Votes: 1 4.8%
  • any other suggestions

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What's the best way to determine position when points level?

Lorra lorra laughs!!!!

Liverpool fan on 5Live berating the fact that the title likely to be decided on goal difference and believes head to head should be used. Bet if the tables were turned he wouldn't be arguing that! I know there are merits to the head to head but everyone knew the rules at the start. Besides, they both beat each other on their own patch. Could argue that Liverpool scored more but then again could equally argue that Man City scored two away goals to Liverpools one.

So, if NSC could change the rule for next year, what would it be?

1. As it is, Goal difference followed by goals scored and then play-off.
2. Reintroduce Goal Average. Older participants will remember this and younger ones will have to look it up.
3. Head to head, Goals Difference then Goals Scored then play-off.
4. Head to Head then play-off
5 Straight play-off
6 any other suggestions?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
They'll fail to beat palace and it will be irrelevant anyway.
Goal difference. Head to head is particularly poor as it rewards effort in two specific games rather than over the course of the year. Imagine if one team had a GD of +30 and missed out to a team with +5.
My issue is with GD being identical, the next differentiator is goals scored! Clearly it should be clean sheets or some other form of defensive accolade. That'd be a benefit to us.

Actually, I've changed my mind. It should be highest average home attendance. Yep, that's the one.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004

Lorra lorra laughs!!!!

Liverpool fan on 5Live berating the fact that the title likely to be decided on goal difference and believes head to head should be used. Bet if the tables were turned he wouldn't be arguing that! I know there are merits to the head to head but everyone knew the rules at the start. Besides, they both beat each other on their own patch. Could argue that Liverpool scored more but then again could equally argue that Man City scored two away goals to Liverpools one.

2. Reintroduce Goal Average. Older participants will remember this and younger ones will have to look it up.

Personally I think if 2 teams have the same points at the top of the league then they should play each other in a one-off decider.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Lorra lorra laughs!!!!

4. Head to Head then play-off
5 Straight play-off
6 any other suggestions?

Possibly 'matches won'. Rewards attacking football.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I like...
GD
Goals for
Goals against
WLD record

Then I'm unsure whether to say away win record or a playoff game.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The correct answer is goals scored. The method that meant Hereford were relegated and not us.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The Scousers can phone up 606 all they like.

Truth is, Gerrard chucked the title away last weekend. Beautiful.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Goal difference
Goals scored
Goal average
Number of pies sold at home games

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Why not throw in fewest bookings, sending-offs, lower average of players used, most players eligible for England.

The main thing is that is understood at the start of the season, goal difference was introduced to reward attacking football on the basis that a 4-1 win should be worth more than a 1-0 win, which under the old goal average rule, the 1-0 win was the better.

I would stick with the existing format it is well understood and is probably the fairest way.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here