Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The last time we were in the top flight. Memories. 1982.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am now very confident we will be playing with the Big Boys next season. 32 years of hurt is about to end. I just feel it. The last time we were in the top league I barely needed a shaver, was going to the Pink Coconut and dancing to ABC's the Look of Love. BRING IT ON !
Who was there the last time ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg6J5VT5VRM

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Please yourself !

Do you mean in the video or supporting the Albion? I started supporting in the last few months in Division 1 (v Watford New Year '83 was my first game) and was there at the end v Man. City when the drop was confirmed. I too have a good feeling but perhaps it is just desperation. I would love to take Youngest Potting to Wembley to see them win.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have been hoping for 30 plus years my team might make it again in my lifetime. I hope so, this time.

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
I am now very confident we will be playing with the Big Boys next season. 32 years of hurt is about to end. I just feel it. The last time we were in the top league I barely needed a shaver, was going to the Pink Coconut and dancing to ABC's the Look of Love. BRING IT ON !
Who was there the last time ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg6J5VT5VRM

Lol I remember going to see ABC at Hammersmith Odeon as a student in 1981 or 82.
I also remember the moment we gained promotion to Div 1 - I was travelling back from Dieppe to Newhaven on the ferry and the captain announced over the tannoy that Brighton had been promoted and a cheer went up, I guess he was a Brighton supporter!

As regards this year, I am confident we will beat Derby over the two legs. I think the home leg will be a cagey 0-0 and we will nick it 1-0 at their place.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lol I remember going to see ABC at Hammersmith Odeon as a student in 1981 or 82.
I also remember the moment we gained promotion to Div 1 - I was travelling back from Dieppe to Newhaven on the ferry and the captain announced over the tannoy that Brighton had been promoted and a cheer went up, I guess he was a Brighton supporter!

As regards this year, I am confident we will beat Derby over the two legs. I think the home leg will be a cagey 0-0 and we will nick it 1-0 at their place.

I have been undecided about Garcia. He showed a different side yesterday, missing all season when he went Apeshit at the end. Warmed to me a lot. Lovely to see the passion.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Garcia yesterday was a gamechanger. He made me love him. I wanted to see this all season and finally it came out. My memories will be of Garcia going loopy at the end. This made me feel we are all in it together. I now think we have every bloody chance in the play offs and just because I have been lukewarm to the management team does not mean I do not with every sinew in my body want us to go up. And this thread was just one of memories from 1982 when we were last there.

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
I think we have a great chance of going all the way this year (unlike the bookies who make us 3/1 outsiders). Derby clinched their play-off spot a while ago and I think they may be be complacent, whilst we crept in at the last minute and will hopefully have the momentum to carry us forward to the final. Whilst the semis are more strategic, the final is a one-off encounter which can easily go either way.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Uncle Spielberg, on Facebook, late April 2014:

"The best thing that can happen is that Garcia & Jones leave in the summer and we can get in a manager with some enthusiasm and belief. Garcia is not that man".

Also:

"My Goldfish has more passion & personality than Garcia. The bloke is just dull. Lets get rid in the summer and get someone in with passion in his belly"

:bowdown:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yes, I was there, barely needed a shaver watching The Cure at the Dome and never stepping foot in the Pink Coconut, thank goodness. Lots of good memories of that time, the Liverpool games, Ward scoring against Man U, Norwich quarter final, first game against Arsenal in 79 etc etc. A young lady called Paula.....

However, I do not need to see a man jump up and down when we score to show me that he is a good coach, but that's just me. Will we get there this time, who knows, but I will enjoy the ride anyway.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have been undecided about Garcia. He showed a different side yesterday, missing all season when he went Apeshit at the end. Warmed to me a lot. Lovely to see the passion.

Very pleased to see the passion in the man, finally. He, and the team, have met my expectations by qualifying for the play offs in spite of the dull football we persist in playing. As mentioned elsewhere, look what just one quality cross can achieve.

About the same age as you US, and have been waiting a long time to get back to where my heart feels that we belong, even if my head understands why we have not been with the elite all this time. Will we go up this season? I don't know. But I am confident we will within a few years.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
WHEN we go up I hope I enjoy it more than I did for most of the time we were in the top division last time. We had a few standout results but for the most part we were quite dull to watch and were normally beaten. Getting there was much more enjoyable than being there for me :shrug:

Those of you who find Oscar's team boring should have seen a few of the games under Bailey...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Garcia yesterday was a gamechanger. He made me love him. I wanted to see this all season and finally it came out. My memories will be of Garcia going loopy at the end. This made me feel we are all in it together. I now think we have every bloody chance in the play offs and just because I have been lukewarm to the management team does not mean I do not with every sinew in my body want us to go up. And this thread was just one of memories from 1982 when we were last there.

Nothing changed but your perceptions.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Uncle Spielberg, on Facebook, late April 2014:

"The best thing that can happen is that Garcia & Jones leave in the summer and we can get in a manager with some enthusiasm and belief. Garcia is not that man".

Also:

"My Goldfish has more passion & personality than Garcia. The bloke is just dull. Lets get rid in the summer and get someone in with passion in his belly"

:bowdown:

and ? If you read my comments you would see I said yesterday changed my perception of him, also not very good form to post comments made on fb between friends on other forums imo. Just my opinion.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Have you forgotten about 1983?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here