Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One reason why we don't have enough decent referee's

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
They all quit,

"The player's team, Torre, has now withdrawn from the South Devon Football League following the abandonment of the match against Ashburton Reserves."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-27274873

_74634930_2014-05-03_16.16.06.jpg

Dec 29, 2011
Mr Aylett said the club strongly apologises for Saturday's attack and the club did not condone the player's actions.

He said: "The club has withdrawn from the league because of this and it will fold.

Hope they find & charge the culprit. Disgusting injuries.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Mr Aylett said the club strongly apologises for Saturday's attack and the club did not condone the player's actions.

He said: "The club has withdrawn from the league because of this and it will fold.

"I'm getting lots of grief on football forums but this is one incident by a player who has let the whole league system down."

He shouldn't have been playing at all, Mr Aylett.

Jamie Aylett, Torre manager, confirmed the player had used another name to play in Saturday's match after he had been sent off in a match on Thursday

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
What an absolute disgrace. Are the team trying to claim they did not know it was the same player playing under a different name? At least the article does not say the ref is quitting - huge respect to him if he carries on. But the point remains, verbal abuse is enough for may refs to quit but this is ridiculous.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Appalling, the player will be Sine Die but if anything the attitude of the Manager is even worse, selecting a banned player and now stepping aside and blaming the player and not himself. He should be banned and, if at all possible, prosecuted. Hopefully his future life contacts and employers will all recall this dishonesty

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Appalling, the player will be Sine Die but if anything the attitude of the Manager is even worse, selecting a banned player and now stepping aside and blaming the player and not himself. He should be banned and, if at all possible, prosecuted. Hopefully his future life contacts and employers will all recall this dishonesty

this happens on a sunday quite regulary

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hope the player gets a short spell inside. Attacking a ref for a questionable decision in a game is as bad as an unprovoked attack.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When a players is suspended by a county association they inform the neighbour associations ie Susse would advise Hampshire Kent and Surrey but it is easy for players to register under a different name. When I was on Surrey FA , 18 yearx ago the FA wanted us to try out identity cards that had to be carried for every game and withdrawn when suspended but the idea was scrapped then because small local clubs objected. Their argument was that local league players had trouble remembering where they were playing and bringing their boots and kit so they would never remember cards. My view was that it should be brought in and if the ref checked the cards and refused to allow a player to play they woud soon adapt and bring the card with them.

Not sure if it has been tried by another county association.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
What an absolute disgrace. Are the team trying to claim they did not know it was the same player playing under a different name? At least the article does not say the ref is quitting - huge respect to him if he carries on. But the point remains, verbal abuse is enough for may refs to quit but this is ridiculous.

A linked article sadly suggests otherwise
'My last game' says referee punched by player in Torre v Ashburton match
By HEPaulGreaves | Posted: May 04, 2014

A REFEREE who was punched by a player during a match in Ashburton says the game will probably be his last.

Donald Distin, 49, was officiating an amateur football match between Torre FC and Ashburton FC Reserves when he was felled by a single punch.

Read more: http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co....tory-21055526-detail/story.html#ixzz30pVZsz6T

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I referee youth football, and it's embarrassing how people act. The players are usually alright, but the parents sometimes get right in your face. If I didn't get paid for it, there is no way I would continue it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure why someone would facepalm a suggestion someone should go to prison for assault!!!

It would be interesting to know for offence the player was sent off in the previous game? Also, agree that the manager needs a lifetime ban from football as he would have known the player was using a false name!

With regard to using 'ringers' the solution would be id cards. I manager a girls U10 team and they all have to have id cards which are checked by the opposition manager before each game. Obviously this is more to do with making sure someone doesn't play an overage player but the same system could apply to adult football.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

It starts at the top, there should be no abuse of a referee at all, verbal or physical, zero tolerance and this should be shown in the premiership. Its not seen in Rugby, Hockey, Cycling, Boxing, NFL.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Can he be arrested, that's just disgraceful!

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Not sure why someone would facepalm a suggestion someone should go to prison for assault!!!
I assumed the facepalm was because the previous post implied a 'questionable decision' was some form of provocation. It's not 'as bad as an unprovoked attack', it's an unprovoked attack.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
When a players is suspended by a county association they inform the neighbour associations ie Susse would advise Hampshire Kent and Surrey but it is easy for players to register under a different name. When I was on Surrey FA , 18 yearx ago the FA wanted us to try out identity cards that had to be carried for every game and withdrawn when suspended but the idea was scrapped then because small local clubs objected. Their argument was that local league players had trouble remembering where they were playing and bringing their boots and kit so they would never remember cards. My view was that it should be brought in and if the ref checked the cards and refused to allow a player to play they woud soon adapt and bring the card with them.

Not sure if it has been tried by another county association.

Leave them all with the coaching staff/secretary would be the obvious solution.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Leave them all with the coaching staff/secretary would be the obvious solution.

When I acted as club linesman to a team in France, I as well as the players had to have a photo ID card which was checked by the match referee before kick off against the team sheet. The cards were kept by the club manager. Incidentally for those who play. the registration form had to be counter signed by the player's GP as to his fitness to play. This rule applied to all physical sports not just football.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here