Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train help again. Please

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The wife and I are going up to London on the 1st August returning the next day.
Now everything I have read about train tickets is book early.
Ive tried to book early but it's still just as expensive.
Also read best to buy advance tickets as singles as its cheaper.

Tried every which way, spotted hanky, train line, but still the cheapest is still £63 ish going up to way over £100.

Does this sound right I thought advance tickets to London were circa £5-10 ?
For clarity, I'm booking two adult tickets, to London, station any ,no railcard, with unground leaving 9.30 ish on the Friday and want to return 5-6 ish on the Saturday.
Appreciate the help of all you train ticket guru's

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Tried every which way, spotted hanky, train line, but still the cheapest is still £63 ish going up to way over £100.

For clarity, I'm booking two adult tickets, to London, station any ,no railcard, with unground leaving 9.30 ish on the Friday and want to return 5-6 ish on the Saturday.

It is too far in advance. They do not release the cheap tickets until around two months before. Just keep checking and you will get the cheap fares eventually.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Advance tickets are only available 12 weeks in advance. As you're trying to book for August, they won't appear yet. Cool your jets! :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The cheapest tickets go on sale something like two & a half to three months before the travel date (I know this because when I looked at tickets to Nottingham back in about January, they were quoting me around £100 rtn, whereas I paid closer to forty, first class, three months later).

I imagine you'll almost certainly find it cheaper to buy two singles, one for each day, than an overnight return. Wouldn't worry too much about it yet- you're looking at about a tenner each way tops even if you book the day before, so I can't see a long advance purchase date saving you all that much cash anyway?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You could perhaps get a better deal on a Bigbus.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

I was in the same position as you, we had tickets for Rick Wakeman at the Royal Albert Hall last Weds but I started looking for cheap rail tickets about 3 months in advance and was getting quoted the same sort of prices as you were. Waited until 8 weeks before we were due to go and paid £10 each for 2 return tickets.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Not the train as such, but if you go on the National Express Coaches site, they are currently showing buses from Brighton (Pool Valley / various stops throughout town) to Victoria Coach Station for 1st August as £5 per person, and the same price for the return journey. Good, reliable, comfortable service (I use it all the time to get to Gatwick in the wee small hours when the trains aren't running, as do many Brighton-based airport workers) and its cheap as chips! :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here