Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5 years from now

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
Whatever happens over the next week, it's fair to say that we are now an established top championship side. That is massive progress from where we were 5 years ago. So where do you think we will be 5 years from now?

For what it's worth, I think we will be a Premier League team that won't yet threaten the top 10 but are not favourites for relegation either. We might get turned over once or twice a season, but will also win the odd game against one of the 'top sides'. And a long cup run always a possibility. (Sad to say, just where Palace will probably be next season!)

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
I have no idea. I think next few seasons we might go up and get investment put into us and if we stay up who knows? Where ever we are Brighton til we die. :ascarf:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I started one of these threads in November 2009. Makes interesting reading and will bump it when due in a few months time.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have no idea. I think next few seasons we might go up and get investment put into us and if we stay up who knows? Where ever we are Brighton til we die. :ascarf:
Yeah, who knows where we'll be? I've said before; in 1979 at the height of the 'Glory Years' the train back from Newcastle went past Withdean stadium. On that euphoric day I could not have possibly believed that twenty years later Withdean Stadium would be our home ground and we'd be back in the fourth division playing in front of crowds of 5500. And we'd be pleased because actually that represented progress!

Just enjoy the moment, heaven knows they don't come round that often, so que sera sera. (We'll probably get thrashed by Derby, the recriminations will continue all summer and next season we'll finish mid-table!)

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
If you are a smaller club, with a smaller squad, European qualification or even just a long cup run just cripples you. All those extra games can be a bad thing. If we ever went up, I'd want us to get established in the top flight and be a mainstay a long time before Europe.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Five years time..... posters on here will be reminding everyone where we come from 10 years ago!

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Perhaps a yo yo club which would be quite good. If you are someone like Stoke you are in the middle of the Premier with no chance of winning the league.If you are a yo yo club at least you get the thrills of promotion every now and again.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Who knows? Fot forty years we were a third division club. After bouncing about through the 60's and 70's, by the mid 80's to the early 90's I thought we were finally established as a second division* outfit (apart from the 1987 glitch, quickly remedied). How wrong that was!

* For younger users, second division is the same as the Championship.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
It's amazing when you think back to that day at Hereford, playing at the priestfield, then playing for so long at an athletics track.
Now we're just 3 wins away from a place in the top league in world, a fantastic stadium which won loads of awards and a magnificent training facility just on the horizon.

It's hard to believe the transformation, you have to pinch yourself sometimes

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Yeah, who knows where we'll be? I've said before; in 1979 at the height of the 'Glory Years' the train back from Newcastle went past Withdean stadium. On that euphoric day I could not have possibly believed that twenty years later Withdean Stadium would be our home ground and we'd be back in the fourth division playing in front of crowds of 5500. And we'd be pleased because actually that represented progress!

Just enjoy the moment, heaven knows they don't come round that often, so que sera sera. (We'll probably get thrashed by Derby, the recriminations will continue all summer and next season we'll finish mid-table!)

You make a very good point, the Amex would not be a happy home in say the first division as a result of one year at the top table,we have a hell of a lot to lose now and this situation could also lose us our chairman who has done so much for our club.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008

Agree with the broad thrust of this post. However, in retrospect our progress in the latest 70s and early 80s lacked the firm foundations (literally) that we now have. The quality of infrastructure that is now in place gives the club a much more sustainable future, albeit no guarantee of success. Time may prove me wrong, but I suspect our next 30 years will be happier than the last 30.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
The Academy, Stadium, and FFP all nearly ensure that we are heading one way.......upwards......that may mean being a top 10 championship side for a few more years.....but sooner or later (as the other clubs have more trouble with money and youth being pinched) - our season of promotion will come.

I fancy us against Derby, but Wigan or QPR in the final i really don't fancy.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Whatever happens over the next week, it's fair to say that we are now an established top championship side. That is massive progress from where we were 5 years ago. So where do you think we will be 5 years from now?

For what it's worth, I think we will be a Premier League team that won't yet threaten the top 10 but are not favourites for relegation either. We might get turned over once or twice a season, but will also win the odd game against one of the 'top sides'. And a long cup run always a possibility. (Sad to say, just where Palace will probably be next season!)

Are you Derek Acorah? if so will I still be a virgin in 5 years from now?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Your second paragraph was 100% accurate. Thrashed by Derby, Oscar's resignation, Hyppia's hopelessness, Nathan's rescue games, & Chris Hughton's safety mid-table finish.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Since when did a Premier League team not threatening the top 10 not be one of the favourites for relegation ?

If a team doesn't challenge for the top half it's one of those who might be going down.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Your second paragraph was 100% accurate. Thrashed by Derby, Oscar's resignation, Hyppia's hopelessness, Nathan's rescue games, & Chris Hughton's safety mid-table finish.
I'd hardly call 20th. in 2014-2015 'safety mid-table' - 20th, with only 2 points from the last 7 games, and the only reason we weren't 21st. was because Rotherham were deducted points!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are we about to, or have we peaked? This journey can’t keep going like it has over the last five years....can it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here