Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man City fined £50m for FFP

Breaking on Sky News, their sources

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seems a bit perverse, doesn't it, that you dole out huge fines to minted teams.... for overspending?
If they make £50m stick, then fair play, I take my hat off.

Any idea where the £50m goes? (lawyers and backhanders I presume).

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
And guess who's going to end up baring the brunt of the fine? The shareholders...oh wait no that's not right, it'll be the fans won't it?

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
"Manchester City are facing Uefa sanctions for breaching financial fair play rules which would see the club limited to a 21-man Champions League squad instead of the usual 25 players next season, Press Association Sport is reporting.

City, who are still strongly challenging the settlement offer from Uefa, are also facing a fine in the region of £49m over three years, and a cap imposed for next season to ensure there is no rise on this season's Champions League squad wage bill. The reduction in the size of the Champions League squad to 21 would potentially hit the club hardest, and City would also have to ensure that there are still eight locally-trained players in that A squad.

City have until the end of the week to reach an agreement with Uefa over the sanctions."

So i'm guessing the 'fine' would be a reduction in their TV revenue assuming they qualify. The squad restriction is the best move, good move on that front if it sticks.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Isn't the money supposed to go to charity ? It would be great if a large chunk of these fines, could be invested in grass roots football in this country. Anyone who has experienced months on end of postponed junior league games, or the pleasures of municipal changing facilities, will know how welcome a cash injection would be.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Isn't the money supposed to go to charity ? It would be great if a large chunk of these fines, could be invested in grass roots football in this country. Anyone who has experienced months on end of postponed junior league games, or the pleasures of municipal changing facilities, will know how welcome a cash injection would be.

No, that is the Football Leagues FFP, Man City are subject to EUFA FFP rules, completely different system as I understand it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Someone has to pay for the likes of Platini et al but suspect it wont be Man City just yet as the lawyers will make hay from countless legal challenges.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't want to offend any of our local legal bods, but I ****ing hate lawyers. I mean, I really, really ****ing hate them.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
They will pay 50M but earn another 70M than they would if came 6th/7th and spent within means by time extra fans buy extra merch worldwide on top of all the extra direct revenues.

If I steal £70 from you and pay you back £50 but get no other punishment is that fair?

plus someone else fails to get the Champs League spot and title they unfairly get

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
They will pay 50M but earn another 70M than they would if came 6th/7th and spent within means by time extra fans buy extra merch worldwide on top of all the extra direct revenues.

If I steal £70 from you and pay you back £50 but get no other punishment is that fair?

plus someone else fails to get the Champs League spot and title they unfairly get

It's not so much a punnishment though, it's saying if you can afford to throw money away, you can also give £50m to good causes.

I think it is more important to know how and where this money is spent rather than thinking of it soley as a fine to hurt a club, as it is distributing funding to where it is needed.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
FFP

Man City to be fined 50 million with Champions League squad restricted to 21 players following breach of FFP.

Seems the authorities were serious after all

Source: Sky News

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here