname.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As I understand the way McLaren's got them playing they try and play the game in their opponents half either by pressing or through possession and quick movement and passing. When we do get the ball there may well be space behind them for Lua Lua, Buckley, March to exploit at pace if we can get the ball to them quickly enough.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Since the last games, Kuszczak's distribution to the full backs has significantly improved - there are far few passes caught by someone in Row C. Also the team is getting better at dealing with balls played to Leo. The nature of that style fo play means that a) he won't be able to control it every time and b) they won't always retain possession, but it's definitely improving.

Also "Top Kat" as a name makes me physically sick.

It makes no sense on so many levels. Is he Top Kat or Boss Kat ?

Do close friends get to call him TK ???

No, I'm not having that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here