Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby

SomeDerbyFan

May 3, 2014
Hi chaps, just want to congratulate you lot in making the play-offs two years in a row, no easy feat. Particularly pleased you pipped Reading to the post because of my hatred of Nigel Adkins, stemming back from his Soton days where he always struck me as a smug b*stard.

I must admit the general feeling on our forum (dcfc fans, if you're interested) is that you were the ones we wanted to play. I mean no offence by this and I definitely don't underestimate you slightly, but you were the best draw for us mainly because we've done the double over you this season where as we'd struggled against Reading. You also seem to play decent football, which suits us massively as we've struggled against physical teams that come to limit us rather than play themselves (Wigan did that to great effect). However saying that, I feel like we got you lot at the right time at the start of the season and the game at our place could have gone either well. Ulloa seems a cracking player and one I'd kill to sign if we went up as he's similar to Chris Martin but considerably stronger in the air (something we don't really have up top).

But, I was just wondering what your thoughts about us and the tie were? We've really had the best season for a long time, considering the last few years have been mid-table and dull. At the start of the year we'd have been pretty chuffed to be in your position right now, but we're finding ourselves disappointed with 3rd.

I've already said that this tie was the best result for neutrals and wish you all the best :cheers:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Form goes out the window now as palace proved last year, see you on Thursday!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
We're big underdogs but we play best against good opposition that don't park the bus.

Anything could happen, and I can't wait.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If we win i bet you won't see this Derby fan for dust.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
Its ironic really that we probably think you are the best draw for us as well, as opposed to Wigan or QPR, despite you doing the double over us, finishing third and scoring the most amount of goals in the division!

Mar 2, 2014
Derby beat us twice this season, of course you'd want to play us. We felt very confident last season, against Palace. We'd played out a 0-0 draw in the first leg away and effectively it became a one-off game at the Amex. We all felt we'd take them apart.

That feeling isn't there this season, so I suspect we'll be better prepared. We're a weaker team this season, but we have nothing to fear. This is a bonus for us this season, so if Derby beat us over two legs, then fair play. They've finished 3rd, they deserve a spot in the final. You'll have to earn it though, lads.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Reading your forum it looks exactly like ours before we played palace last season. You should beat us by 2 or 3 over the two legs going on form. Form goes out of the window at this stage though...

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I thought we were awful in the home game to Derby and they looked pretty average but that was enough to win the game. The away game I think we were unfortunate, ball popped up nicely for Bamford and it was a great strike. I didn't see anything in either game to massively worry me going into the play-offs though.

They're obviously a good side but I think we can be just as good as them when we're playing well, they've just been more consistently good than we have. It could go either way. I'm just delighted we're involved. If we lose this year I don't think it will be anywhere near as gutting as last year. Last year we were so good whereas this year we haven't hit those highs, plus it wont be the scum beating us.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If we get strong refs we stand a chance. There was lots of niggly stuff that wasn't picked up on when Derby played down here. There should be zero tolerance on shirt pulls and little fouls.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
[MENTION=29339]SomeDerbyFan[/MENTION] The Albion function best as plucky underdogs. Some might say that's about the only time we play up to our true potential. Be afraid. Be VERY afraid! :lol:

SomeDerbyFan

May 3, 2014
A lot of fans perhaps over confident on our forum, I'm personally not too sure; especially after what happened last year. It's a case of you now being underdogs, where I thought people would have backed Reading over us. The fact that people would rather play us than QPR or Wigan says a lot about people's view of us, people don't REALLY believe we're good because we weren't tipped at the start of the season. It's like they're expecting us top become crap again any game soon. Luckilly, we really don't have arorgance in our squad, they're an honest bunch with no big-time charlies about. Don't expect us to take you lightly.

Our form's been good recently and it's clicked once more. When we played you at our place it was when the wind had really been taken out of our sails by 3 losses on the bounce after Wigan, Chelsea and Leicester. It was a pretty spawny win, but be warned we're a completely different animal when firing on all cylinders.

I can't predict what the result will be at your place but I think we'll win at PP.

I must admit the general feeling on our forum (dcfc fans, if you're interested) is that you were the ones we wanted to play. I mean no offence by this and I definitely don't underestimate you slightly, but you were the best draw for us mainly because we've done the double over you this season

Again no disrespect to you, but probably many of us here would have picked you as the team we'd prefer to play among the 3. That's not because you haven't had a great season, but precisely because you have, you've overachieved with what looks like an upper midtable squad of players. SM because he was a recent figure of fun hasn't really got the respect he deserves for that, he's probably done an even better job than Rosler, who has been widely praised.

The cup format for me tends to favour quality of squad over 46-game workmanlike virtues, so that's why I'm happy the better squads of QPR and Wigan will take themselves out. Whether we like it not, it was the flashes of Prem class of Zaha that decided it last season.

I think most would agree that Brighton and Derby are behind those other two in terms of squad, but who has the better of us two is an interesting question. I'd say it was us slightly but I'm biased :)

We were terrible at home against you but that was one of Oscar's opening games and the away game was a fairer reflection, where I think we deserved a draw.

I think if we play to our best and get our best attacking talents on the pitch at the same time, we will make Wembley. What I think is a massive advantage to you though is that MacLaren is clearer on what his best team is. But there is no "favourite" and Derby fans should be careful about approaching this in the way we did last season :)

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
I am now much more careful not to be over confident in playoffs. For similar reasons you guys see us as the best team to play we probably feel the same against Derby. Wigan and QPR have ridiculously strong squads. Over the season they have had their problems but in a head to head the power of there squads is worrying.
Don't get me wrong I would say Derby are favourites to beat Brighton. I just think it will be a close game with some nice football being played. My knowledge of Derby squad is fairly limited but I was under the impression that similar to Brighton you are using several loanees? My point being both of is are unlikely to compete financially with the parachute payment assisted teams. Of which there will be more next season. It's the best opportunity both clubs can hope for these days.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Ironically, although Derby are a very good side it will suit us a lot more if you come to the Amex and try to attack us, we are a considerably better side when teams try to attack us. Also the second leg being away will suit us more.

Personally I see you as big favourites of course but the play offs are a total lottery and you can never really predict anything. Who knows eh.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I would have chosen Derby County as opponents for much the same reason as others on here. This is not to say I am ignorant of their achievements, or under-estimating their talent, it is just to say that I would rather play Wigan Athletic and QPR in a one-off match.

My biggest concern is reaching the final and being beaten. Most appear to be approaching the play-offs as an unexpected, and a little surreal, bonus. But if we reach the final there will be real hopes and expectations at stake.

A match at Wembley would be a bonus though, as we get to keep all the gate money if we lose.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here