Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post your memories of past Albion vs Derby games here

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Stand out for me was the League Cup match at the Goldstone. Packed ground, amazing atmosphere. I seem to remember Derby had been playing Champion's League football not long before whilst we were on the up as Division 3 side. Wardy scored early for us only for Charlie George to equalise for them. We lost the replay but there was a massive Albion following at the Baseball Ground but played well in defeat losing 2-1 I think with Graham Cross scoring for us. It was a long time ago and I was worse for wear at both games so some of the above could actually be incorrect, but those really were fabulous days to be following the Albion, as they are today.

The Ravenelli game at Withdean with a late winning goal by Kerry Mayo was also a great day.

Others?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think the best one was the league cup match. I think Ward scored in 35 secs or something crazy. Leighton James equalised if I recall.

I do remember CMS scoring a great winner against them at Pride Park and Vicente's mazy dribble when he hit the bar.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think the best one was the league cup match. I think Ward scored in 35 secs or something crazy. Leighton James equalised if I recall.

I do remember CMS scoring a great winner against them at Pride Park and Vicente's mazy dribble when he hit the bar.

Think the OP was right, it was Charllie George who got theirs?

As for other memories, game at Pride Park when Virgo was pushed in the back and fell on the ball in the penalty area. Ref gave a pen and not a foul. Travesty!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Think the OP was right, it was Charllie George who got theirs?

As for other memories, game at Pride Park when Virgo was pushed in the back and fell on the ball in the penalty area. Ref gave a pen and not a foul. Travesty!

Definitely Leighton James, just double checked (because feeling old and my memory is failing me.....:lolol: )

D

Deleted User X18H

Tuesday 6th September 1983 a few days after that Chelsea match . Won 1-0 I think .
20 years later a Pride Park in the week before Christmas super performance by FDM but lost 1-0

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
POURING rain at Withdean, Ravanelli on the bench and a late, late winner from Kerry Mayo. :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Definitely Leighton James, just double checked (because feeling old and my memory is failing me.....:lolol: )

Quite right, I had to double check because I didn't believe it! Derby had one hell of a team, not a bad keeper either :lolol:

GoalkeeperGraham Moseley
Right backTony Macken
DefenderRod Thomas
DefenderColin Todd
Defender/Centre backRoy McFarland
Midfielder/DefenderSteve Powell
MidfielderArchie Gemmill
MidfielderBruce Rioch
MidfielderLeighton James
Midfielder/Left backHenry Newton
ForwardCharlie George

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My first ever Albion game, Brighton v Derby at the Goldstone.... we lost 2-1

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Was only 10 but recall a bit of it. Over 33,000.....it was packed that night.

DC1.JPG

DC2.JPG

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Quite right, I had to double check because I didn't believe it! Derby had one hell of a team, not a bad keeper either :lolol:

GoalkeeperGraham Moseley
Right backTony Macken
DefenderRod Thomas
DefenderColin Todd
Defender/Centre backRoy McFarland
Midfielder/DefenderSteve Powell
MidfielderArchie Gemmill
MidfielderBruce Rioch
MidfielderLeighton James
Midfielder/Left backHenry Newton
ForwardCharlie George

Roy MacFarland and Colin Todd what a pairing, I'm amazed we even scored!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Tuesday 6th September 1983 a few days after that Chelsea match . Won 1-0 I think .
20 years later a Pride Park in the week before Christmas super performance by FDM but lost 1-0

First win of that season. I stood on the east terrace for that one.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Stand out for me was the League Cup match at the Goldstone. Packed ground, amazing atmosphere. I seem to remember Derby had been playing Champion's League football not long before whilst we were on the up as Division 3 side. Wardy scored early for us only for Charlie George to equalise for them. We lost the replay but there was a massive Albion following at the Baseball Ground but played well in defeat losing 2-1 I think with Graham Cross scoring for us. It was a long time ago and I was worse for wear at both games so some of the above could actually be incorrect, but those really were fabulous days to be following the Albion, as they are today.

Was the home game the one when we had a crowd of nearly 30,000 or something for a reserves match beforehand as the tickets were being sold that night? My memory is a bit hazy.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
76 is the obvious one already mentioned ... what a memorable Albion line up and a 33k crowd - mega!

The only ones I remember being at are the last two at the Amex - a win last season and the defeat at the start of this. Despite Derby's great season, I didn't think they were anything special in August. Of course often neither are we, but we were unlucky to lose that game and have nothing to fear in this semi. I think the teams are pretty evenly matched and it may boil down to a Zaha moment.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
mid eighties at the old Baseball ground. Remember a lot of casuals in the Brighton end making a lot of noise.

Seem to remember the programme that day having a picture on the front of Derby fans away at Portsmouth i think or somewhere on the south coast. looked pretty impressive to me as a young lad.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was at Pride Park for the win there, was that last season or the one before? One of the better versions of the flat pack stadiums I thought. Think Mackail-Smith scored.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Vicente at home, incredible run...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here