Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are folk seemingly negative about us going up to the Prem?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Frankly, I'm a bit sick of hearing people say that it is too soon for us to go up to the Prem and that we will be a laughing stock and go straight back down.
With Oscar on board, I say let's go. Look at Swansea. Look at Norwich. Look at Palarse for goodness sake.
We are a big team now, we have massive gates, we have the youth academy on the way. We deserve to be in the Prem. Bring it on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That will be the Norwich about to relegated.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
We are not a big team and we dont deserve to be there. Not yet

However I am with you on the bring it on front. I don't think we would be too horrendous, and would probably come back down again, but the financial stability it would bring woul dbe great and would put us on a great footing to go up again in a few years and try and stay there

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Frankly, I'm a bit sick of hearing people say that it is too soon for us to go up to the Prem and that we will be a laughing stock and go straight back down.
With Oscar on board, I say let's go. Look at Swansea. Look at Norwich. Look at Palarse for goodness sake.
We are a big team now, we have massive gates, we have the youth academy on the way. We deserve to be in the Prem. Bring it on.

Who is saying that ? Heard nothing myself.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
The Norwich going down this season, and the Swansea going down next season...

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
We're not there yet, we have 3 games to win before we say we are in the prem!

:ffsparr:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Don't want us there, rather see us in the championship playing decent (hopefully in time!) football competitively. Not having to park the bus for 10 home games a season and hoping to snatch points from the rest whilst paying an arm and a leg to watch us hopefully not lose away every other week.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Let's get there first.

Then it's another challenge, which I think the club will do everything it can to overcome.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Agree, this year is the same as the previous 5 in that only 1 of the 3 promoted teams has been instantly relegated...I have no doubt that TB will make substantial funds available to ensure we are not the '1'

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
You could say the same about Palace last season - possibly one of the worst teams recently to gain promotion, down to teams handing them wins on a plate in the play-offs. Yet they have stayed up. If they can, there is no reason why we cant.

Personally, Id say were in the same position Swansea were a few years ago - they were in the Championship for 3 seasons before promotion too, they had a manager change in the Summer before going up too (South American Paulo Sousa sacked and replaced by a rather inexperienced Brendan Rodgers - sound familar ?)

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Don't want us there, rather see us in the championship playing decent (hopefully in time!) football competitively. Not having to park the bus for 10 home games a season and hoping to snatch points from the rest whilst paying an arm and a leg to watch us hopefully not lose away every other week.

And before someone starts, being HAPPY where we are doesn't make me negative. :bigwave:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
On the plus side, we will earn millions in extra revenue

On the minus side, our current squad will need quite a few additions to even compete, which will cost several millions

The board would probably prefer to be near the top of the Championship, than near the bottom of the Premiership

It is a business after all

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Yes, I know what you're saying, and I wouldn't be unhappy to build on what we now have and take The Championship by storm next season. But that said we still need to go for it with this present opportunity, let's face it 100 million in the fighting fund (well spent) might be useful. Besides we'd have to make that step up sometime. :)

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Yes, I know what you're saying, and I wouldn't be unhappy to build on what we now have and take The Championship by storm next season. But that said we still need to go for it with this present opportunity, let's face it 100 million in the fighting fund (well spent) might be useful. Besides we'd have to make that step up sometime. :)

Yeh but if we were to go up would it ever change? What teams in the Prem do well and survive without massive outside investment? Palace obviously but how will they cope in their second season? Maybe Stoke? Swansea but they've not had a great year have they? Look beyond that and it's either teams getting gates 2-3 times what we can achieve or teams with massive money behind them. Even if we do go up we're always going to be ultimately struggling with a target of doing little more than staying up.

Look at the cash a team like Fulham have spent and they will be slumming it in the Championship next year, with Bloom at the helm we'd never be able to invest to the point where we'd be able to push on up the league and try to break the top 7.

Dec 29, 2011
The board would probably prefer to be near the top of the Championship, than near the bottom of the Premiership

It is a business after all

I've seen some bizarre thoughts posted before, this must be one of them. Selling out every week, getting more TV coverage, having higher quality football. I can think of a single reason the board would prefer to be top of the Championship rather than the bottom of the Premier League

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here