Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laptop Expert/Engineer?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Wondered if anyone can help.

Replaced the HD on my Dell about a year ago as I bought a model prone to overheating.

All OK until about 6 months ago when it was installing regular windows updates and then wouldn't restart. Somehow I managed to get it going again and same thing happened. To overcome the issue I just switched off automatic updates.

Recently had an issue with another bit of s/w that needs to use (??) .NET framework and given a load of updates weren't installed I tried again. Same result (doh) only this time I can't get in to restore at all.

I've run diagnostics and the code I get is 2000-0146 in the Hard Drive area

Have tried to go through set up and repair but it says unable to repair.

Is this terminal or has anyone any ideas to help? Happy to switch off updates again if I could just get in!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If you'd moved to Seaford I could have recommended a great place to take it. :smile:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Wondered if anyone can help.

Replaced the HD on my Dell about a year ago as I bought a model prone to overheating.

All OK until about 6 months ago when it was installing regular windows updates and then wouldn't restart. Somehow I managed to get it going again and same thing happened. To overcome the issue I just switched off automatic updates.

Recently had an issue with another bit of s/w that needs to use (??) .NET framework and given a load of updates weren't installed I tried again. Same result (doh) only this time I can't get in to restore at all.

I've run diagnostics and the code I get is 2000-0146 in the Hard Drive area

Have tried to go through set up and repair but it says unable to repair.

Is this terminal or has anyone any ideas to help? Happy to switch off updates again if I could just get in!
Is this Windows 7? I had similar twice on my desktop PC recently (dunno about the code though) -first time I managed to get round it by formatting the drive and reinstalling (as I had a Windows DVD) but the second time was a hard drive failure and I had to replace the HDD.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yes, Windows 7

No disc to reinstall but have just managed to get to System Recovery Options and I'm trying to restore back a couple of days before I installed the updates. If another HD was needed think I'd lob the piece of shit in the bin :(

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Yes, Windows 7

No disc to reinstall but have just managed to get to System Recovery Options and I'm trying to restore back a couple of days before I installed the updates. If another HD was needed think I'd lob the piece of shit in the bin :(

Good luck then :thumbsup:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
It sounds to me if you have a Hard drive issue and it has corrupted your OS. If you have a external drive you could try using an imaging tool to create a copy of your disk to a file on an external drive. You can then buy a new disk and restore the image. The problem is if it is corrupted. You will still need to repair it. You could then by a DVD for eBay.

Clonezilla is a free imaging tool you can use. Link below

http://arga.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/how-to-properly-clone-a-windows-7-system-partition-with-clonezilla/

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It sounds to me if you have a Hard drive issue and it has corrupted your OS. If you have a external drive you could try using an imaging tool to create a copy of your disk to a file on an external drive. You can then buy a new disk and restore the image. The problem is if it is corrupted. You will still need to repair it. You could then by a DVD for eBay.

Clonezilla is a free imaging tool you can use. Link below

http://arga.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/how-to-properly-clone-a-windows-7-system-partition-with-clonezilla/

No external drive and tbh I'm fed up having had previous probs and replacing the HD.

Couldn't make system restore work, it wasn't showing me dates/times back beyond yesterday when it was updating/installing loads of stuff, having not done it in 4 or so months

Think I might just call it a day!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
No external drive and tbh I'm fed up having had previous probs and replacing the HD.

Couldn't make system restore work, it wasn't showing me dates/times back beyond yesterday when it was updating/installing loads of stuff, having not done it in 4 or so months

Think I might just call it a day!

When i suggest an external drive. I ment like a USB drive. It just needs enough space to fit the image on.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Machine should be new enough to boot from a USB stick.

Download Ultimate Boot CD (sadly most computer problems require use of a computer). Create bootable USB http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2405

Run test disk, then you will know. Can also use another program on UBCD to nuke your drive if its ok ready for a clean install.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
When i suggest an external drive. I ment like a USB drive. It just needs enough space to fit the image on.

Download Ultimate Boot CD (sadly most computer problems require use of a computer). Create bootable USB http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2405

Run test disk, then you will know. Can also use another program on UBCD to nuke your drive if its ok ready for a clean install.

Trying both of these .... cheers!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Thanks I started but it got way too complicated and given earlier comments I made about recurring problems with this Dell pup I took the easier "click and collect" option.

Thanks for the help/advice though, appreciated

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Thanks I started but it got way too complicated and given earlier comments I made about recurring problems with this Dell pup I took the easier "click and collect" option.

Thanks for the help/advice though, appreciated

No problem. If you do ever have spare mucking about on computer time I would recommend making a the bootable USB stick though. Pop it in a drawer for future emergencies and one day you may get to feel incredibly smug.

matey

Mar 16, 2014
I got a Dell Inspiron that was over heating and switching off. Upgraded the BIOS firmware and since been ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here