Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What football laws would you like to be introduced or changed.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
We have so much to learn from rugby. In rugby players are treated on the pitch, so in certain areas of the pitch it should be possible in football.

The biggest difference between rugby and football seems to be the respect that the players give to the referee.
Perhaps someone who understands the rules of rugby could explain how it works.
Also how about an automatic yellow for shirt pulling.It seems hard to believe but shirt pulling did not used to exist until 30--40 years ago.it does not need to happen at all
In the last 5 years all this wrestling with corner kicks has now become a regular part of the game. I have no idea what can be done because they are all at it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No change needed to the rules just enforce the existing one if obstruction when a player shields the ball out for goal kick by stopping the attacker getting at it., usually by putting their arms out

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
An instant yellow card for any player grabbing the ball as he falls over.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Just crack down on dissent. Stop players blocking quick free kicks. And hammer the divers.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unlimited time added on for all time wasting including throw-ins taking ages and goalies titting around with goal kicks. With the 4th official having sole control for this calculation, properly policing this aspect, and having no qualms about awarding lengthy added time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Allow only the captain to speak to the ref
Sin bin for yellow card
Retrospectively allow divers to be banned

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Stopping a free kick being taken quickly by failing to retreat is very annoying and something refs rarely clamp down on.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Retrospective bans on diving/cheating.

FFP penalties that are bad enough for clubs to follow the guidelines

And generally refs being tougher on everything. Wouldn't take long to clear diving out the game if punishment was properly introduced

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Allow only the captain to speak to the ref
Sin bin for yellow card
Retrospectively allow divers to be banned

Yes.... The diving bit. I hate it.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
On the field, couldn't agree more with Edna on this one. Crack down on dissent, and ban the divers via video evidence if need be.

Off the field, very simple, introduce a maximum wage pool for each division.

Ie, Premier League clubs can only spend £xm a season on player wages and signing fees for the entire squad

and have a different level for each division, say £30 for prem, £10 mill for Championship, £4 mill for League 1 and say £2 for league two.

Make it a true level playing field, and cut back on TV money given to clubs (it only goes on wages), and plough it into grass roots football. Think what a local estate, or local boys club could do facilites wise with £200,000. All day floodlit pitches for kids and youngsters to play on all the price of certain premiership players weekly wage. Never know, if they done that maybe in 10 years time England would rule world football!

Whilst we may initially lose a lot of the "talent" to overseas clubs, long term I think the game will be better for it.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Allowing physio onto the pitch to treat injured players whilst play continues. No need to keep stopping the game for broken fingernails. I bet the physio would hardly ever come onto a pitch again if this was brought in. Rugby do it and I've never seen it interrupt a game.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Defenders clearly hoofing a ball in to row Z then claiming a throw.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Allow a tackle from behind

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I genuinely think that the powers to be who run the game in Uefa and FIFA enjoy the 'simulation' in the game and don't want it stopped. I mean why else do they let it continue like they do ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was suggested, some years ago, a time keeper and the clock stopped every time that play stopped or the ball went out of play but it was decided that a 90 minute game would take about 2.5 hours as now the average time the ball is in play is about 55 - 60 mins.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sin bins and similar attitude to dissent are the obvious ones. but what i'd really like to see is the existing rules actually applied properly and consistantly. fouls in the box "missed" that win a freekick anywhere else, obstruction apparently removed from the rulebook, last man/professional foul is too inconsistant given the punishment.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Id also introduce a rule something along the lines of:

Each MatchDay squad has to include 6 English players. Each staring 11 has to include 4 English players.

Each MatchDay squad has to include 3 players that have come from the clubs youth team. 1 of which has to start.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Id also introduce a rule something along the lines of:

Each MatchDay squad has to include 6 English players. Each staring 11 has to include 4 English players.

Each MatchDay squad has to include 3 players that have come from the clubs youth team. 1 of which has to start.

The 6 english players would only happen if we leave the EU.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here