Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa - a conundrum

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Yesterday, a case in point

Did little for most of the game and deserved to come off, but you always think that if a chance comes, he'll be there to stick it away

More generally, he hasn't had many really good games this year (Leics away the only one I can think of)

I'd start him against Derby but play CMS instead of Lingaard.

It points more to the fact that he doesn't get enough decent crosses from our wide players

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

Did little for most of the game and deserved to come off, but you always think that if a chance comes, he'll be there to stick it away

More generally, he hasn't had many really good games this year (Leics away the only one I can think of)

pretty sure , if fit, he has to start as part of loan deal ?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Difficult decision forOscar. By performance Ulloa ought to have been taken off but he was always more likely to score than Buckley.

I would have Lualua for Lingard and send Lingard back. At least for the home match. Mackail-Smith I want on the bench.

For the away match with the possibility of extra time, I might not start Lualua.

Last edited:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Difficult decision forOscar. By performance Ulloa ought to have been taken off but he was always more likely to score than Buckley.

I would have Lualua for Lingard and send Lingard back. At least for the home match. Mackail-Smith I want on the bench.

Fir the away match with the possibility of extra time, I might not start Lualua.

Why on earth would you send him back? So what do you do if lua lua and Buckley get injured?

Always wonder what goes through your head sometimes.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Orlandi and Buckley are the two that need dropping, bloody lightweight pussies both of them. Not sure they are the sort of players you want in a blood and guts atmosphere of the play offs.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Orlandi and Buckley are the two that need dropping, bloody lightweight pussies both of them. Not sure they are the sort of players you want in a blood and guts atmosphere of the play offs.

this is the moment for Agustein.......Oscar's been saving him.......

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
Start Ulloa, CMS and Lua Lua starting for once. Maybe sub on Lingard if it's not going well?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

I agree, he needs the service and CMS provided that yesterday.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Ulloa has to start and is more likely to get decent crosses/passes from Lingard, March and Orlandi (and Ward) imo. Buckley was disappointing yesterday I thought. Keep Lua Lua and CMS for the second half. Would hope that Stephens is fit as JFC is not in his class yet and a bit lighweight, but then if Oscar starts with Andrews and Ince, people will scream that he is being too defensive!

Having said all that, I don't like changing a winning team!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You've now guaranteed either of them to score against Derby.

Stumpy Tim

I would start Buckley on the right & Orlandi on the left, with Lingard (and Stephens or Ince) in the centre. Orlandi simply can't play in the middle, but he's the one player who can deliver quality crosses regularly.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think Ulloa's problem has been a lack of crosses this season. I think the problem has been not enough support in the box. Too often he is alone in the box and a cross is fired in. The problem then is the cross needs a perfection that isn't that common enough in the Championship to rely on and players that can put in good crosses regularly tend to have weaknesses in other areas (such as Lopez).

If we had more men getting into the box, the defenders have to mark more than one person, they can't just double up on Ulloa (as they have frequently been able to do), crowd him out and easily deal with any cross that is close to good, also if we have more men in the box, the cross doesn't have to be on a sixpence every time, as there are several people who can get on the end of it.

I'm not sure Ulloa is good running at the keeper with the ball at his feet. I can think of several occasions (yesterday just being the latest) where he has been through with the ball and struggled with some aspect of it (getting the ball under control, placing the ball over/around the keeper but in the goal, running around the keeper etc). His strength is getting on the end of crosses or balls into the box.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Orlandi is far to lightweight to play in the centre of midfield. We got away with it yesterday against quite a poor side. The truth is we have looked far weaker in the last two games with him in the side. You can afford one luxury player in the side, but not two (Buckley) and certainly not three(Lingard).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Orlandi is far to lightweight to play in the centre of midfield. We got away with it yesterday against quite a poor side. The truth is we have looked far weaker in the last two games with him in the side. You can afford one luxury player in the side, but not two (Buckley) and certainly not three(Lingard).
But the problems that are attributed to Ulloa are in fact the problems of the midfield.

Without Orlandi and to a lesser extent Stephens there's nobody providing Ulloa with anything to work with.
Buckley needs to hug the line more.
Lingard is the luxury.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Why on earth would you send him back? So what do you do if lua lua and Buckley get injured?

Always wonder what goes through your head sometimes.

i don't think it's that crazy a suggestion if what he meant was that Lingard needs to start on the bench in the playoffs and, if Man Utd are going to be dicks about it and recall him if we don't put him in the starting lineup, then so be it. what with these mystery pills he's apparently popping to "settle his stomach" before games and the fact that he looks like he needs to eat quite a few Amex pies, i'm really not expecting him to shine in the rough and tumble, pressure situation of the playoffs. he is the kind of player who might have an impact in the last 20 minutes or so. in my opinion.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Is this real or a myth that Lingard has to play?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is this real or a myth that Lingard has to play?

I've heard of teams putting clauses into loan deals that mean a club pays less if they use a loan player than if he doesn't, and some that have recall options if a player isn't used often enough. I don't know if there are 'must play' clauses, or if they contravene 3rd party ownership rules, and the other clauses are ways around it. So, such clauses exist. I don't know which, if any, are in the Lingard deal, I wouldn't be surprised by any of them, but I don't believe it has been officially confirmed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here