Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley Release 11 players!

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
They have released 11 players including Gary Dicker and their fans favourite Sergio Torres, they're not trying to get into the championship are they?, imagine them in the same league as us :ohmy:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Maybe we can only judge this move in August when they sign 11 talented younger players on wages they can afford .... or not?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
They're flat broke. Relegation certainties for next year when Clarke and Proctor go.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
They have done well in recent years but I have a feeling that they may have plateaued in the first division.

I don't think their conference ground and crowd base is quite ready to support a higher league status.
They will do well to maintain their current level in the coming seasons.

PS - I hope Dicker finds a new club in the summer.

They've kept a strong "spine" though - their two strongest centre backs and their two best central midfielders - but granted Gregory will have a tough job next season keeping them up. They are not broke though, the situation is that their owners have retired to live in America and have been looking to sell the club for more than a year now, but so far no one is interested. Their budget is being trimmed but they are debt free - there are no creditors chasing them, so there is no imminent disaster coming, it's a well run club living within its means

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
they have made a lot of staff redundant, their manager says he'd prefer 20 players and 4 staff members.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Nearly all clubs in L1 , L2 and the Conf are facing up to the reality they cannot gamble signing players on longer term deals (3 years or more) because of the Salary Cost Management Protocol guidelines. At this level we are seeing the return of "journeyman" footballers.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Seems that the owners spent a fair bit of money getting them from Conference to League 1 and expected to sell the club at a tidy profit. This hasn't happened and they don't want to put any more money in. Would explain why they have made all non-essential staff redundant whilst keeping player costs to a minimum.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
imagine them in the same league as us :ohmy:

How ****ing arrogant is that statement?!?! They are in the division below us, a good season for them or a bad one for us and you might not have to imagine. It's not many moons ago that we would have been delighted with a mid table finish in the third division.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
How ****ing arrogant is that statement?!?! They are in the division below us, a good season for them or a bad one for us and you might not have to imagine. It's not many moons ago that we would have been delighted with a mid table finish in the third division.

Chill. Calm down. I apologise.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
John Gregory seems committed enough, and I don't think he's done that bad a job.

But next year is going to be a struggle for them. Yes, they'll replace the ones released, but whether they'll be able to replace them with equivalent quality remains to be seen.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The academy has closed as well. I believe the head coach of the academy is starting an academy with a scholarship at Ardingly College next season.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A lot of clubs are being forced to offer one season deals and let as many go as they can during the summer in order to save money.

It's not just Crawley by any means.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
They are not broke though, the situation is that their owners have retired to live in America and have been looking to sell the club for more than a year now, but so far no one is interested. Their budget is being trimmed but they are debt free - there are no creditors chasing them, so there is no imminent disaster coming, it's a well run club living within its means

Nah, you're right LI. Eleven players released and loads of redundancies, plus 4,000 average home crowds and owners who have pulled their investment means they are FLUSH with income.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
They've kept a strong "spine" though - their two strongest centre backs and their two best central midfielders - but granted Gregory will have a tough job next season keeping them up. They are not broke though, the situation is that their owners have retired to live in America and have been looking to sell the club for more than a year now, but so far no one is interested. Their budget is being trimmed but they are debt free - there are no creditors chasing them, so there is no imminent disaster coming, it's a well run club living within its means

The fact that they were under a transfer embargo for a month or so last summer, as they were transgressing the SCMP, suggests that might not be entirely accurate.

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014
The academy has closed as well. I believe the head coach of the academy is starting an academy with a scholarship at Ardingly College next season.
I believe it closed down because it was overrun by baboons - they had big teeth and long arms just like Suarez......................totally uncontrollable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here