Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Betting shop specialty bet advice (William Hills in Brighton)

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Presumably there are a few gambling types on here. Have you ever had a bet specially priced up for you in a bookies (on something they don't normally cover)?

The reason I ask is I follow a fast growing but very new sport called roller derby (basically teams of women on roller skates beating each other up) and Brighton are home to the top ranked English side Middlesbrough this Saturday.

I really want to get a bet on the game. I've spoken to a few bookies' customer services and William Hill were the most helpful. They say it's not something I can bet on it online (as it's not a sport they currently run markets on) but that I can go into a shop and request it, and they should be able to price it up for me.

I don't really know much about bookies shops. If you've had experience of this sort of thing (betting on something weird they don't normally cover), what would you say is the best way for me to go about it? And is there any particular William Hill in Brighton that you'd recommend I try first (eg the biggest or the one with the most helpful manager, etc) and any time of day that would be best to go in?

Thanks muchly.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Do you have some inside knowledge or something? Like one of the team has a large and angry lesbian friends who used to skate down LA seafront' coming in as a ringer?

Glad we made the play offs, as these sorts of threads will be 10 pagers come the summer.

Sheesh, the Addicks dude's season is over, and just two days later he's into female roller derby so much, he's looking for bookies to bet on it.

note to self: remember NSC is a bit wierd come the end of the season.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
My advise is tweet them. As an example @skybet often ask for ‘Any unquoted’ which is punters asking for prices on events that do not hold a book on. Normally this is football related along the lines of Hi Skybet, can you tell me the price for Steven Gerrard slipping on his arse and Chelsea scoring as a result please?

All bookies are on twitter and all are active to varying degrees. Paddy Power are probably your best bet. Coral and Skybet are also quite responsive.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Presumably there are a few gambling types on here. Have you ever had a bet specially priced up for you in a bookies (on something they don't normally cover)?

The reason I ask is I follow a fast growing but very new sport called roller derby (basically teams of women on roller skates beating each other up) and Brighton are home to the top ranked English side Middlesbrough this Saturday.

I really want to get a bet on the game. I've spoken to a few bookies' customer services and William Hill were the most helpful. They say it's not something I can bet on it online (as it's not a sport they currently run markets on) but that I can go into a shop and request it, and they should be able to price it up for me.

I don't really know much about bookies shops. If you've had experience of this sort of thing (betting on something weird they don't normally cover), what would you say is the best way for me to go about it? And is there any particular William Hill in Brighton that you'd recommend I try first (eg the biggest or the one with the most helpful manager, etc) and any time of day that would be best to go in?

Thanks muchly.

A friend of mine plays for the Brighton team. Plus I named the ale brewed in their honour!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
This thread really sounds like you know of a fix!

Seems odd to have got into a random sport and then really wish to bet on it. Not saying it is a fix, just that it could look like it!

I can imagine them looking into the suspicious betting patterns now all based off one £10 bet!

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
No it's not a fix - in fact I want to bet on both teams, so I will lose money regardless as I can't imagine they will give better than evens even for the favourites.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Some of those ladies could bulk up our midfield!! :eek:

This information is completely wrong. I work for William Hill. If someone requests a price on something not on the shop system, we phone our betting control in Leeds, if its not for horses, dogs or football the operator on the other end will simply go on the William Hill website, so if you've already looked and its not on there it's back to square one! It's a misconception that you can walk into a bookies and get a price on your son playing for England or on Moulscombe getting wiped out by a giant meteor. Bets that you read about in The Sun will all be placed be emailing customer services.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Betfair may listen as it puts gambler against gambler otherwise there is not enough in it and too much chance of getting turned over for a standard bookie to want to get involved

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
This information is completely wrong. I work for William Hill. If someone requests a price on something not on the shop system, we phone our betting control in Leeds, if its not for horses, dogs or football the operator on the other end will simply go on the William Hill website, so if you've already looked and its not on there it's back to square one! It's a misconception that you can walk into a bookies and get a price on your son playing for England or on Moulscombe getting wiped out by a giant meteor. Bets that you read about in The Sun will all be placed be emailing customer services.

Thanks for that. Someone at WH head office also told me I could go into any shop and request anything not available online (although he did just request, not that they would necessarily take the bet!). A mate of mine who works for WH reckons it should be possible but it would have be specially compiled for me, I'd need to bring in details of various rankings sources and score predictors for the sport (there are several online) and would take a day or two and involve me finding a very helpful shop manager who was prepared to make multiple calls to the price enquiry line.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
You must be new to the sport. In Roller Derby it's possible for both teams to win.

Have the Americans heard of this sport would suit them down to the ground

Thanks for that. Someone at WH head office also told me I could go into any shop and request anything not available online (although he did just request, not that they would necessarily take the bet!). A mate of mine who works for WH reckons it should be possible but it would have be specially compiled for me, I'd need to bring in details of various rankings sources and score predictors for the sport (there are several online) and would take a day or two and involve me finding a very helpful shop manager who was prepared to make multiple calls to the price enquiry line.

Again, I'm still not convinced, in my 25 years with William Hill, I have never succeeded in getting them to take a bet based on form/information given over the phone.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I can't stand the Americanisation of our language; "specialty" included. Whatever happened to 'speciality'?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here