Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Players are Out of Contract Over the Summer?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Looking ahead to the pre-season break, which players do you reckon we'll lose or manage to keep hold of? Of course it depends on our progress in the play-offs, but if the worst comes to the worst and we remain in the Championship, who is most likely to leave, and who should we be looking to replace them with?

I'm always a big advocate of bringing in fresh talent from the development squad, but if we lose some of our more experienced players (like Upson), how will that affect us?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Out of contract:
Kuszczak
Ankergren
Brezovan
Calderon
Bruno
Upson
Orlandi
Lopez
LuaLua
Hoskins
Rodriguez

If we stay in the Championship, I can see us offering new deals to more or less all of them - with the exception of TK who is blatantly walking, one of the other keepers (retaining one as a number 2) and one out of Hoskins or Rodriguez. If we go up, I'd be surprised if we offered deals to anyone from that list other than Bruno, Upson, and at a long shot Orlandi, who I think could all still be good enough in the Prem to at least function as back-up. Kaz is an interesting one - on his day he is unplayable, but in the Prem, full-backs are so much cleverer and the vast majority are rapid as well. I think he would get found out against the top guys.

In the summer if we stay down I think we'll be looking for a new No1 (with Walton stepping up as No2 or 3), a left-back, at least one if not two wingers, a creative midfielder and a striker. We're well-stocked in central midfield and a central 3 of Crofts/Stephens/Orlandi would be more than good enough in this division.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Out of contract:
Kuszczak
Ankergren
Brezovan
Calderon
Bruno
Upson
Orlandi
Lopez
LuaLua
Hoskins
Rodriguez

If we stay in the Championship, I can see us offering new deals to more or less all of them - with the exception of TK who is blatantly walking, one of the other keepers (retaining one as a number 2) and one out of Hoskins or Rodriguez. If we go up, I'd be surprised if we offered deals to anyone from that list other than Bruno, Upson, and at a long shot Orlandi, who I think could all still be good enough in the Prem to at least function as back-up. Kaz is an interesting one - on his day he is unplayable, but in the Prem, full-backs are so much cleverer and the vast majority are rapid as well. I think he would get found out against the top guys.

In the summer if we stay down I think we'll be looking for a new No1 (with Walton stepping up as No2 or 3), a left-back, at least one if not two wingers, a creative midfielder and a striker. We're well-stocked in central midfield and a central 3 of Crofts/Stephens/Orlandi would be more than good enough in this division.

We will offer a new contract to Lua Lua no matter what division we are in. He is under 24 so therefore providing we've offered him terms at least as good as what he is currently we will be entitled to compensation if he chooses to go somewhere else.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Sticky's just don't work, do they!

We've trained ourselves to ignore them. The only time I notice them is when there aren't any there for me to ignore.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
We will offer a new contract to Lua Lua no matter what division we are in. He is under 24 so therefore providing we've offered him terms at least as good as what he is currently we will be entitled to compensation if he chooses to go somewhere else.

I THINK we have an option on his contract so he's stuck here assuming we take it up. Will be on same terms as current.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here