Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Boiler and saving money

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
we had a new boiler installed one year ago, and had the yearly billing the saving over one year 71%.
yes 71% at the same time of the boiler installation(actually just before) we had new and added roof insulation and cavity wall insulation.
admittedly it was not a cold winter but we had the heating on from September until just a few weeks ago.

unbelievable

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
How much of that is the boiler and how much the insulation though?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
How much of that is the boiler and how much the insulation though?

good point
but I will say the boiler is in the garage and with the old one the garage was warmer than the house.
and the bungalow was warmer in the interim period but only just

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
we had a new boiler installed one year ago, and had the yearly billing the saving over one year 71%.
yes 71% at the same time of the boiler installation(actually just before) we had new and added roof insulation and cavity wall insulation.
admittedly it was not a cold winter but we had the heating on from September until just a few weeks ago.

unbelievable
THis did the very same thing 3 years ago and cant believe what a saving it has made

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
How much was the boiler to install? Was it combi or do you still have the water tank. Am considering a new boiler as there appear to be a few subsidies out there at the moment to lower the cost.

D

Deleted member 18477

I had a new boiler installed in 2013 as well. My monthly direct debits just keep getting cheaper and cheaper. They have more than halved. (And this includes electricity).

New combi boiler was £2500 to buy and install (I did get a bit of discount from local plumber though)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
How much was the boiler to install? Was it combi or do you still have the water tank. Am considering a new boiler as there appear to be a few subsidies out there at the moment to lower the cost.

we had it done on a grant due to many factors mostly the fact that the old one was 25+ years old and spent most of its energy and our money heating the garage

I had a new boiler installed in 2013 as well. My monthly direct debits just keep getting cheaper and cheaper. They have more than halved. (And this includes electricity).

New combi boiler was £2500 to buy and install (I did get a bit of discount from local plumber though)

and if you are unfortunate enough to have to pay there is your answer

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

It's called summer.:D

D

Deleted member 18477

It's called summer.:D

Installed early in 2013. Had it over a year. Had it on throughout the winter and even during that time it was still getting cheaper and cheaper...

clearly this will take time to pay for the boiler and installation cost but over time it will pay for itself. The old boiler I had was costing me a fortune.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Our boiler is 25+ years old so would be interested in grants that are available.
However to the point, I have resisted a new boiler because I reckon it would take about 8 to 10 years to recoup the outlay. Given that these combi boilers don't seem to last that long, not sure how good an investment it is.
Answers on a postcard please......

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Our boiler is 25+ years old so would be interested in grants that are available.
However to the point, I have resisted a new boiler because I reckon it would take about 8 to 10 years to recoup the outlay. Given that these combi boilers don't seem to last that long, not sure how good an investment it is.
Answers on a postcard please......

I am in exactly the same situation. I keep looking at the Governments Green Initiative but do not want to pay out £120 for a report.My boiler seems ok and I am reluctant to change it although I realise that I am paying more for my gas.Is it better to have Local plumber install it or have someone like British Gas?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
good point
but I will say the boiler is in the garage and with the old one the garage was warmer than the house.
and the bungalow was warmer in the interim period but only just

What sort of a boiler is the new one?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
What sort of a boiler is the new one?

ecoTEC plus (Valliant)
put in by Swale heating
they also put in thermostatic valves on all the radiators

you would have to apply to your energy supplier for the grant forms( it does seem like they are bending over backwards to give the grants as they rather ****ed up with loads of stuff and they are trying like mad to get back on side + the government love it as they can go to Europe and say they are doing their bit as far as conservation in concerned)
right now its a win ,win situation ..............but it cannot last long

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Trouble is the grants only apply if you are on benefits, and the others are just glorified loans. Not much use to those of us that don't receive benefits and don't earn enough to afford a loan.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Trouble is the grants only apply if you are on benefits, and the others are just glorified loans. Not much use to those of us that don't receive benefits and don't earn enough to afford a loan.

this is so
my other half gets the princely sum of 83p to make up her pension ..................but that 83p got us a brand new boiler
it was also not a question of us chasing the grant
it was offered to us as I said they are bending over backwards to find ways of getting you the grant

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Is true.

If you have average to good income, no point in even wasting your time in examining grants. You will have to pay 100% of the costs - no way round it.

The mildest ever recorded autumn, winter and spring explains much of the lower energy consumption. Mild and wet, but the rain is obviously irrelevant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here