Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is a life sentence?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27280228

How can someone serve a minimum of eight year for 13 life sentences? Can anyone clear this up for me?

I believe a 'life sentence' means for the rest of your life you are beholden to prison services, even if you are released from prison you have to spend the rest of your life checking in with parole officers, and live your free life under certain restrictions, which if you don't abide to will see you back in prison.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Life imprisonment is a sentence which lasts until the death of the prisoner, although in most cases the prisoner will be eligible for parole (officially termed "early release") after a fixed period set by the judge. This period is known as the "minimum term" (previously known as the "tariff"). In some exceptionally grave cases however, a judge may order that a life sentence should mean life by making a "whole life order."

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Its not life if they don't serve life inside which is the case in most sentences! It should be called a 10% life sentence

Dec 29, 2011
I believe a 'life sentence' means for the rest of your life you are beholden to prison services, even if you are released from prison you have to spend the rest of your life checking in with parole officers, and live your free life under certain restrictions, which if you don't abide to will see you back in prison.

Life imprisonment is a sentence which lasts until the death of the prisoner, although in most cases the prisoner will be eligible for parole (officially termed "early release") after a fixed period set by the judge. This period is known as the "minimum term" (previously known as the "tariff"). In some exceptionally grave cases however, a judge may order that a life sentence should mean life by making a "whole life order."

Thanks, good explanations. If a life sentence = full life reporting to parole officers or whatever, surely one would suffice as it carries the same consequence as eight. Although eight life sentences (taken in the literal meaning) does seem a little harsh for his offenses.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
The biggest problem is 'concurrent' sentences. If the offences were committed concurrently then maybe a concurrent sentence would be appropriate. Otherwise, consecutive sentences would make me much happier (although I doubt the Courts give a flying farq about how I feel).

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Its not life if they don't serve life inside which is the case in most sentences! It should be called a 10% life sentence

It's not 'life' unless you get thrown in prison as soon as you are born.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I normally keep out of these kind of threads but on this occasion I do have to agree with those saying that a man with his string of offenses and who is apparently still a danger to the public shouldn't have been in an open prison.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I understand that he committed the offences within three weeks of completing a previous prison spell,yet he is let out without any system of tracking him down,lets hope is is back inside soon without any chance of another release.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Enough said.....

2014-05-05-21-20-39--1025225298.jpeg

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here